Turkish get up as Tabata?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

BHK
Rookie
Rookie

Turkish get up as Tabata?

Post by BHK » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:22 am

Is this an option in a tabata style workout? (Alternating sides)
It seems like its a good choice as far as being a compound movement, but it does take longer to complete one rep of a TGU than most others, squat, chins, etc. and the 20 second mark could come 1/2 way through a rep.
If the goal in a tabata is 8 reps per 20 seconds, I don't see that happening for me. Would less reps be ok using the tabata approach?
Just a thought, now that I read my post over, maybe it's not a good choice.

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:35 am

They're probably not the best choice for timed workout. Turkish Get Ups are a relatively technical exercise, and usually performed in a slow and controled manner. Racing the clock could cause you to compromise good form. Likewise, fatiuge could lead to mistakes in execution. This also depends on how familiar you are with the exercise. If Turkish Get Ups are second nature for you, it may be less of a problem.

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:53 am

I agree on that. You would be better off doing something like a dumbbell snatch, thruster, burpee, etc.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:29 pm

As a Tabata, I can't see how you'd get them off. I've done BJJ getups - essentially, a TGU with no weight, arm held horizontal as a guard instead of vertical. They are much faster than a TGU, but essentially the same exercise (but with a breakfall from the top, not a mirror of the up portion). Even those as a Tabata can be a bit tricky because you won't get near double-digit reps without rushing through them.

You can do timed TGU workouts but I think they need to be longer. I learned how to do TGUs by practicing a few reps, and then doing a workout that Mike Rutherford suggested for a group workout:

10 TGUs (5 left, 5 right)
10 pushups

Max rounds in 20 minutes.

I think I got like 7 rounds, using a 7kg dumbbell for my TGUs. I was a sweaty pile of Peter lying on the floor after that. I haven't tried that specific one again, but it was a good one. I'd try something like that with TGUs and use faster exercises for a Tabata.

Peter

Onlyethic
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Onlyethic » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:33 pm

There's also the prospect of the weight wobbling and slipping out of your grip-- and, with your arm straight up above you, guess where it's going...

BHK
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BHK » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:22 am

Thanks PDel and others,I am going to try the 20 minute/ TGU/ pushup max rounds idea instead. I can't do the BJJ get up at home with a breakfall (yet) because I don't have a mat to breakfall on. I do all my supplemental training at home, so some options are a bit limited until I buy more goodies (like a mat) for the basement. great suggestion to remember.
I love how exhausted I am after doing a 5x5alternating (essentially 10 reps per set) TGU routine. It has showed me some weak links i probably never considered.

Onlyethic
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Onlyethic » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:53 pm

I did Pete's 20 minutes 10TGU's, 10 pushups today. the pushups were much easier than expected, but by about rd. 5 the 6kg dumbbell felt like it weighed 100lb.

Goodtimes. Will have to work on that.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:24 pm

Hey, it's not mine...it was in a Crossfit Journal article by Mike Rutherford (http://coachrut.blogspot.com). But it's a killer, because the pushups aren't much of a "break" for your body (you're still keeping the body rigid for the pushups, and using your arms to push), and they are over way too quickly.

It's my kind of workout - very simple (I don't need to expend brainpower thinking about what's next, how many reps of what, etc.) and it's deceptively simple. I vastly prefer workouts with a few complimentary exercises than ones full of "10 of these, 20 of those, 15 of these, then 10 more of the first, 30 of something else..." that cause me to lose track of what I'm doing.

BHK
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BHK » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:41 pm

pdellorto wrote:Hey, it's not mine...it was in a Crossfit Journal article by Mike Rutherford (http://coachrut.blogspot.com). But it's a killer, because the pushups aren't much of a "break" for your body (you're still keeping the body rigid for the pushups, and using your arms to push), and they are over way too quickly.

It's my kind of workout - very simple (I don't need to expend brainpower thinking about what's next, how many reps of what, etc.) and it's deceptively simple. I vastly prefer workouts with a few complimentary exercises than ones full of "10 of these, 20 of those, 15 of these, then 10 more of the first, 30 of something else..." that cause me to lose track of what I'm doing.
Amen, it's easier to keep track of a simple routine. I like to keep moving without much thought and be able to remember what i just did so as to keep track of my progress. I finished my shoulder workout yesterday with a Push-up Tabata...... I was a lifeless jellyfish on the floor after round 8, I couldn't even get any reps the last 8 seconds of round 8, i was just holding myself up off the floor. I was actually lying on the floor afterwards thinking about the white chalk line they draw around a body on the floor after they find it..... Would have been tough with all the sweat.. I'm still tired today...

daniel4738

Post by daniel4738 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:45 am

I was cruising over on the Gymjones website after the thread on the 300 workout and decided to have a go at one of the circuits on the schedule page

90 pull ups
10 Get ups
80 Pushups (using dumbells)
20 Get ups
70 Atomic sit ups
30 Get ups
60 Squats @40kg (bar+2x10kg)
40 Get Ups

The Get ups were done with 10kg dumbell for the first 10/20 then 7.5kg for the last 30/40.

I was very nearly sick at the end. And I haven't stopped eating all morning either :D

Damned hard workout

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:45 pm

That's one of those "how many reps is it? What's next?" kind of workouts I don't like. I loose track of the reps...it would be great to do if I had a coach telling me what to do and counting my reps. I could concentrate solely on form and go. But yeah, that looks hard but fun.

What's an Atomic Situp, by the way? The only one I know of is a prank to pull on new lifters. Some friends tried it on me, but I suspected their motives and "accidently" kicked one of the in the groin while he was getting into position.* That ended my only Atomic Situp. I suspect the Gym Jones version is an actual exercise.

Peter

* Interestingly, the guy I nailed was a total roid-head. Everyone at this warehouse job I got took Anadrol, all bought from him. He was built like a gorilla from the waist up, but had legs like linguini.

daniel4738

Post by daniel4738 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:50 am

No idea what an atomic sit up is, for some reason I think it's a sit up where you lie flat on the floor with your arms by your side, then pull your knees up towards your chest, lower and ensure your feet/shoulders touch the floor before repeating. Sometimes known as a curled sit up.

A google search for atomic sit up does yield funny results.

I am really feeling some soreness in the muscles where my bicep connects to the elbow and where the forearm reaches the elbow ... it hurts to straighten my arms :)

I don't have a coach, i was pretty ill over Xmas with a really nasty lung infection, I move to another country for 6 months in February and my girlfriend had a mole removed last week ... I haven't had much time to train the past weeks, but hitting it hard for 45minutes certainly relieves the stress.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:35 am

Here's another Mike Rutherford TGU workout for you:

http://coachrut.blogspot.com/2008/01/me ... ft_21.html

It's 5 singles of Snatch Grip Deadlifts, rest 2-5 minutes, and then 10 minutes of:

"How many reps can you complete in 10:00
Dumbbell Swing 1 (right)
Get-up 1 (right-Down to supine position and then return to upright)..switch arms
Dumbbell Swing 1 (left)
Get-up 1 (left)

Start the swing from the extended overhead position. Select a load you can comfortable handle for 10:00."

Sounds killer. I'm filing that one to try, either after the DLs or as its own stand-alone workout (maybe combined with another, different 10 minute workout).

Peter

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:38 am

Pete, don't know if you noticed,but coach Rut has been running an ME/Blackbox form of crossfit on his blog since the first of the year. Starting the second cycke now.
Tim

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:29 pm

I noticed last week that everything he's posted has been ME plus metcon. I'm happy to see it, the ME variation of the cycle is very popular...it's to have one scheduled out by an experienced coach.