Is this too much?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, parth, stuward

tostig
Apprentice
Apprentice

Is this too much?

Post by tostig » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:52 pm

Background: I have dumbells and a bench at home which I use twice a week. So I go to the gym twice a week for what I don't have at home: treadmill, weight machines and barbells.

My routine at the gym is:
Barbells - Stiff leg dead lift, dead lift, Good Morning, Squat, Bench Press
then I go onto the machines for backrow, shoulders, biceps, triceps, abs.

Question: Are the barbell exercises too much? I mean are they either duplicating muscle groups or am I over-training? Should I split the barbell routines? Or is it ok what I am doing?

Thanks

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:12 pm

You have 3 deadlift variations in a row and then go into Squats.

Do squats first and then do 1 deadlift and give it some intensity. I recommend back squat and stiff legged deadlift one workout, front squat and deadlift in the other. Goodmornings are fine for variety.

You should use the barbell for rows and shoulders as well. Bent Rows and shoulder presses are both good free weights exercises.

What set/rep scheme do you use?

tostig
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by tostig » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:52 pm

My reps are 12/10/8.

I do the stiff leg dead lift because I thought it was good for my lower back. But it turns out to be a hamstring exercise.

So I introduced the good-morning for the lower back.

I do the squat for my quads and the dead lift is supposed to be a good overall exercise for the legs and the back.

If I learn about the bent row and should press, then I can practically do my entire workout in one location. I just hope I won't keep others waiting.

Thanks.

stuward

Post by stuward » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:40 am

The deadlift, stiff leg deadlift and goodmorning all work hamstrings, lower back and all use the glutes as the prime mover. All are slightly different but you only need one per workout.

The bent row and shoulder press are definately worth learning. The descriptions on this site are quite good on those exercises. For the bent row, use the variation where the bar starts on the floor and the back is held horizintal. You will focus more on the middle back and less on the traps that way. Your traps will get a workout from deadlifting and if you need more do shrugs or farmers walks.

You're right about the one location. I do practically my entire workout in a power rack or on the floor which works out great in my gym because everyone else, except my friends, are on the machines.