Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Wouter
Associate Member
Associate Member

Acne and protein

Post by Wouter » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:17 pm

Hello, I've got a question about acne.
My family says that my acne is aggrevated because I've been taking protein (casein and whey). I really don't believe it but I don't know what else could aggrevate it. Before I had very minor acne, now it's pretty bad.

Could it be that it is aggrevated because I don't go outside a lot (winter)?

stuward

Post by stuward » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:22 pm

Wouter

First read up on it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acne

There is no way that protein is causing acne. Non lifters think that every supplement is a steroid. They need to be educated. The likely cause is hormones and stress. Make sure you get proper recovery and watch your diet.

Stu

Damien
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Damien » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:18 pm

wash your face and brush your teeth after a meal that agitates your acne i.e greasy food or even a protein shake.It sounds weird but I wash my face up to 3 times a day. Acne sucks

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:22 pm

From the wiki acne article:
A recent study, based on a survey of 47,335 women, did find a positive epidemiological association between acne and consumption of partially skimmed milk, instant breakfast drink, sherbet, cottage cheese, and cream cheese.[11] The researchers hypothesize that the association may be caused by hormones (such as several sex hormones and bovine IGF-I) present in cow milk. Though there is evidence of an association between milk and acne, the exact cause is unclear. Most dermatologists are awaiting confirmatory research linking diet and acne but some support the idea that acne sufferers should experiment with their diets, and refrain from consuming such fare if they find such food affects the severity of their acne.[12]
This isn't a smoking gun, but you might try reducing your milk protein consumption to see if the acne subsides. Milk allergies frequently manifiest themselves dermatologically.

Wouter
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Wouter » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:36 pm

Thanks for the replies, I've already heard of the possibility that milk might cause acne. Actually I consume quite a lot of dairy: with my oatmeal, with my protein shakes, some yoghurt after meals.
I'll try to reduce it, but I really disgust the flavor of oatmeal with water or a protein shake with water.

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:05 pm

Switch to soy or rice milk for a while and see if that helps.

rsx_doc
n00b
n00b

Can't get enough of Soy

Post by rsx_doc » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:48 am

Yeah, Soy milk is a great alternative. I just feel bad that I did not discover Soy milk earlier. Almost same amount of calories as lowfat milk but creamier and tastier. Also doesn't go bad soon.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:47 pm

Does anyone have the scientific reference to soy and t reduction?

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:16 am

Wouter--Actually, the best place to start for advice about your acne is your family doctor. Acne is slightly affected by some dietary factors, but it's mainly a condition that is determined genetically. Your doctor has probably read about recent findings and research, and can advise you how to take care of it.

One caution about the face washing. Do it gently and with a mild soap. Acne is NOT caused by dirty skin, and washing can increase the inflammation of the acne. Don't rub, just pat, and pat it dry afterwards. Washing too often will dry your skin, and this can also make the acne worse.

Here's a link that looks fairly complete and balanced:

http://www.medicinenet.com/acne/article.htm

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:41 pm

Another thing to keep in mind, is that when someone gets acne from testosterone injections, they are going to blame it something else. That is likely where this myth came from. They will also say creatine gave them the increase in size and strength.

So your acne has nothing to do with anything you are eating. It is just the changing hormone levels that happen naturally when you are young.

Wouter
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Wouter » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:15 am

Thanks for all the replies, I've found something which helps them diminish: a face-washing product that treats the causes of acne.