Plat form shoes

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

corless319
Novice
Novice

Plat form shoes

Post by corless319 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:24 pm

I'm an aspiring athlete and I'm considering buying plat form shoes to increase my vertical. I have read that you could gain up to 9 inches on your vertical. Being a fast gainer and big gainer I would think I could gain 9 inches or more. As a weight lifter I have made total gains so far of 48 lbs. If anyone has tried these shoes or has a better information on them please let me know. Thanks.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: Plat form shoes

Post by Stephen Johnson » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:39 pm

corless319 wrote:I'm an aspiring athlete and I'm considering buying plat form shoes to increase my vertical. I have read that you could gain up to 9 inches on your vertical. Being a fast gainer and big gainer I would think I could gain 9 inches or more. As a weight lifter I have made total gains so far of 48 lbs. If anyone has tried these shoes or has a better information on them please let me know.
I've never heard of platform shoes being used as a plyometric aid - the only platform shoes that I was familiar with prior to your message were the kind guys wore in discos in the early to mid 1970s.

A google search came up with this article. The viewpoint is that platform shoes don't turn Clark Kents into Supermen - in fact, they're Kryptonite to your Achilles tendon. I don't have any data to support my opinion, butthis ad that I saw for platform shoes looked bogus, even though it contained the endorsement of a Tennessee Titan strength coach.

The fitness field is flooded with gizmos that make getting in shape "easier." People would rather take shortcuts than pay their dues, even if the shortcuts don't go anywhere.

shaf_43
Rookie
Rookie

Post by shaf_43 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:50 pm

I'm going to agree with Stephen on this one, all the platform shoes do is place constant tension on the "calf" muscles. This tension doesn't do much more then make you really sore. You are on the right track but perhaps try this train of thought...

Do lifts/exercises that mimic what you want to gain ie. for a better vertical try explosive leg exercises. Your coach, or even better, strength coach can prescribe some exercises to help you based on your age and overall goals.

If you like send me a PM and I would be happy to get some of that information and point you in the right direction.

Long story short...the shoes are a most likely a waste of money

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:02 am

I've seen several forms of plyo shoes, but I've never seen any hard evidence they actually help you.

If you're looking to increase your vertical, check here:

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articl ... _fab15.htm
Joe DeFranco's top 15 exercises for increasing your vertical.

He's got some nice videos of his athletes doing high box jumps on YouTube as well, but the article is more directly useful.

Hope that helps,

Peter (who has a pathetic vertical, but reads a lot...)

daniel4738

Post by daniel4738 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:18 am

pdellorto wrote:I've seen several forms of plyo shoes, but I've never seen any hard evidence they actually help you.

If you're looking to increase your vertical, check here:

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articl ... _fab15.htm
Joe DeFranco's top 15 exercises for increasing your vertical.

He's got some nice videos of his athletes doing high box jumps on YouTube as well, but the article is more directly useful.

Hope that helps,

Peter (who has a pathetic vertical, but reads a lot...)
I know you like the occasional crossfit workout so I though I would chime in on your poor verticle jump. I add jumping over a weights bench to my Burpees, not only does it make you a killer, but teaches you to activate those type 2 fibres on the get up (otherwise you trip and land on your face). It also means it makes the workout harder without taking something away from those burpee days.

amivan

Re: Plat form shoes

Post by amivan » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:40 am

corless319 wrote:I'm an aspiring athlete and I'm considering buying plat form shoes to increase my vertical. I have read that you could gain up to 9 inches on your vertical. Being a fast gainer and big gainer I would think I could gain 9 inches or more. As a weight lifter I have made total gains so far of 48 lbs. If anyone has tried these shoes or has a better information on them please let me know. Thanks.
I know a skateboarder that uses them, I'm not sure if they've made him any better, but his calves do look like they're hiding softballs in them. I'll have to ask next time I see him. I wouldn't place all my hopes in one product though.

corless319_

Post by corless319_ » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:33 pm

i've read more into these and now im sure they're a gimmick thanks everyone for the input.