Rear Delt exercise problems

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

trainer Chris
Rookie
Rookie

Rear Delt exercise problems

Post by trainer Chris » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:21 pm

well basically i have extreme pain in the joint where my clavical meets my shoulder joint. the only time it will flairs up is when i do DB bent over rear delt flys. thats it. if i do rows no pain if i do rear delt machine no pain. andi know my form is strict as hell. i always warm up with a light set of 8-12 then go heavier from their. anti inflamitories dont help and icy hot helps for a few hours until it wears off. i rested it for 3 straight weeks doing no exercise at all. and it started slow and its still killin me. i hope some educated guy out there can give me some direction as to physical therapy exercises i can do to strengthen it or what. i have also had rotator cuff surgery on that soulder 2 yrs ago and that part of my shoulder is fine.

Help a brother out!!!

shaf_43
Rookie
Rookie

Post by shaf_43 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:30 pm

Chris,

It sounds like you sprained your AC (acromialclavicular) joint. There are a couple of ligaments that cross that joint. It (the AC joint) in in a very "open" position when you are going through ROM in rear deltoid exercises, and not so much in rows...which would explain how there in pain in one and not the other.

Did you have a traumatic injury? ie. did you ram something with your shoulder? Do you work at a job that requires lifting? Those are the first questions that an MD will ask.

Unfortunately all of the wisdom from the wonderful people on this site will not compensate speaking with a physician which you should do especially after your extensive rest with no results. You (evaluator) really need to be present and do the "palpating" and muscle tests to give an accurate opinion/diagnosis.

In the mean time ice could help, and stay away from contact and racquet sports. Good Luck