Balanced Chest Development

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, parth, stuward

TheHeb
Apprentice
Apprentice

Balanced Chest Development

Post by TheHeb » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:52 pm

I know that benching at different angles (Decline, Flat, Incline) will work different parts of the chest vertically (Decline lower, Incline upper), but is there anyway to shift emphasis horizontally? When I bench I almost always feel it primarily in my outer chest, is there any way to work more the inner chest?

work of art
n00b
n00b

balanced chest development

Post by work of art » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:45 pm

If you are using a bar then you must bring your hands in closer to hit more inner chest and triceps. If you are using db's then start with a neutral grip and rotate your hands to pronated grip at the top.

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:00 am

I'm sure this has been discussed before but you can't work just 1 end of a muscle. It's like putting tension on 1 end of a string. It doesn't work.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:27 pm

yea, muscle fibers will go the length or width of a muscle and you can contract all or nothing. Plus you need separate neural connections.

So working inner and outer chest, or upper and lower abs, would require extensive surgery well beyond the current medical technology.
First you must cut the pec into 2. Then you put a bone in the middle. Then you find a place to attach either end of the bone to the rest of your skeleton. Then attach each side of all severed muscle fibers. You will need to create some connective tissue. Then you will need to run anew motor nerve. If the existing one is on the outer side, you must run a new motor nerve from the inner part. Not to mention, other nerves might need to be routed through the new connection. Then you have to attach it to the spinal chord and run it through there some how. Then you have to attach it to the brain. Then you need some brain surgery to so you can use the new neural connection. It is going to be really complex. You will probably need to grow various brain cells out of stem cells. Then you have to assemble them in the correct way to make all the chemical and electrical signals work right and interface with the rest of the brain. It's kind of the same way with abs if you want to do those as well. You probably put the bone in at the waist and attach it tot he hip bones. I think the hardest part is going to be the brain surgery. You could probably take bones and neurons from cadavers though.

Then when you heal up, you can work the separate sections independently. Or if you don't want to wait the 200 years for medical science to advance, you could just work them together. Totally old school, but it works.

lol

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:57 pm

Ha, I'm trying to imagine how you would work the inner pec. Ironman, do you work for Dr. Moreau part time or something?

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:30 am

Umm, no such thing. In a way there is an upper and lower chest (Sternal & Clavicular). Not left and right part of chest. My guess is that feeling your getting is at the accual ligament(s) since massive strain is put on that during benching & flys. Changing benching grips will add and remove emphasis on the target muscle as well the synergists & stabilizers.

corless319
Novice
Novice

Post by corless319 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:09 pm

I have noticed while lifting you can "shape" your chest vaguely. lol For instance when i was a kid i used to do wide grip bench press and then my chest became almost concave. I then was a moron and then brought my hands really close there for mainly working my triceps. there has to be a happy medium you have to work your chest completely to get an even shape. If you do declines i have heard it gives you a more squared look in your pecs i dont do declines. When you do your chest do flat incline decline cable cross overs do a little bit of everything to work your entire chest. Or get the surgery the other guy was talking about although i dont think your body would be attractive anymore lol. Im a huge fan of dbell incline bench press although my gyms dbells only go to 75 so its not like i can work much more past that. Dbell bench press also works stabalizer muscles if im not mistaken if i am let me know lol

corless319
Novice
Novice

Post by corless319 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:10 pm

iron i was told that by doing cable cross overs you are actualy focusing on the contraction of the pectoral muscles in a different way i dont know gues i know nothing lol

TheHeb
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by TheHeb » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:13 pm

Cool, thanks for responding you guys. I guess I'll just have to keep up what I'm doing and hope things will kinda even out.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:04 am

That is lore about crossovers. However it is still a fact that you can't contract part of a muscle fiber, and you also need multiple motor nerves. Unless you've had the Dr. Moreau special.