Myths of weight training working out etc

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

corless319
Novice
Novice

Myths of weight training working out etc

Post by corless319 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:37 pm

I know I'm a huge fan of information but there is so much misinformation out there. If you know any myths about weight training or what not please please let me know. Think of this as exrx's myth busters hahaha. I would love that information.

corless

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:25 pm

http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/Myths.html

You should do some research of your own into this.

js2003
Rookie
Rookie

Another myth with weight training...

Post by js2003 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:53 pm

That I have heard at the gym is that if you do not do lower body/legs with weights that the testosterone will not circulate through out your body and doing legs is the key otherwise only 1/2 your gets testosterone.

I asked this to my family doc and he just laughed and said this is urban myth

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:12 pm

It's half right. test and other hormones aren't site specific, that's correct, but without the large heavy movements, your lowering your natural ouput of these hormones.
Tim

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: Myths of weight training working out etc

Post by Stephen Johnson » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:43 pm

corless319 wrote:I know I'm a huge fan of information but there is so much misinformation out there. If you know any myths about weight training or what not please please let me know. Think of this as exrx's myth busters hahaha. I would love that information.
The biggest weight training myth is that you can attain meaningful strength and/or physique gains without hard work, planning and dedication. Judging from all the "Get Fit Quick" schemes, gizmos and supplements, that myth is alive and well.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:08 am

Stephen Johnson wrote:The biggest weight training myth is that you can attain meaningful strength and/or physique gains without hard work, planning and dedication. Judging from all the "Get Fit Quick" schemes, gizmos and supplements, that myth is alive and well.
Quoted for truth.

It's coupled with the myth that you'll get big, pro body-builder sized muscles if you lift too much. "Too much" generally being defined as "at all." Those often go hand-in-hand. So if you even lift a little bit, you'll get great results, and be in grave danger of looking exactly like Lou Ferrigno or Arnold Schwarzenegger. I can't tell you how many times I've heard that. "I don't want to get big..." Yeah, yeah, trust me, even if you want to get as big as Arnold most people are in no danger of it ever happening...

corless319
Novice
Novice

Post by corless319 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:14 am

Thanks iron maiden. I have already read that section of the site but thanks for the recomendation though. I was asking people who lift people who I can "talk" with about myths that they know of and or heard. I was hoping even you knew your own personal myths but that link was great anyways. I have heard, now I don't know if this is a myth, but I have heard if your trying to weight gain to gain as much muscle as possible cardio is bad cause it takes away from the potential muscle growth. Is that true or just another myth? I did the 0 cardio high calorie intake and a very simple weight training program with a lot of rest and recovery and I gained fast. That might have been from all the food I was eating so I'm not sure.

corless319
Novice
Novice

Post by corless319 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:17 am

the get big quick thing may work for beginers but obviously hard work is involved even people that take steroids don't just sit there and get big. Hard work is key to all workouts. If you take all the supplements in the world and just sit there then you'll get fat. haha [/quote]

sickboy
Novice
Novice

Post by sickboy » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:21 am

We should start a sticky with the "avoid at all cost" stupid stuff. One thing that makes me laugh a lot is the "abs gadget" with crazy name like "iron-abs pro II 2000" (use it once a week and get bigggg!). Or the "ab-chiller extreme edition" (sit on it, do one crunch while watching tv and look like Arnold the next day)

I know, any workout is better than non, but the ratio of the machine cost versus the actual benefits that you get from them makes me believe that they are more like scams/myths than fitness equipment.

Do you have any example of gadgets that make you feel like they are insulting your intelligence (knowledge) or that they are scams?

corless319
Novice
Novice

Post by corless319 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:40 am

haha good question sick boy. I was really into buying a pair of those platform shoes to supposedly "add nine inches to my vertical" I then ask around here all it would so would add undo stress to my calves and actually improve the chance of injury. Crappy. I wish people would do things that work and then make it FACT. I can't stand getting my hopes up over something and then having it be a bust.

TimD

Post by TimD » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:54 am

Some of those gadgets actually work to a degee. The BOSU balls are fine for certain exercises and for rehab, but certainly aren't the end all be all. Those push up handle thingys have a purpose, but I just go out on my back step and set up saw horses that provide the same thing. Plus, they're WAY too expensive. Most of that stuff, if you're creative, you can make or improvise up something anyway.

Coreless wrote
"I don't know if this is a myth, but I have heard if your trying to weight gain to gain as much muscle as possible cardio is bad cause it takes away from the potential muscle growth. Is that true or just another myth? I did the 0 cardio high calorie intake and a very simple weight training program with a lot of rest and recovery and I gained fast. That might have been from all the food I was eating so I'm not sure.*
I believe it's true, to a degree, anyway. It's well documented that unlike anaerobic exercises (weights), there is no stimulus to build back the muscle after the breakdown has occured. Someone just posted an article by Berardi that went into this in great detail. Think it was in the diet section under post workout nutrition. But the bottom line is that yes, if you're trying to put on a lot of weight, and fast, avoid EXCESSIVE cardio. I doubt seriously that 2-3 30 mins sessions/wk to keep your ole ticker healthy causes enough breakdown to interfere with weight gain.
Tim

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:16 am

pdellorto wrote:It's coupled with the myth that you'll get big, pro body-builder sized muscles if you lift too much. .
That view is especially common among women. It's been good to see women starting threads on this site in recent days asking questions about weight training. "Cardio Queens" who labor for hours on a treadmill have found that weight training will give them the curvy, toned bodies they want without turning themselves into the Incredible Hulk.

Add women shouldn't lift more than token weights to the list of myths.
TimD wrote: I doubt seriously that 2-3 30 mins sessions/wk to keep your ole ticker healthy causes enough breakdown to interfere with weight gain.
A person isn't fit, no matter what he can do in the weight room, if he gets winded climbing a flight of stairs or running a quarter mile. You don't need to run marathons, but you should be able to do at least 30 minutes of cardio. Just don't do it every day if you're bulking up. The idea that reasonable amonts of cardio is bad for weight trainers is another myth.
Last edited by Stephen Johnson on Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

corless319
Novice
Novice

Post by corless319 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:29 am

Awesome tim thanks. I was wondering about that. I now run weekly not sure how much but i do i play flag football so i run a bit. Also that running on concrete things is that a myth too? Saying its bad on the knees? the ground is ground.... i mean our knees are made of cushion is there any truth in that?

KPj

Post by KPj » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:29 am

The biggest 'Myth' that bothers me is...

3 sets of 8-10 reps = Hypertrophy.

It's not really a myth because it is true. I guess it's the holy grail of body building. It just gets taken too far in terms of people doing 3 x 8 for years and years and years. And when someone wants advice on their program, and you suggest changing the sets and rep numbers around, or changing them at all, they just can't do it. They look at you as if you just suggested that they drop Bicep Curls for Chins or something.

Oh, and I hate big heels on trainers (sneakers, not PT's). I'm not trying to start any kind of debate with this one, it just really annoys me. There was never any need for the heel lift, and the only reason there is a need now is because every one is used to wearing them now. They feel good if you've got crappy ankles. Put some flat shoes on or wlak bear footed and you feel like your walking on Bosu balls (again with the bosu balls, sorry).

I need to buy my Nike Frees from the net. Other than that, Chucks are about the only footwear you can get over here that don't sit a mile off the ground. I do have chucks for my big lifts, they're great, but Frees are the business for every day use. Agony at first though, because your ankles are usually all screwed up and your feet are packed with imbalances. Who decided to start raising heels? Why did they do it? I guess I may never know. At least i'll always get to moan about it :-)

* Breathes a sigh of relief *

KPj

Disclaimer: Last / Second rant excludes women and high heels ;-)

TimD

Post by TimD » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:43 am

Coreless wrote
*Also that running on concrete things is that a myth too? Saying its bad on the knees? the ground is ground.... i mean our knees are made of cushion is there any truth in that*
I don't know if that's a proven fact. What I do know from personal experience is that I've spent close to 30 years working shipboard, and I'm sure those steel decks didn't do my hips/knees any favors. I also know that Dr. Ken Cooper (the Cooper Institute), the person that back in the 70's brought aerobics up into the forefront, lately has done a turn around and advising against running longer distances-period-regardless of what surface it is, because it is taking its toll on the joints. He recommends brisk walks and other low impact forms; rowing machines, ellipticals, weight intervals, etc.
Tim