Myths of weight training working out etc

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:33 pm

Well think of it this way, when you run barefoot do you run on you heels or toes?

corless319
Novice
Novice

Post by corless319 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:34 pm

Amivan i think running in general is not so good for most tendons if you run flat footed or when i have fun flat footed my plantar fascia the tendon that funs along the bottom of my foot hurts. I feel that by running on my toes not all the way kinda like running while tip toeing gives me more of a bounce and less jolt to my knees hips etc. I have been reading a lot and think maybe my sprinting technique may be off. I want to be explosive from the start and then eventually stride it out I'll keep looking into it.

Hercules
n00b
n00b

Post by Hercules » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:35 pm

Myth: Don't go below parallel when squatting because it will hurt your knee(s).

This is definately a myth. We perform full range of motion exercises all the time; why can't we do the same with squats? As a football and weightlifting coach, I see all sorts of variations, most of which terminate above parallel. Teaching them the right way (below parallel) and breaking them of their current habits are not easy tasks. I also practice what I preach. Since perfecting my own technique I can squat a lot more and my quads are growing like never before. Going deep not only improves strength and size, but also thickens the connective tissue, thus preventing some forms of injury.

corless319
Novice
Novice

Post by corless319 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:37 pm

iron maiden i think youd almost have to run on your toes barefoot. At least in my opinion i wouldnt want to either a have my feet slapping down and i would want to protect my foot so i think i would run on my toes.

Also i have a question not so much as a myth. Guys have testosterone created by the testicles or so i have been told. So when a guy takes steroids from what i was told the testis shrink cause they arent needed as much. what do females use to get huge cause i seen some females that have made me feel tiny and from what i remember females have estregyn....??

corless319
Novice
Novice

Post by corless319 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:40 pm

hercules a football coach amazing. I'm an aspiring football player and have been reading over and over again that squating with full range of motion is good for you. When they say full range of motion they mean like ass to heels? Or just a lot more than parallel? I'm not small but i want to be bigger im not slow but i want to be faster and im not weak but i want to be stronger. I dont know. haha

amivan

Post by amivan » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:47 pm

ironmaiden708 wrote:Well think of it this way, when you run barefoot do you run on you heels or toes?
When I run barefoot I don't stay on my toes.

corless, have you ever been to an orthopedist?

Hercules
n00b
n00b

Post by Hercules » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:48 pm

corless319
I encourage my guys to go until their butt is about a foot from the floor. Of course, that depends on their height, too. You won't be able to do as much weight. Go light the first couple times you try it. As a beginner, your connective tissue isn't strong enough to support heavy weight at that depth.

corless319
Novice
Novice

Post by corless319 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:50 pm

haha amivan actually i tend to try to stay away from the dr's. Last time i seen a dr it was to get my hernia taken care of. I have been to the dentist but no other dr's. I try to live healthy be healthy and take care of myself if something doesnt feel good ie pain or discomfort while running I change it do where it feels comfortable. I did get a pedicure recently and the asian chick didnt say much about my feet hahha, btw a valentine gift from the gf lol

corless319
Novice
Novice

Post by corless319 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:52 pm

hercules you think i should just change me squat workout to that and then lower the weight? cause im parallel sqauting... my heaviest set to date was like 475 six times. I know if i went down that far I'd just fold. What level of football to you coach for?

amivan

Post by amivan » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:56 pm

corless319 wrote:haha amivan actually i tend to try to stay away from the dr's. Last time i seen a dr it was to get my hernia taken care of. I have been to the dentist but no other dr's. I try to live healthy be healthy and take care of myself if something doesnt feel good ie pain or discomfort while running I change it do where it feels comfortable. I did get a pedicure recently and the asian chick didnt say much about my feet hahha, btw a valentine gift from the gf lol
well the reason I brought it up was because you might need orthotics, or I guess you could do this pose running if it works for you, though it feels like blasphemy for me to say that..

corless319
Novice
Novice

Post by corless319 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:59 pm

amivan the reason i also run on my toes is so i can kinda lean forward while running. If i run kinda flat footed i feel like I'm running up and down not forward. By running on my toes like the ball of my foot right below the big toe i feel like gravity is helping me forward. I don't know I'm here to ask question get answers and find out what works best for me.

Back to the myth/question i had earlier what does the female body produce to gain muscle? We as guys have testosterone.... and i have seen some really jacked females I don't know

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:00 pm

amivan wrote:
stuward wrote:The latest trend is "pose running". This is running on your toes instead of heel toe.
Call me crazy but I can't see that being good for your Achilles tendon if you're really a runner (someone that runs most days of the week for 30-90 minutes by my book).
The links suggest that you need to get the technique right or it can cause injuries. It's not something you can switch back and forth with. I'm not a runner but it was a runner that told me about this.

Stu

Hercules
n00b
n00b

Post by Hercules » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:01 pm

corless319 wrote:hercules you think i should just change me squat workout to that and then lower the weight? cause im parallel sqauting... my heaviest set to date was like 475 six times. I know if i went down that far I'd just fold. What level of football to you coach for?
Yes, go deep. Parallel doesn't do much good. I coach high school now, but I'm working my way onto the college scene...

corless319
Novice
Novice

Post by corless319 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:04 pm

awesome will change it up then i think thursday today is bi's and back days. Also as a football coach/ strength coach what do you think would be the best football oriented workouts or would you not gear weight training towards that? I play flag now and will play semi pro this summer in my area. I just want to be a monster thats all haha

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:07 pm

When I run barefoot I don't stay on my toes.
So you slam your heels on the ground when you run on concrete?... or to clear up any miscommunication what I meant by "toes" is the balls of your feet.
Also i have a question not so much as a myth. Guys have testosterone created by the testicles or so i have been told. So when a guy takes steroids from what i was told the testis shrink cause they arent needed as much.
Thats basically it.
what do females use to get huge cause i seen some females that have made me feel tiny and from what i remember females have estregyn....??
One thing you have to know, women also have testosterone too just a lower level than men (a certain party of guys who live in california are questionable though...) and both also have E-S-T-R-O-G-E-N. Women will go on steroids too which all it is, is synthetic testosterone.