Myths of weight training working out etc

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

corless319
Novice
Novice

Post by corless319 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:13 pm

awesome ironmaiden always a cache of information thanks. LMAO on the certain guys in california hahaha although i know one chick who said she had the hots for this huge bodybuilder but he was gay? Wierd haha
Also the spot reduction myth i read that on here they say theres no such thing as losing fat in one area it has to be lost throughout the body and thats usually done with dieting adding cardio and just focusing and working out the area that has needs. I was told by some wierd ass old guy that fig leaves wrapped around the fatty midsection over night would tighten the fat in the area by taking somethign out of the skin through fig leave. I thought the guy was out of his mind. I don't know but i haven't found anything on fig tea leaves that would be so amazing on your body. I just think the guy was a little, or a lot off upstairs.

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:40 pm

Speaking of spot reductions, have you seen the new ads for the vibrating machines to "mobilize" the fat? I thought those went out in the 60s.
http://www.xmworks.com/products/vibroaction.htm
http://jeffthejock.wordpress.com/2007/1 ... e-fat-off/

Or how about "Pumped arms. Ripped abs. Legs of steel," it said. "Twelve pounds of muscle in six weeks," and "Results are easy, with just one simple workout, 20 minutes a day, three times a week." All for $25 a month.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/12/fashi ... ref=slogin

corless319
Novice
Novice

Post by corless319 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:16 pm

haha stu i think the last link was the best the guy got fit and everything was better although he had to do a lot more than the infomercials suggested im sure he doesnt regret it. I have wondered about bow flexes and always thought free weights were better due to the fact i did some research that said free weights ie benching squatting pose a threat to your exsistance so you try harder that way. Or so it read. I would love bowflex my pocket and my house wouldnt. I have a teeny two bedroom apartment with a woman a 4 yr old and practically a newborn. I think it would be nice though to work out in front of my eldest daughter though to instill healthiness into her psyche at a young age. Shes a beast with muscles already.

One time stu i went to the state fair they had this electo flex thing that was about $400 you put these sticky things over a certain area or muscles and the electric pulse flexes and relaxes your muscles over and over again it felt amazing. Is that something similiar to the vibrating thing or entirely different. After i used that electric thing my back felt pumped and it really really flexed me unlike i was used to it was crazy. awesome.

corless319
Novice
Novice

Post by corless319 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:26 pm

heres one i heard i dont know if its true or not. This guy that weighed 150 lbs was jacked as hell in his arms like huge veiny etc he said he limits his salt intake almost none and eat lean meats not fatty anything and he said thats how his arms got veiny and all that? that true? I mean obviously he worked out to get like that and all. I have bigish arms and i just have the veins in my forearms my biceps almost has a vein haha

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:28 pm

My gym has had a bowflex for a year or 2 and I have yet to see anyone use it.

I've heard of the electric zapper thing having some use for rehab. It's not as good as actually moving.

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:30 pm

corless319 wrote:heres one i heard i dont know if its true or not. This guy that weighed 150 lbs was jacked as hell in his arms like huge veiny etc he said he limits his salt intake almost none and eat lean meats not fatty anything and he said thats how his arms got veiny and all that? that true? I mean obviously he worked out to get like that and all. I have bigish arms and i just have the veins in my forearms my biceps almost has a vein haha
It probably helps with dehydration. Bodybuilders try to get the water out in order to look more ripped. T-nation had an article recently about it.

corless319
Novice
Novice

Post by corless319 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:45 pm

stuward wrote: It probably helps with dehydration. Bodybuilders try to get the water out in order to look more ripped. T-nation had an article recently about it.
Thats kinda what i thought but if you were a bodybuilder wouldnt it be tough to flex your ass off with constant different poses and all that without being hydrated? thats crazy.

amivan

Post by amivan » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:12 pm

stuward wrote:
amivan wrote:
stuward wrote:The latest trend is "pose running". This is running on your toes instead of heel toe.
Call me crazy but I can't see that being good for your Achilles tendon if you're really a runner (someone that runs most days of the week for 30-90 minutes by my book).
The links suggest that you need to get the technique right or it can cause injuries. It's not something you can switch back and forth with. I'm not a runner but it was a runner that told me about this.

Stu
I understand that you need to get the technique "right" but the thing is if you run on your toes/balls of your toes for a prolonged time it's going to shorten your Achilles tendon and that's going to cause the foot to stay supinated, basically, its going to lead to problems. I just would take this with a heavy grain of salt..

PS
I run midfoot -> slight heel when I am running (not sprinting).

sickboy
Novice
Novice

Post by sickboy » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:32 pm

This type of machines is what I was taking about earlier. The blowflex "x-treme pro ultimate iron-abs II 109.v2" must be added to the 'avoid' list.
Do people really believe that more expensive and complexly flashy is really better? I mean, what is wrong with the old fashioned iron? (or the local Gym). Does that machine really cost $1200???? For that cash you can get over 500 pounds of Olympic iron, a 500lb hex dumbell set and a mid sized power rack, and if you buy second handed stuff you can even add a treadmill, a pair of Nikefree and whey supply for a year.

I have a friend with one of those blowflex and last time I was over her place she had some clothes drying on it. That's a very expensive laundry rack.
Stu wrote:Speaking of spot reductions, have you seen the new ads for the vibrating machines to "mobilize" the fat? I thought those went out in the 60s.
http://www.xmworks.com/products/vibroaction.htm
http://jeffthejock.wordpress.com/2007/1 ... e-fat-off/

Or how about "Pumped arms. Ripped abs. Legs of steel," it said. "Twelve pounds of muscle in six weeks," and "Results are easy, with just one simple workout, 20 minutes a day, three times a week." All for $25 a month.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/12/fashi ... ref=slogin

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:15 pm

My parents have a bowflex and I never touch that peice of garbage...USELESS

amivan

Post by amivan » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:19 pm

stuward wrote:My gym has had a bowflex for a year or 2 and I have yet to see anyone use it.

I've heard of the electric zapper thing having some use for rehab. It's not as good as actually moving.
It's a crappy version of e-stim therapy at best.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:34 am

I understand that you need to get the technique "right" but the thing is if you run on your toes/balls of your toes for a prolonged time it's going to shorten your Achilles tendon and that's going to cause the foot to stay supinated, basically, its going to lead to problems. I just would take this with a heavy grain of salt..

PS
I run midfoot -> slight heel when I am running (not sprinting).
When running (and not sprinting), your heel is going to make contact with the ground. Even in sprinting, but the contact is minimal (if at all), the action should occur primarily at the balls of the feet. With sprinting, if you can do so with proper technique, you kind of 'float', partly because your actually using the correct muscles, and partly because you can make use of the elastic energy that gets stored.

Admittedly, i'm no expert on sprinting or running, and this logic baffled me at first due to the fact that in the weight room, you need to drive through your heels to activate the posterior chain. The weight room is a little different from running, though. As soon as I started including sprints in my program and working on proper technique, i 'got it' straight away. You can feel the difference immediately.

Had a look through some of my favourites and came across these,

This is a short blog post, but specifically mentioned what you said about the Achilles tendon which I thought was a good point,

http://ericcressey.blogspot.com/2007_11_01_archive.html

And this newsletter by the same author / coach has some great information on it, some very interesting studies as well. Some interesting stuff on barefoot running / training as well.

http://www.ericcressey.com/newsletter77.html

KPj

corless319
Novice
Novice

Post by corless319 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:05 am

Thats article was great kpj awesome stuff. I really need to dead lift. I consider myself a serious weight lifter and i have never done that? CRAZY. I seen this guy lifting yesterday he could have been a bodybuilder he was small framed though maybe like 5'6-5'7 but he was cleaning and pressing 135 its not a lot but he kept doing it over and over again i think i seen him do like 8 sets? He uped the weight then brough it down... is there any benefit to doing that stuff over and over again?

KPj

Post by KPj » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:41 am

is there any benefit to doing that stuff over and over again?
If you mean doing sets of the same exercise over and over again, then yes, there is benefit. In fact, where I train people do far too many exercises, in my opinion. They seem to do about 8-10 per work out at least, whether their training Bi's, tris, or chest (don't see many back or leg workouts). In some situations (i.e. super setting, or doing 1 set per exercise), this is fine. But in the case of the commercial gym I train at most of the time, it's about 8 isolation exercises, 3 sets of 8 on all of them.

If you were to put even one or 2 compound exercises in your workout, and actually perform them correctly, you should struggle to do much more after that.

You do need to bear in mind that my primary goal and interest is strength. So my first exercise is one of the big ones. If it's squats or DL's, for example, depending on focus and how much training stress (which I measure mostly by volume just now) i want to inflict on myself, it could be 8 x3, 10 x 2, 8 x 4, 5 x 5, 6 x 6, 6 x 8 - it really just depends. My preference is lower reps done over loads of sets, and I also like the stage system where you might do (for one exercise) - 4 x 3 THEN 3 x 6 for the same exercise.

My first exercise normally takes the best part of 30 minutes. warm up takes around 10. So when I train, after about 40-45 minutes, i've only done ONE exercise! Afterwards I throw in the assistance stuff and that's normally in and around the 3 x 8 range (i.e. hypertrophy / size).

Now, this is only one way to do it. There's literally loads of different methods you can use. And what works for one person may not work for the next.

The best thing you can do is have your program, sets and reps on paper. Carry it around with youi when you train, write all the weights you lift down. Weigh yourself regularly. This way you can monitor progress and when things stall or don't do what you expect, you take an hour and look over things... You may think 'i've been doing this body part split for a universal 3 sets of 8 for 9 months now, it's stopped working, i need a change' so you put down on upper lower split done for 5 x 5, stick in a few new exercises... and repeat the same process (although 9 months is probably a TAD too long!)..

KPj

corless319_

Post by corless319_ » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:22 pm

thanks kpj i appreciate the help I'm starting dead lifts today so I can't wait .