sets and reps

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

maxwell
former lurker

sets and reps

Post by maxwell » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:39 pm

I have a question about mostly sets. If i am doing 3 different exercises lets say, bench press, flyes & curls, 8 reps and 3 sets...do i need to do all 3 sets of one exercise first before moving on to the next exersice.
Or can i do 8 bench press, rest for 1 min. than 8 flyes, rest, and last 8 curls. And then start all over again.
thanks for the help.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:15 pm

You could do them 1 set of an ex, move to the next, then move to the last as in a ciruit and repeat the circuit 3 times for 3 total sets of each exercise, or you could do all sets of an exercise then move on. The latter is the standard way done by most, but in my opinion it doesn't reall matter. Personal preference.
Tim

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: sets and reps

Post by Stephen Johnson » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:20 pm

maxwell wrote:I have a question about mostly sets. If i am doing 3 different exercises lets say, bench press, flyes & curls, 8 reps and 3 sets...do i need to do all 3 sets of one exercise first before moving on to the next exersice.
Or can i do 8 bench press, rest for 1 min. than 8 flyes, rest, and last 8 curls. And then start all over again.
The answer to your question depends on the type of training that you're doing in your workout.

If you are doing circuit training, then skipping from one exercise to another makes sense. But if you're training for strength or muscular hypertrophy, it doesn't.

corless319
Novice
Novice

Post by corless319 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:23 pm

i can understand why someone would ask that question usually to try to be fresher for certain workouts... thats understandable also you can change which workouts you do first or change the order you do them the body will respond differently but it would be a good change.