Average amount of sleep

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

How many hours of sleep do you get on average each night? (specifically weeknights --excluding weekends or off days when you can sleep in and catch up)

4-5hrs
6%
5-6hrs
6%
6-7hrs
18%
7-8hrs
47%
8+hrs
24%

Total votes: 17

spiv
n00b
n00b

Average amount of sleep

Post by spiv » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:25 am

I am interested in the different amounts of sleep different people get. I thought I'd ask those of you on this forum because I'm curious to see the numbers among people who are (most likely) regularly engaged in physical training activities. It would be great to also see differences between different age ranges, gender, average amount of physical stress etc...so please feel free to include those types details. I've read and heard about numerous different studies on sleep trends among all different types of people with all differnt controls involved. Just figured it would be cool to see the numbers for everyone here.

On weekends I get between 9-11hrs...but on weekdays I'd say my average is only about 7 hours (uinterrupted most of the time)

25yr old male; resistance train 3x-wk; calisthenics+run 3x-wk; diet is well balanced

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:45 am

I generally average 8 hrs, give or take. Sometimes a little less, but it's uninterupted. It;s easy for me. I work an afternoon to mid eve shift ( 1 PM - 9 PM). I get home, feed the dogs, grab a bite, wach Leno's monologue and follow on comedy spot then crash. Get up when I wake up, usually 7:30 - 8:00 and workout somewhere around 10. Age 58, male
Tim

Wouter
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Wouter » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:02 am

I also get around 8 hours of sleep a day.
I get up at 7.15 , go to school at 8.05 get back around 16.30 when I train it's around 20.00 untill 21.30 (warm-up and few minutes of Tv after training session added as well). I get out of the bathroom around 22 hours. I watch some Tv, go to bed around 22.30 and read untill 23.00

PS: don't you just love my avatar? :D

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:10 am

I get about 5 hours on weeknights. Most of the time I function well on this, as long as I get some catch-up on weekends. Lately I'm coming to realize that I need more. Trouble is that I'm really a night person, but I have a morning person's job. So having said that, I'd better stop surfing the forum and go to bed.

corless319_

Post by corless319_ » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:15 am

I usually get anywhere between six and seven hours getting 8 hours is the recommended amount I just don't want to go to bed that early. I do try to catch up on the weekend though a day of 9 maybe on sunday 10 but... thats what i feel i need.