Beg WO's in sticky not intense enough?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Bazminda
n00b
n00b

Starting out

Post by Bazminda » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:55 pm

I am just starting to get into weights, I am a 22 year old male and have played sports all my life but never really worked out. I don't currently have a gym membership although I do have weights at my house but no work bench. I looked at some of the beginner programmes and they do not seem very intense. What would you recommend for a guy starting out from a weight of 9 stone, and 5'8 in height?

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:05 pm

Beginner programs like "Starting Strength" (the best beginenr program ever) may seem easy at first but beginners tend to get stronger quickly. The intensity therefore builds quickly. Thry this program for 3 months and you will be surprised by the effect on your body. If you don't have a bench, substitute floor presses instead of bench press. If you don't have a squat rack, clean the weight and do front squats or do zercher squats.

Stu

amivan

Post by amivan » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:41 am

stuward wrote: If you don't have a squat rack, clean the weight and do front squats or do zercher squats.

Stu
There's also goblet squats too if you have dumbbells; here's a link with a description and a picture. http://www.davedraper.com/blog/2006/11/ ... struction/

Bazminda
n00b
n00b

Post by Bazminda » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:51 pm

thanks, where can I find the Starter Strength programme? Is it on this website?

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:16 pm

It's linked up in the sticky above "A small collection of routines". I thought from your original post you had already read it. I put several beginner's routines in there.
Tim

Bazminda
n00b
n00b

Post by Bazminda » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:37 am

I have a set of dumbells that go to 8.5kg on each, i dont know what that is in pounds. Is it ok to do this dumbell row instead of the row http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Del ... htRow.html and normal dumbell squats with a dumbell in each hand like this http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Qua ... Squat.html? Also, is there any dumbell exercise I can substitute the power clean for?

TimD

Post by TimD » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:45 am

DB's will work fine for the row and squat, however, as your squat becomes stronger, you might want to do the 1 leg version with one foot on a chair either in front of you or behind you. DB's a re perfect for power cleans. I put mine on a cinder block in front of me , reach down and pull them up. Unlike the bar, technique isnt as critical because you don't need to get the bar over and past your knees. Just do a search over on you tube for some videos. Try "Dumbel power clean".
Tim

TimD

Post by TimD » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:47 am

Also, on another note, you're going to need more weight rather quickly. If you can't get a barbell, hey, get a duffel bag, sand bag, or whatever and fill it up with rocks, sand , etc. It will fit perfectly into the starting strength routine.
Tim

Bazminda
n00b
n00b

Post by Bazminda » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:27 am

Ah, ok il put the DBs on some books maybe. Me n my housemates are saving up for some heavier weights and a bench so we should be sorted in a few weeks, just in time for moving up weight. Thanks for the advice

TimD

Post by TimD » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:43 am

Yep, and one more note on the DB power clean. It's quite common to just get the bells down in position somewhere below the knee. No real need to go all the way down to the floor. From mid shin is fine, you'll get the same benefits.
Tim

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:28 pm

Your 8.5 kg DBs are just under 19 lb. Multiply Kg by 2.2 to get lb, divide lb by the same to get kg.