Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Sting
n00b
n00b

Newb Question on Walking+Weights

Post by Sting » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:10 pm

Hey,

Been around this site for a while, trying to learn exercises. Great site, gotta say.

I was recently trying to find answers to some questions I had, and I came to this board. I found some of them, but after a search, and finding some answers CLOSE to what I need, I decided I would need to actually ask my question as nothing really answered it exactly how I needed. Hope you guys can help me out...

I am 21 years old, male, 6'0, 155ish lbs.

I have toned everything but my stomach and chest... veins coming out my arms, neck (lol, okay, only when I sing... one big sucker comes out... not prettY) ect, but my chest and stomach have a bit of flab on them. I am assuming this is because I have almost no fat on those parts of my body, and that for my body, all my fat was stored on my stomach and to a lesser extent chest and I needed to burn it, so I started eating less than 2000 calories, and running 4 to 5 times a week, for 35 minutes. About 3 Mile runs.

The only thing that really happened was my legs got bigger.

I have since tried weight lifting, assuming that maybe I need to actually have some muscle (i have never had much muscle at all)

I have been hitting the gym 3 times a week (about an hour workout each time) for the past few weeks, eating more protein and stuff, and have noticed some results especially in my shoulders, arms, chest, and back. My stomach has gotten bigger (abs underneath starting to show through) and although there is still a thin layer of fat, I can see a "2-pack" (upper abs lol) and some definition in my lower abs. Still not perfect, but I am pleased with the results.

But I have stopped running, as I generally can do it solid for about 3 monthes... and then get bored of it for 6 monthes... then start up again. and have been eating a more normal amount of calories (for me, this is 2500) (I was told you actually have to eat to build muscle... lol).

I guess I am giving an essay here... I will get to the point.

I love walking. All of my friends and hangouts are within walking distance from where I live, so I naturally walk a lot. I can go for an hour walk and not get bored, and still have the motivation to walk to my friends, ect.

I am wondering that if I decide to stop running, but choose to actively walk for at least 45 minutes a day, if that walking is enough cardio for me?

Basically...

Running 3 Times a Week for 35 Minutes + 3 One Hour Sessions of Weights A week

VS.

Walking 7 Times a Week For 45 Minutes + 3 One Hour Sessions of Weights A Week

And this is walking relatively fast... I am making a total guess but maybe 4.0mph.

What is better?

What if I throw in ONE 35-Minute Run A week to my walking/weights routine?

I am very interested, because Walking Is already part of my life... a long term commitment. All I have to do is add a little extra and I could easily make this schedual. Running I find being very on and off... I will do it religiously for a few monthes... than stop for many more.. but if walking just way more can keep the fat off, than I would rather do that.

If you need questions on my weight routine, I can supply it is. It is all upper body since my legs are already pretty solid.

Jungledoc

Re: Newb Question on Walking+Weights

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:54 am

I am wondering that if I decide to stop running, but choose to actively walk for at least 45 minutes a day, if that walking is enough cardio for me?
Enough cardio for what purpose? General health? Prep for a marathon? Endurance for some other activity?

If your goal from the walking or running or whatever is general health, I'd say "yes." Weight training benefits the whole body, not just the muscles you're contracting a a given moment. The American Heart Association recommends "moderate-intensity aerobic
(endurance) physical activity for a minimum of 30 min on five days each week or vigorous-intensity aerobic physical activity for
a minimum of 20 min on three days each week." Granted, that is a minimal recommendation for the general public, but I'd say that brisk walking for 45 minutes 7 days a week and 3 hours with the weights is pretty good.

Sting
n00b
n00b

Post by Sting » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:03 am

I would say it would be general health... just keeping fat off. Keeping body fat level at what it is, or lowering it. Keeping metabolism up (I hear this has more to do with muscle though... the more muscle = higher metabolism).

So yeah, maybe keeping FAT off.

I want to be able to work out and gain and maintain muscle, but not put on any fat.

Keep in mind I usually eat around 2300-2600 Calories A Day, and I am 21, so walking, even for a long time really doesn't make me feel very tired.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:17 am

Well, you'll probably only be able to answer the question through experience. If you stop running and you are able to keep the fat off the way you want, then it's probably fine.

You can do other things, too; swim, dance, do any of those stupid machines at the gym (any elliptical lovers, please forgive me). You might want to look into HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). I don't do it, but I've read about it (I found several good articles when I Googled it); it's supposed to be more efficient at burning fat.

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:33 am

Welcome to the site.

Running is usually only a benefit to people who want to run. Walking is a great exercise. Don't forget that a vigorous weight training session will work your heart as well as you muscles.

You do need to eat well in order to gain muscle. I wouldn't worry about fat right now. Adding muscle will make your body look better and you won't notice a little flab here and there. Check the nutrition links in the stickies.

What's your weight training plan like?

Stu

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:22 am

Here's a very useful article about fat loss. Notice that steady-state cardio - walking and running are both this kind of exercise - is the least effective way to burn off that last bit of fat.

Alwyn Cosgrove: The Hierarchy of Fat Loss
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1526539

I do think you should exercise your legs with weights even if they are strong already...you'll lose more fat if you work large muscles with compound exercises, and most of the big, effective compound exercises involve the lower body.

Sting
n00b
n00b

Post by Sting » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:14 pm

Hey everyone, thank you for the advice thus far.
stuward wrote:Welcome to the site.

Running is usually only a benefit to people who want to run. Walking is a great exercise. Don't forget that a vigorous weight training session will work your heart as well as you muscles.

You do need to eat well in order to gain muscle. I wouldn't worry about fat right now. Adding muscle will make your body look better and you won't notice a little flab here and there. Check the nutrition links in the stickies.

What's your weight training plan like?

Stu
Right now, it goes like (I will do my best to describe this... this is my first Weight Training forum I have been on so I don't know how you guys describe working out)
I do all of these workouts so it is very, very, hard to finish the last few reps. I can do it, but just barely.

WORK OUT - 3 times a week. Where I have the little "-----" thing it means about a 1 or 2 minute break as a I wipe off the machine, stretch a bit, and load up the weights. I try to keep everything flowing pretty fast.

-----
3 (sets) x 8 Assisted Dips (1 minute break in between sets)
-----
3 x 8 Lateral Pull Down
3 x 6 Bench Press
(supersets? I switch back and forth, with no break in between. so 1 set of Lat Pull Down, 1 set of bench Press, 1 set of Lat Pull Down... ect)
----
5 x 15 Weighted Crunches
-----
200 Regular Crunches
-----
3 x 8 Seated Row
3 x 12 Pushups
(switching back and forth, no break in between sets)
-----
3 x 6 Bicept Curls
-----
3 x 10 Dumbbell Lateral Raises
-----
3 x 8 Shoulder Press
----
Stretch

So my schedual is like
SUNDAY - Work Out
MONDAY - 150 Sit Ups/30 Pushups
TUESDAY - Work Out
WEDNESDAY - 150 Sit Ups/30 Pushups
THURSDAY - Work Out
FRIDAY - 150 Sit Ups/30 Pushups
SATURDAY - Rest

I have decided my goal is not so much to lose the fat, as I look okay now. I might like to do that one day, but for now I would be fine keeping my body what it is right now. Keep in mind I walk a lot too (a lot of time there a short few minute bursts of jogging in there as I have a tendency to leave slightly late for everything and need to make up time, lol)

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:36 pm

The big deficiency I see is the lack of squats and deadlifts. As pdellorto said, you need to exercise your legs.

The muscles in your thighs are the biggest in your body. The benefits of training those extends beyond strong legs. The hormonal impact on your body is enormous and that change alone could have a dramatic impact on your muscle gain, even for your upper body.

Perform squats and/or deadlifts 3 times a week. One way to do it is to back squat followed by stiff legged, straight back deadlifts in 1 workout, the deadlifts followed by front squats the next. Adding a third workout with lunges and 1 legged deadlifts will give your lower back a break.

Doing them frequently will keep you from getting too sore. Start light and work up gradually.

I'm sure you could tweak your upper body workout a little but it's OK. You do a lot of ab work and very little lower back. That's a recipe for lower back pain.

Stu

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:13 pm

@Sting:

1 - I agree with the other posters that you should include leg work in your workouts. Running/walking will build leg endurance, but not leg strength.

2 - As for your cardio, think about mixing it up a little, rather than doing the same old, same old 3-7 days a week. One workout could be an LSD walking workout of an hour or more, the second a moderate jog for 30 minutes and the third interval training for 15-30 minutes doing sprints followed by walking breaks.

Sting
n00b
n00b

Post by Sting » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:55 am

stuward wrote:
Doing them frequently will keep you from getting too sore. Start light and work up gradually.

I'm sure you could tweak your upper body workout a little but it's OK. You do a lot of ab work and very little lower back. That's a recipe for lower back pain.

Stu
I am definately going to start doing more leg work outs after reading these posts.

I was curious... what workouts should I do for my lower back to help prevent lower back pain?

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:42 am

Back extentions are the best for strengthening the back (according to Dr. Squat).
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Ere ... nsion.html

The animation shows it with a barbell on the back of his neck. You can start unweighted or holding a light plate to your chest.

Take the following into account when planning your training. Many exercises will fatique your lower back.
http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/LowBack.html

The abs and lower back need to be considered in conjunction with the psoas.
http://www.somatics.com/psoas.htm
This is where walking comes in.

Stu

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:57 am

@Sting:

Stu gave you good advice about lower back exercises. I'd like to add that you should work at making your hips more flexible, if you (like most people in the developed world) have tight hips. If your hips are tight, your body will transfer the load from the hips to the lower back in exercises like the squat. The hamstrings and hip flexors (psoas and iliacus) are notorious for tightness, especially in men. Stretching them after working out (but not before) is recommended.

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:09 pm

Good point Stephen. I was just going to post some information on stretching the psoas.
http://www.chiroweb.com/archives/10/03/25.html

Stu