Diet/Exercise/Weight Lifting question.

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Diet/Exercise/Weight Lifting question.

Post by brook011 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:24 am

Hi guys. First post here and I'm really trying to figure out where I should be as far as diet is concerned calorie wise. My exercise setup is currently -

Monday - Chest/Triceps + Cardio - "20 minutes cardio"
Tuesday - Cardio "35-40 minutes, sometimes more"
Wednesday - Back/Biceps/Shoulders + Cardio "20 minutes cardio"
Thursday - Cardio "35-40 minutes, sometimes more"
Friday - Off
Saturday - Off
Sunday - Off

My lifting is usually multigroup exercises "bench/squat/deadlift" and my cardio is "usually" running. I try to switch it up to where I'm jumping from running to biking or whatever I feel like, to keep things interesting when the IPOD gets boring. Anyways, back to my point. Where should I be at if I'm trying to cut fat. I don't care soo much about getting big, as I'm already large - 6'2 205lbs, large frame, the weight training is more for the metabolism benefits. What should I be targeting food wise? I on average go about 1800-2100 calories. I'm never really hungry, but mostly thats due to throwing protein shakes in, in between meals, usually 3 a day or so. Anyways any tips would be appreciated, I don't want to kill my metabolism, and I don't want to stunt any growth. I know running is counteractive to muscle growth, but like I said, I'm after the body fat % and getting lean. Thanks guys.

And if it matters, I used to be a really big guy, 285-295, so me finally reaching the point of leaning out now really is becoming this great final stretch.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:21 am

Check out the calorie estimator on this site, then drop 500 calories per day. Don't overestimate your activity level.

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:41 am

Brook, I wouldn't call you large. I'm 6'2" 210# with a small frame (7" wrists) and I know I'm not overweight. My sense is that you are under muscled.

1800-2100 calories is not enough calories to sustain any level of activity. I expect you have been restricting calories too long and your metabolism has slowed down. I'd like to see your calories at about 3000 and more heavy weight training in your program. Complexes are good but not as the mainstay of your program. They will preserve muscle but not build it, which is what you need.

Your program is not unlike what most people in my gym do. It may make you a better runner but it's probably not optimal for bf% loss. Rather than just work the weight loss part of the equation you need to build up the lean mass part.

How old are you? A 20 year old will have an easier time of this than a 50 year old.

Stu

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:28 am

Well, I don;t see any Squats /Dl's in your program. Just upper body and cardio. Now to the diet, and I'm thinking of moving this post to the D and N section. You just listed kcal, and nothing specific. I don't necessarily agree w/Stu, you MAY be able to drop fat w/ 2100 kcal and still burn off some fat (I'm 5'8', 180 and do fine on 1800 kcal), but it's going to depend alot on your choices. We have some very good tips on this if you go to the diet and nutrition section and read the stickies we put up over there. I do agree with Stu that complexes alone, are a good way to kick up the metabolism and maintain LBM while dieting, but you also need to combine it with heavier basic moves as well.
Tim

corless319_

Post by corless319_ » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:28 am

I would say the 6'2 is larger the weight I think would be underaverage or average at best. I'd say less running more weight training but with more HIIT. I recently started doing HIIT again......and thats is good stuff. The girly runs or long distance jogs from what I have heard are not good. No offense to any females I mean come on arnold said girly man. Diet is key I recall someone saying eat a lot early morning and through out the day but then have something very small for dinner and that would give you a good eight hours of sleep while recovering and being calorie deficient? Not sure how true that is. I would say at 6'2 220 should be your goal with some heavy weight training get some muscle and the diet is key. In all reality you need to find what works for your body. Everyone is different.

John Corless

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:34 am

Sorry, I missed it there, I squat on same day as deadlifting. And I can't give you an exact wrist measurement, just that my middle finger and thumb do not touch when I wrap my hand around it. Waist right now sits between a 36 and 34. I gain muscle way faster than I usually would like. I actually have stretch marks on my inner biceps from a few years back when I lifted everyday, and first really started taking an interest in my body. Oh and I'm 26 years old.

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:20 am

Theres not to much you can do about the stretch marks. I got those to, I thought it was from when I used to be fat but nope. Bodybuilders will get them everywhere. Arms, inner thighs, chest, etc.