Mixed Grip

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Mixed Grip

Post by robertscott » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:12 am

When performing shrugs, i find my grip lets me down long before my traps do, so i've started using a mixed grip so i can hold on to the bar longer.

Does this cause me to develop one side of my body at a different rate to another?

corless319_

Post by corless319_ » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:17 am

I think the most it does is develop your grip differently you can go back and forth with which hand is supinated and which hand isnt. Flexors and extensors and I think that is the difference although you will get some other answers as well.

cha1n
n00b
n00b

Post by cha1n » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:24 am

I get the same problem. I've been recommended to buy some "straps" another option other than mixed grip..

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:25 am

The advice I've seen over and over with mixed grip deadlifts is:

- switch the "mixed" grip up so both sides get a chance at being pronated and supinated.

- do all your sub-maximal sets with your normal grip.

So for shrugs, you'd use a pronated grip until your grip is failing you, and then switch to mixed grip. That'll help improve your grip strength, and you'll have a lot less volume of mixed grip training.

Chris_A
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Chris_A » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:42 am

A mixed grip will not affect your upper traps at all, so you’re fine using it (or any grip that works for you) for shrugs. If you do more than one set, then change the mix grip for each. For example:

Set 1: Left hand pronated, Right hand supinated
Set 2: Left hand supinated, Right hand pronated
Set 3: Left hand pronated, Right hand supinated

Pronated will have your palm facing your body. Supinated will have your palm facing away from your body.

For a change of pace, do shrugs with the heaviest dumbbells you can find and/or handle. Not only will this ensure equal development in your upper traps, but it will also strengthen your grip.

corless319_

Post by corless319_ » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:58 am

if you have small hands and or fingers straps could work for you. I bought straps thinking they would help my deads. I haven't even used them I'll take my stronger grip and calloused hands. Love it.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:07 pm

I do have very small hands. Very very small hands so i guess that could be a factor. I've toyed with the idea of buying straps for a while but i'd much rather just be able to take the pain. Are there any grip strength exercises that anyone knows about that might help?

corless319_

Post by corless319_ » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:12 pm

if you dead lift and dont use straps thats a great workout for your grip. Most people will tell you that doing workouts that work your grip are the best workouts i know thats not what you want to hear.....but thats what i was told haha.

Chris_A
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Chris_A » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:23 pm

Sure, you can try static plate holds, farmers walk, heavy DB squats, etc. Any exercise that requires you to hold a heavy weight for an extended period of time.

You can also make a wrist roller with stuff that’s probably laying around your house. Just get a length of rope and a large broom or rake handle. Tie one end of the rope to the handle, and the other to a weight plate. Now twist the handle in your hands so that you roll up the rope and bring the plate to t the top. Once at the top, reverse the action to lower it.

Here’s a shot of a guy using one:

http://www.rosstraining.com/images/wristroller.jpg

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:08 am

When I do mixed grip I always alternate. I'm really liking straps for shrugs now. I don't use straps much, but shrugs are an exception. I've done 335lbs for 6 reps. There is no way in hell I could grip that. Even with mixed grip I'd stand a good chance of dropping it. I have a decent grip and 14" forearms, but it still isn't enough. I don't want to have my grip hold back my trap development.

I use them to deadlift too.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:17 am

Towel pullups, rope climbs, pullups on a rope instead of a bar, and hanging at the halfway point of a chinup or pullup are all good grip work. Rice digs are supposed to be great, but I don't have enough rice handy to try them. I've seen video of towel shrugs, too - doing shrugs in a power rack gripped towels looped around the bar.

Finally, you can just get good grippers (the Captains of Crush grippers are excellent) and do sets of high reps (for endurance) and follow them with closed gripper holds for time. I do that, it works pretty well, my grip strength and grip endurance has improved noticeably.

KPj

Post by KPj » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:23 am

Peters gave some great advice on grip strength. I have done towel pull ups before, they are brutal. Brutally effective.

I've got a strong grip and i've never made it a direct focus in my program. I'm not a big guy but I can grip 450-460lbs (210Kg) for 5 reps, doing Rack Pulls and using a mixed grip. I can get 2-3 reps with 350-360lbs (150kg) with snatch grip (wide double overhand) rack pulls, although I do use straps for this exercise but still like to test how much I can hold on to.

1 year ago, my grip would fail at 250-260lbs and alternate grip wouldn't take me much higher than that, and this was for low reps (2-3).

What I put it down to is doing lots of deadlifts plus variations (namely, Rack Pulls). Doing lots of pull ups, both for max strength and in the endurance range. Loads of Rows. And I also put it down to all the single leg work I do, holding DB's.

Don't know if there's many people here that do a lot of single leg work, but you should try a heavy deadlift session, followed by lunges holding DB's (instead of a bar). It kills your grip. It used to limit what I could use in single leg exercises because my grip was zapped from DL's, then I had to hold the DB's for sets of 8-12 per leg. Kills your forearms. Then the next day or day after I would have an upper body day and my forearms and hands would still be sore from the leg workout.

One arm DB Rows are good for grip, too. I have regularly focused on this exercises in the 3-5 rep range and can easily grip 100lb DB's, where as guys twice my size use straps for 80lbs plus.

When I do other row variations such as seated cable rows, sometimes I use a thick bar. I get 2 Lynx grips in either hand and grip the bar. The thickness makes grip more challenging. I do this for pressing variations, too.

Anyway, 1 year ago my grip was pathetic. Now, it doesn't hold me back at all and I don't think I have felt it holding me back for months, can't remember the last time.

I'm not trying to show off or anything, in fact, in accordance with my own goals my lifts and grip are 'decent' (at best). All of the things i mentioned are generally things you can add to your program straight away without making any big changes or making grip a focus. Some exercises just challenge your grip more than others, just add a few in for a few months and see how it helps.

Just some stuff to think about...

KPj

corless319_

Post by corless319_ » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:24 am

i bet i have like 8 inch forearms I'm going to have to measure now. thanks a lot. Haha.

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:26 am

corless319_ wrote:i bet i have like 8 inch forearms I'm going to have to measure now. thanks a lot. Haha.
Wrists are measured at the narrowest part, forearms are measured at the thickest part.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Thu May 01, 2008 4:22 am

My wrists are very small, 6.75". I had to have 3 sections taken out of my watch.