Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Jungledoc, Ironman, stuward

Post by Gsus » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:28 pm

wide grip, over grip, under grip, and side grips which one is better for u and do they all work different parts of the back im assuming yes

Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jeffrerr » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:44 am

yes they all work slightly different muscles! Do them all, alternate between work outs! Do you have a particular weak spot? Mines my Rear Delts so I use a wide grip palms away mostly but throw in a close grips palms facing now and then to give my bi ceps a bit extra! If you do have a weak spot use the grip that hits it the best!

Post by Eric » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:27 am

wide grip is my weakness, close grip palms to me are my best.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:11 am

Wide grip pullups involve shoulder adduction, while close grip pullups involve shoulder extension. The rear deltoid is a synergist in shoulder extension but not in shoulder adduction. Otherwise, the same muscles are involved in both movements, though at different angles.

For most people, extension is a stronger movement than adduction

The pronated (palms away) grip puts the biceps at a mechanical disadvantage in flexing the elbow, while a supinated (palms facing) grip puts them at an advantage. A neutral (palms facing each other) grip, some allege, is the best grip for training all of the elbow flexor muscles.
Last edited by Stephen Johnson on Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by DubDub » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:48 am

Recently I've been doing supinated (palms to me) pull-ups to help with my lagging biceps, but when I switch types in a few weeks I'll change to wide-grip palms away.