Did Leg Presses today and...

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Did Leg Presses today and...

Post by brook011 » Thu May 01, 2008 12:53 am

and my shoulders had some strange red marks that look like scratches but im not scratched. blood vessels breaking?

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu May 01, 2008 3:29 am

Did you press a lot more than your are used to? The marks were on both shoulders? Are you in good general health? On anti-infamatory drugs (including aspirin)?

If you want to take a picture of the marks and email it to me, I'll tell you what I think it is.

Andy

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Thu May 01, 2008 4:46 am

The standing calf machine does that to me. I've always wondered what the deal is with that.

corless319_

Post by corless319_ » Thu May 01, 2008 8:58 am

It's something very simple. I get the same thing when I do calf raises. Its the material that your lifting with on both the calf raise and the leg press machine there is padding and a leatherish type of cover. when you put a lot of weight on there it pinches you nothing more nothing less just dont do that workout and not tell your gf she'll think your messing around on her behind her back.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: Did Leg Presses today and...

Post by Stephen Johnson » Thu May 01, 2008 9:10 am

brook011 wrote:and my shoulders had some strange red marks that look like scratches but im not scratched. blood vessels breaking?
It sounds like the precursors to stretch marks:
They first appear as reddish or purple lines, but tend to gradually fade to a lighter color. The affected areas appear empty and soft to the touch.

Human skin has three different layers: the epidermis (outer layer), the dermis (middle layer), and the subcutaneous stratum (innermost layer). Stretch marks occur in the dermis, the resilient middle layer that helps the skin retain its shape. No stretch marks will form as long as there is support within the dermis. Stretching plays more of a role in where the marks occur and in what direction they run. Stretching alone is not the cause.

Stretch marks can appear anywhere on the body, but are most likely to appear in places where larger amounts of fat are stored. Most common places are the abdomen (especially near the belly-button), breasts, upper arms, underarms, thighs (both inner and outer), hips, and buttocks. They pose no health risk in and of themselves, and do not compromise the body's ability to function normally and repair itself.

I doubt if the leg press is the cause - probably a chest workout that you did before

corless319_

Post by corless319_ » Thu May 01, 2008 9:13 am

I'm almost 100% sure they are pinch/pressure marks from doing the workout. If the pad that is on your shoulder is padded and has a leatherish material that is whats causeing the mark everyone would get that if lifting heavy. Everyone.

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Thu May 01, 2008 5:09 pm

Stretch marks are most common near the armpit front and back. Some guys (myself included) also get them around the upper arm and even upper thys.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Thu May 01, 2008 5:10 pm

If they are stretch marks, they should eventually fade as your growth slows down.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu May 01, 2008 9:59 pm

But if they just appeared right after lifting, they are probably not stretch marks.

Brook, does your machine have pads? Are the marks right where you were in contact with the pads?

Offer still stands to look at the marks.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri May 02, 2008 5:20 am

The machine cause them. I am not sure how it happens though.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Fri May 02, 2008 10:45 am

Just another reason to squat instead of doing leg presses.

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Sat May 03, 2008 3:02 am

Sorry, I've been busy this week with finals, I will know this week if its from the pads or stretch marks. I do know I get my stretch marks really easily, and I'm not sure if its because of my pumps or growth rate, or what. I really find it hard to be stretch marks, I just got back into lifting after a significant break. I'm like two months in now and switched from a on/off 3 day a week all body program to a push/pull 5 day a week program. I have them on the chest/shoulders/sides of my biceps from when I used to lift.

On a side note, I'm seeing the bicep vein for the first time ever, the one down the side of the bicep? Yeah, huge boost seeing that. I always had really big arms, and was up to almost 18" at one point, but I ate like a horse and never did focused on the diet side of it.

Thanks for the offer to look at it, but my cellphone broke and that would've been the only camera I had to take pictures of it.