Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

kal
Rookie
Rookie

paroxetine

Post by kal » Sat May 03, 2008 7:37 am

hi, does any body have any idea about this product "paroxetine"
i've read about it online and it's kind of stress reliever something like that right ?

well my girl want's to take these pells coz she want to be active, she is always lazy and don't want to do anything so somebody recommended them to her saying that she used them and they r fine, i don't trust that so i looked it up and check for side effects and found a lot, so i disagreed on taking them.

so does any body can help me with more info or r they bad or ok ?!

she just want to be more active.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Sat May 03, 2008 7:57 am

It's an anti-depressant...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paroxetine

The way to get more active is to get more active, generally. Unless she's got actual depression that requires chemical aids to overcome, she's better off just getting up and doing stuff. I've seen genuinely depressed folks who needed medication to treat their problems, but in those cases the drugs are a prescribed aid, not a cure-all solution.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Sat May 03, 2008 8:52 am

pete's right, anti-depressants are very much a last resort for people with no other option. Unfortunately they are grossly over-prescribed.

Diet and exercise can make a massive difference to someone's mental health. If you're girlfriend wants a bit more get up and go, eating good, nutritious food and exercising is the best thing for her.

Initially she might find it hard to motivate herself but if she starts small, even just going for a half hour walk, her energy levels'll build up.

You could even try something a bit daft like going roller-blading or something together. Maybe that's a bit of a stupid example, but having some shared hobby can't hurt and if you do something which is more like fun and less like exercise but still get's the old heart pumping, then it'll be easier for her to motivate herself to do it.

i would definitely try this before resorting to pills. I've known a lot of people who've been on anti-depressents and it didn't always work out for the best, to put it lightly!

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sat May 03, 2008 4:46 pm

While I am generally in favor of the proper use of most psychiatric medications, this is an exception.

I would caution people against trying SSRI's. They can have severe side effects. There is even a slight chance you could get post SSRI sexual dysfunction, which is believed to be caused by permanent damage done to the 5 HT1a receptor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSSD

IF the person had this prescribed by a psychiatrist, I would express those concerns. You could also ask about bupropion (Welbutrin), which is a DRI (dopamine reuptake inhibitor). I use that and it works great.

However since that is not that case, I would recommend that she not take prescription medication without consulting a doctor. If she feels she is depressed, she should discuss that with a doctor. Those symptoms could indicate depression, but they could also indicate other medical problems. Again this leads back to consulting a doctor.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun May 04, 2008 12:30 am

This seems like a bit of an odd place to go for help with prescription meds. I'd suggest that your GF start with her doctor.

Paroxitine is a prescription drug in the United States (and elsewhere, I assume) and is not just a "stress reliever". It is an excellent antidepressant; as such it is appropriate for treating clinical depression, but not as a casual "pick-me-up" as your GF's friend seems to imply. It is also used to treat a variety of anxiety disorders. It is not necessarily a "last resort," but should be part of a treatment plan worked out with a person's physician (either a psychiatrist, internist or family physician, all of whom have training in using these medicines).

There are potential side effects, but considering that depression is a potentially fatal disease, and the anxiety diseases are often severely disabling, it may well be worth the risk. The vast majority of people who take it don't experience problems, and for most of those who do they are minor and reversible. Serious or lasting problems are rare. However, you do not want to take a risk just to be "more active." Kal, I'd suggest that your GF needs to discuss this issue with her doctor.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun May 04, 2008 12:54 am

One of the problems with WWW info on medicines is that the just tend to list all the possible side effects, with no statistical information. When they do list statistics, it is often in a form that can be misleading. For instance, the Wikipedia article on paroxetine states that among 15 to 19 year-olds, the risk of suicide increases by "12%." That is a significant increase, but it's easy not to notice that the base risk is very low, 7.3 per 100,000, and the increase is to 8.2 per 100,000. So the increase is 0.9 suicides per 100,000, or .0009%. You have to balance that against the help that people get from the meds, which is substantial. I have prescribed paroxetine hundreds of time. I'm not aware of any of the patients I prescribed it for suffering severe side effects, but many of them derived great benefit from it.

kal
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kal » Sun May 04, 2008 3:32 am

well i don't like taking any meds, so i told her to do some exercises but still she feel lazy to get up and do them, i'll try to motivate her and help her to do some exercises.

what's a good diet for women that contains a good amount of nutrients ?!

i told her to eat 5 mails a day but she is concerned about gaining weight.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sun May 04, 2008 12:32 pm

Have a look at the stickies and let us know if you have any questions. But seriously, forget all that dippy new age anti-drug BS. You should take medications as needed. Also don't you think that if someone is having problems like that, that she may have an actual medical problem. Has she had an examination and blood work?

Oh well at least she isn't going to take prescription drugs willy nilly.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Tue May 06, 2008 11:13 am

something worth considering could be an EPA supplement

have a gander at www.epa1.co.uk and see what you think