Stiffness from resistance training

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

bob

Post by bob » Wed May 07, 2008 12:50 am

Yeah. I can pass on the harmony and ohm stuff too. I want a workout! I agree that it should be done on a separate day. I tried some of the basic yoga moves and i had a real hard time with performing them. They sure didn't feel basic to my 56 year old body! :lol:

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed May 07, 2008 2:00 am

Ironman wrote:I would say it is a completely unrelated problem. You might want to check with a doctor.
Bob, when I first read Ironman's initial response to you, my reaction was that he was over-reacting a bit, and all you really need is to learn to balance your lifts (include reciprocal lifts for each one you do) and to stretch better.

The more I think about it though, the more I feel that he's right. If I were your doctor there are a couple of tests I'd want to do, and a couple of things that I'd like to examine before I said that. I'd suggest you roll on down to your favorite kindly old family doctor, and tell him or her your story. If they can't find anything amiss, then stretch away, and make sure that you have reciprocal exercises in each plane of movement.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Wed May 07, 2008 6:17 am

bob wrote:How about Yoga for stretching? Or maybe Pilates? :?:
In my opinion, Yoga and Pilates aren't a good option if your just trying to get some flexibility back. Different if you have a craving to get good at either of them but I think it's an extreme solution to a reasonably simple problem.

You would also need a good instructor that would be able to recognise your limitations and EASE you into things. The classes that I see are nothing like that though, they just tell every one "ok, put this hand up here, wrap this leg around here, pull the other arm up and over the other leg and pop your head through your thighs. And hold... relax... stay like that... only 8 minutes left then on to the next move... empty your mind..."

OK, that was a harsh description but i'm sure it gets my point across.

I actually frequently use stretches that are traditionally yoga stretches and some dynamic movement 'things' that you see in pilates classes. There's normally something good to be taken from anything.

Technically, all you need to do is find out what's tight and stretch it regularly. I would recommend a good physio. A good physio will be able to give you a good, effective program to follow after one session. A bad physio will tell you to stop lifting all together.

Upper Traps and internal rotators / pecs are typically tight, even stretching these every day could make a difference. But it's worth seeking out a good physio who can manually check what needs work and what needs stretched and then show you how to do everything.

KPj

bob

Post by bob » Wed May 07, 2008 6:01 pm

I wanted to mention, i don't golf, i just hit balls on the range for exercise. But it was when i hit balls i noticed limited ROM. Anyway, lots of good advice.

bob

Post by bob » Fri May 09, 2008 4:24 pm

I went to Ron Jones site. He has some very effective stretching exercises which target the whole body. His credentials and background suggest he knows his stuff.Thanks to Pdellorto for that recommendation.