Workout from Arnolds enciclopedia, thoughts?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

knin
former lurker

Workout from Arnolds enciclopedia, thoughts?

Post by knin » Sun May 04, 2008 1:26 am

Hi there,
I was refered to this website by a fellow member in my gym. First, I just want to say great site, keep it up!

I am 21 year old student, 185lbs I was 205lbs, 2 months ago, I've lost 20lbs thanks to gym basicly. 6'00''. Now, I bought a book "Arnold Schwarzenegger encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding" to see his early childhood workout. Let me just tell you, he is insane.

Now, he included couple workouts, and he split them in 2. Beginners and Advanced. I am currently doing beginners and I've been on it for almost two and half months. Workout takes 6 days in a week, and I have been going 6 days in a week, except Sunday, resting day.

I'll give you the sceduele that I have been doing for almost 2.5 months and you give me thoughts and your own opinions if its okay or not. I personally don't like doing legs and butt, i exchange it sometimes with cardio, abs.

Monday and Thursday
CHEST
Bench Press
Incline Press
Pullovers
BACK
Chin-Ups ( as many as you can until you reach 50 reps)
Bent-Over Rows

POWER TRAINING
Deadlifts

ABDOMINALS
Crunches, 5 sets of 25 reps

Tuesday and Friday
SHOULDERS
Barbell Clean and Press
Dumbbell Lateral Raises
POWER TRAINING
Heavy Upright Rows 3 sets of 10,6,4 to failure
Push Presses --||--
UPPER ARMS
Standing Barbell Curls
Seated Dumbell Curls
Close-Grip Press
Standing Triceps Extensions w/ Barbell
FOREARMS
Wrist curls
Reverse Wrist Curls
ABDOMINALS
reverse crunches

and Wednesday and Saturday is legs but i dont usually do them, i do cardio/abs mostly

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun May 04, 2008 2:31 am

I consider myself an early-intermediate lifter. This workout doesn't look like a beginner routine to me.

First of all, why would you want to leave out your legs and butt? Mighty important parts of your body! Plus the lifts that work your legs and butt are a lot of fun. The squat is called the "king of exercises" for good reason. It works more muscle in a short time than any other lift.

There is quite a bit of duplication in the routine, not just within each day, but even between days. Bench presses work your triceps well, and there are two types of bench presses on your Mon-Thurs, and then close-grip presses and triceps extensions on Tues-Fri. Your tris don't have much chance to recover.

Why not try one of of the beginning workouts in the the sticky called "a small collection of basic routines" in this section of the forum? I've looked through those, and found good help both for myself and my son. Look for a routine that includes fewer separate lifts, and relies on the compound lifts--those that use multiple muscle groups at once, and that give each muscle group at least two day's rest before working them again.

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Sun May 04, 2008 3:20 am

Here is the thing you have to remember about legs. A -TON- of your bodies muscle mass is in your legs. Why does this matter to you? The more muscle mass your body carries, the more calories your body takes to maintain current weight, and if you want to get a shredded look "sorry, I didn't see what your exact goal was, but most people here seem to be after that" -- anyways, you're going to need the huge metabolic boost your legs will give you. There are tons of benefits beyond this, obviously, but this is usually the most tangible thing that most people forget about. Don't become topheavy :)

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Sun May 04, 2008 3:50 am

A few thoughts:

- That's a very high-volume routine for a beginner. I've got the book you're talking about and I remember looking at that routine and thinking it was beyond my capacity. The Intermediate and Advanced routines are insane. Plus points for the workout are a heavy emphasis on compound exercises. Minus points are the fact that it's a huge amount of lifting with little rest, which isn't good unless you're genetically gifted, have lots of rest time, and have steroids to help - all of which Arnold was if and when he ever did that particular routine.

- legs and butt are the central part of a good workout. You're doing right by doing deadlifts, but if you can also squat you should squat. Nevermind avoiding the "lightbulb" effect (upper body like a gorilla, legs like linguini), squatting is an awesome bang-for-the-buck exercise. Do them them correctly and with progressively heavier weights and you'll grow all over, giving you a huge return for your time. Learn to love them, because if you don't do them you'll miss out.
Cardio and Abs work is NO substitute for getting your lower body and posterior chain strong. None.

- As JungleDoc said, look at the basic routines sticky. It's a goldmine. If you're a beginner, anything will work (any training is better than no training). But a routine more centered on heavy compound work and giving you more rest times will give you more benefits in a shorter period of time and for a longer period of time.

I'd change up. I love Arnold, he's the man, but the routine in his books isn't, in my opinion, the best way for a beginner to train.

Hope that helps,

Peter

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sun May 04, 2008 12:49 pm

I agree with all that. Work your legs, forget about all that cardio/ab stuff. It's a solid routine, but not for beginners. Unless when he says beginning bodybuilder, he means someone who already has a couple years of weight training and is now starting bodybuilding. Either way it's not a true beginner routine.

I reached my natural genetic potential doing basic compound exercises. That's really the way to go.

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Sun May 04, 2008 1:28 pm

I say just do flat bench and bicep curls everyday.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Sun May 04, 2008 1:40 pm

brook011 wrote:I say just do flat bench and bicep curls everyday.
I certainly hope that was meant as a joke. I can feel the flames getting ready to pour in. Go ahead, just keep it halfway civil.
Tim

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sun May 04, 2008 1:51 pm

:lol:

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Sun May 04, 2008 1:57 pm

TimD wrote:
brook011 wrote:I say just do flat bench and bicep curls everyday.
I certainly hope that was meant as a joke. I can feel the flames getting ready to pour in. Go ahead, just keep it halfway civil.
Tim
I thought it was funny myself, honestly :wink:

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Sun May 04, 2008 5:18 pm

I thought it was funny too. Try this workout!

Monday: Guns!

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/pleas ... ne-425640/

TimD

Post by TimD » Sun May 04, 2008 5:36 pm

Still laughing Pete. I'm familiar with that St Wilhelms (sp?) guy. I was looking up complexes on youtube and found one from him doing awesome 1 arm stuff w/ a sandbag. Used the TGU to start each one.
Tim

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sun May 04, 2008 5:51 pm

Nice, I need to add a gunz day.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Sun May 04, 2008 5:54 pm

Tim, thanks. Yeah, I've sent that routine to my friends in the past, telling them I was dropping deadlifts and squats and chins to shape up my gunz. No one ever believed me. If you remember the link to that TGU sandbag complex, PM me with it.

+++

In all seriousness to the original poster, I'll stand by what I said earlier. Learn to squat, find one of the basic routines from the sticky and go for it. The Mahler routine, the Rippetoe Starting Strength routine, do Crossfit, do anything centered on the basic exercises. In another thread Stuward wrote:

"There are 6 basic exercises that everyone should do: Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, Row, Overhead Press, Chin up. "

Do a routine with them and just them and you can still get really strong. If your workout is missing some or all of those lifts, especially the first two, you should change it!

Oh yeah I just remember this, the old "Crossfit Beginner's Routine." Not as popular now as just scaling the workouts, but still looks good for a beginner with a little gear (you need a barbell and a 400m running course) and some determination.
http://www.crossfit.com/journal/library ... sMay03.pdf

Maybe it should go in the basic routine sticky too. It's aimed more at grooving the basic movements and getting some endurance than strength, but for a beginner, you'd get stronger too so it's not a bad start. Plus it has the running everyone seems to want to do as cardio AND not a curl in sight.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Sun May 04, 2008 6:06 pm

Ironman wrote:Nice, I need to add a gunz day.
You need two, framing the Pecs day, so you hit all the important muscles. That way if you miss a workout later in the week it's only legs or back or something, nothing critical.

Maybe we should make that workout a cautionary sticky. "If your routine looks more like this than like Starting Strength, you've got a problem." I think lots of personal trainers give clients pretty much that split.
Last edited by pdellorto on Sun May 04, 2008 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Sun May 04, 2008 7:01 pm

I added a preacher curl day to my routine.