Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Dave82
Rookie
Rookie

worried

Post by Dave82 » Thu May 08, 2008 10:16 am

http://www.t-nation.com/article/most_re ... ated_equal

I have just read this on t-nation and am now concerned that I might fall into the category this guy calls 'skinny-fat hardgainer' and that I might be fighting a losing battle trying to gain muscle. I have always been a stressed-out, figity kind of person and sound like what he is describing. I don’t like to think I’m putting a lot of effort in for results I’m not going to see… Anyone got any comments?

Hercules
n00b
n00b

Post by Hercules » Thu May 08, 2008 10:25 am

I had always thought of myself as a hardgainer... then I learned how to eat for my body type. When you read articles like that, you get discouraged and think you're 'destined' for failure. You need to identify your body type and eat/train accordingly. Screw genetics. Overcome your 'limitations' (the only ones you have are the ones you set for yourself) and prove that article wrong.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: worried

Post by Stephen Johnson » Thu May 08, 2008 10:56 am

Dave82 wrote:http://www.t-nation.com/article/most_re ... ated_equal

I have just read this on t-nation and am now concerned that I might fall into the category this guy calls 'skinny-fat hardgainer' and that I might be fighting a losing battle trying to gain muscle. I have always been a stressed-out, figity kind of person and sound like what he is describing. I don’t like to think I’m putting a lot of effort in for results I’m not going to see… Anyone got any comments?
My advice is for you to start a training diary. Try a number of programs, record the results and see what works for you.

Not everyone can be a champion bodybuilder. But anyone can improve his physique via training and diet. Just because your results aren't as good as the next guy's doesn't make you a failure. You would be a failure if you accept the notion that you're a "skinny-fat hardgainer" and did nothing.
Last edited by Stephen Johnson on Thu May 08, 2008 8:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Manofsteel319

Post by Manofsteel319 » Thu May 08, 2008 11:02 am

well spoken stephen well spoken. I concur.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Fri May 09, 2008 10:35 pm

Reading that article, I fall under "skinny-fat hardgainer."

But ultimately, so what?

You just have to work and get as strong as you can. The fact that other people may have an easier or harder time is just something you need to understand when getting training advice. It's not something that can stop you from getting to your personal best. It might be a hard road but look at it as a challenge.

And yeah, training log. Write it down, the folks who "just remember" never progress as well as the ones who meticulously write it down.

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Fri May 09, 2008 10:54 pm

That picture sure did cheer me up.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Sat May 10, 2008 6:50 pm

brook011 wrote:That picture sure did cheer me up.
It made me sad my girlfriend wasn't staying over.