Benefits of plyometrics for the non-athlete

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

bob

Benefits of plyometrics for the non-athlete

Post by bob » Sun May 11, 2008 9:21 pm

From what i know, plyometrics is used extensivley in sports to improve ones explosiveness-sprinting, basketball,etc. Are there any benefits to the non-athlete for this type of training? My sports days are over and I'd like to add some plyos if it will help make my legs stronger for everyday activities.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: Benefits of plyometrics for the non-athlete

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sun May 11, 2008 10:22 pm

bob wrote:From what i know, plyometrics is used extensivley in sports to improve ones explosiveness-sprinting, basketball,etc. Are there any benefits to the non-athlete for this type of training? My sports days are over and I'd like to add some plyos if it will help make my legs stronger for everyday activities.
Power training will help the non-athlete in emergency situations:
"You can't outrun that grizzly bear!"

"No, but I can outrun you!"
Muscular power declines with age, so doing power training will help you keep that spring in your step longer.

Be sure that you have a good strength base before doing heavy plyometrics - it puts a lot of stress on the body. I remember doing rebounding drills wearing a pair of crummy cross trainers years ago, and my feet were sore for a week.

bob

Post by bob » Mon May 12, 2008 9:10 am

Thanks for the reply. I figured there would be some benefit. Your right about making sure you have a good strength base first. I won't do plyos until i have that. At 56, i don't want to get too eager too soon!!

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon May 12, 2008 10:18 pm

The bit about the bear is funny, but the concept is dead serious. Right now I'm regretting that I haven't done more power training. A few days ago my son was in an emergency situation involving rock climbing and cave exploration, about 2 hours, at an "ordinary" pace from the nearest road. What was needed was more manpower to haul him up from a vertical shaft. I lead a rescue effort, but I had to lead from the rear. Fortunately, I have friends (including one of my lifting partners) who are more fit than me, and I insisted that they run ahead. The path was mostly uphill, a rough track of packed clay, moist from recent rains. Every step was a plyometric, proprioceptive, balance and strength challenge. As luck would have it, I got this call right after my workout on a deadlift day, so I was already pretty tired.

Fortunately my fit friends made the 2-hour trip in about an hour, and the additional man power got my son out before I could get there. Next time something like this comes up, I intend to be ready to be more help.

Manofsteel319

Post by Manofsteel319 » Tue May 13, 2008 8:31 am

WOW Doc i remember you telling us he couldnt lift cause he was going to go cave exploring or something crazy. prefect example.