When to up the weight?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

When to up the weight?

Post by brook011 » Mon May 12, 2008 7:03 pm

When is a good time to up the weight, or should it always be a continual attack on the next 10 lbs?

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Mon May 12, 2008 7:17 pm

Up it after you reach your specific goal. Ex: You are aiming for 5 RM @ 225. You accomplish that then up the weight to 230 or 235.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon May 12, 2008 9:53 pm

There are several approaches.

Many lifters (like ironmaiden) set a specific goal for number of reps. When they can lift that (some make sure that they can repeat the performance more than once) they increase the weight but a set amount or a percentage (5% is often mentioned).

Some start with weight that is within their capacity, but add a certain amount every time they lift, until they reach the point that they can't make their goal reps. After some planned number of repeat attempts (I use 3), they deload by some percentage (20%?) and then work their way back up. I haven't been doing it this way long enough to have a strong opinion.

Others base their workouts on percentages of their 1RM, varying it from workout to workout or week to week, then trying to set a new 1RM, which in turn automatically resets the training weights for the next cycle.

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Mon May 12, 2008 10:21 pm

Well I'm working towards 225 x 5, but I know I'm a long ways off still. Ideal day of benching, like today --

30 pushups - warmup
135 x 12
165 x 10
175 x 8 x 2

I then tried 185, though I think I was too burnt to do it, and I wonder if I should be removing the 135 lb set and start at 165 to 175 to 185. 185 went down once and I immediately felt discomfort doing it and had to stop. Funny thing is, I had issues "no gas left in the tank" doing close grip and tricep extensions after that. I feel I can do higher but I'm not trying to get hurt reaching my goal.

Manofsteel319

Post by Manofsteel319 » Tue May 13, 2008 9:00 am

Brook I would take your pushups as a warm up. What your trying to do is lift on a very thin line. For instance maxing out on anything is hard for me. Because you have to a make sure you dont burn yourself out before then and trying not do too many sets. I would take the 135 off and not do the 175 twice try to get 6 of the 185. Also make sure you stretch and are hydrated and you keep the same amount of time in between sets. There are also other workouts that could improve your bench. Hitting your triceps a different way but hitting them hard. Improving triceps strength will improve bench strength. Also focus on the eccentric part of the lift when your bringing the weight down don't just let it slam on your chest because your waisting half a workout lol. You may have to lower the weight but when the time comes you'll hit and exceed your goal. It will happen. :cool:

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Tue May 13, 2008 2:37 pm

hardest thing ive been doing to increase my tricep mass is close grip benching. It's usually that and individual extensions to correct a bit of a disproportion. Is there a trick to getting the back of the tricep, or is just losing all body fat on the arms? It's like I have half of a horseshoe at the moment.

Manofsteel319

Post by Manofsteel319 » Tue May 13, 2008 2:41 pm

Well it's actually a little bit of both. If you hit the tricep with isolation workouts. Which I really don't like buuuuut if you work your strength up with isolation workouts like skull crushers tricep press downs it would help your bench. I used to close grip bench and thats how i originally think my triceps became bigger. Just remember theres more in every workout then just the muscle your intending to hit. Bench its chest tris delts. Just do what you can eat correctly adjust depending on goals and make sure youhave a joural to track progress.

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Tue May 13, 2008 2:43 pm

Any good online journals? I have a great memory but it would be nice to have something online to keep it all together for me.

Manofsteel319

Post by Manofsteel319 » Tue May 13, 2008 2:45 pm

yes its this one website whats the name again great website amazing .....ahhhh yea... www.exrx.net lol this website has journal journal discussions etc. You start a thread I'll discuss it with ya. Thing is there are PROFESSIONALS on here. I'm not one of them but I have been lifting and researching lifting for years. feel free to start one. theres only I think five of us that keep up with it daily though.

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Tue May 13, 2008 2:59 pm

haha sounds good sir.

stuward

Post by stuward » Tue May 13, 2008 3:16 pm

I use gymjournal.com

It will graph your progress and calculate your 1rm, etc. It's quite handy to help you remember what you did.

You can also build routines and it will calculate your weights based on past performance.

Stu

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Tue May 13, 2008 8:19 pm

just stuck to this for now, got a few days up from what i had written down. thatll work.

Manofsteel319

Post by Manofsteel319 » Wed May 14, 2008 8:37 am

stu I did check out gymjournal.com and I'm on there now as well and if I'm not mistaken I seen you on there too. but that is incredibly in depth. If you want to track calorie intake workouts done work done each workout size gains and goals on there that seems like an amazing site to do it on. The only thing I'm not too fond of is that if you were to have an avatar on there you'd have to be a final fantasy character :lol: And thats it nothing else. wierd. Another great site though.

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed May 14, 2008 9:11 am

Yeah, the avatars suck. The web site author is rewriting parts of it. Maybe he'll fix that. If you decide to join, request to become my friend. then we can see each other's workouts.

Chris_A
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Chris_A » Wed May 14, 2008 10:38 am

Jungledoc wrote:Others base their workouts on percentages of their 1RM, varying it from workout to workout or week to week, then trying to set a new 1RM, which in turn automatically resets the training weights for the next cycle.
This is what I do. I try to add to the routine each time I workout. Whether that be adding more weight or more reps. So if I did 205 last time for 10 reps, then this time I add 5 lbs and try for at least 8. I then keep that weight and keep adding reps until I can do 3 sets of 9 or 10. So, basically, once I can do 3 sets of 10 reps with a weight, I up the poundage by 5 lbs and then work back to 3 of 10 again.

If I begin to stall with this, then I’ll lighten the load for a few days and up the reps to around 15. Then I’ll increase the weight to what I think I can handle for 5-6 reps and use that for a few weeks. Finally, I’ll go back to the weight I stalled on and try to get it for 3 of 10 and then start adding 5 lbs again.

And if that doesn’t work, then I take a week or so off!

If you want to really blast your inner tricep (that stubborn long head) then try single arm press downs with a supinated (palm up) grip on a D-Handle. This really targets the inner triceps. You can also do rope pressdowns making sure to keep your hands together all the way to the bottom, then at the bottom, pull them apart as far as you can with strict form. This really burns up the inner tricep.