When to up the weight?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Wed May 14, 2008 8:10 pm

I guess it boils down to this, if you are a bodybuilder, with good arms, legs, or whatever, and want to get a certain "part" up to contest standards, the EMG thing supporting the isolation moves, might be of benefit to you. If you are working for strength and bulk, go for the comounds.
Tim

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu May 15, 2008 9:26 am

Chris--The EMG data is interesting. My question is how did they load the lifts? They couldn't have used the same weight for each one, could they? I mean you can't use the same weight for a leg curl and for a dead and think that the exercises were equivalent, could you? Yet they compare the EMG values of the two.

Seated leg curls ----------------------------88
Standing leg curls --------------------------79
Lying leg curls -----------------------------70
Modified hamstring deads --------------------63

Surely you could just add more weight to the dead, and get the same amount of activation as seated leg curls, right?

So I wanted to know how the study was conducted. The link you gave is to an article that discusses the study, not the study itself. The authors of the article give credit to the authors of the study, but they don't really supply a citation that can be used to locate the actual study, not even a title.

I did an on-line search of the MedLine data base (the most comprehensive listing of medically-related publications in the world) and couldn't find a study with those two authors. I found 4 by Bompa, all sports physiology-related topics, but none co-authored with Cornacchia.

I searched again on the two last names, thinking the article may have gotten a first name or middle initial. I found 57 articles with either name as an author, but none with both names, and no article that was about using EMG to evaluate resistance exercises.

So my guess is that it is either unpublished data, or published in a journal that isn't cataloged by MedLine, probably one that's specifically sports related.

Does anyone have any idea where the original study might have been published?

Chris_A
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Chris_A » Thu May 15, 2008 12:54 pm

Jungledoc wrote:Does anyone have any idea where the original study might have been published?
In their book.

http://www.exrx.net/Store/HK/SeriousStr ... ining.html

TimD

Post by TimD » Thu May 15, 2008 1:10 pm

BTW, that's a good text. I would recommend it highly, as well as his "Periodization Training for Sports". Same idea as Serious Strength, but geared more towards athletes. A bit different peridization block models and techniques.
Tim

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu May 15, 2008 2:43 pm

So, do they say what weights they used for the EMG study?

Chris_A
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Chris_A » Thu May 15, 2008 3:28 pm

Jungledoc wrote:So, do they say what weights they used for the EMG study?
Sadly, I don't have the book anymore. From what I remember, they used a rep range for the tests. They used both men and women subjects, and all subjects had experience in lifting. Obviously, you can't say we're using 300lbs for the benchpress for everyone involved.

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri May 23, 2008 2:31 pm

Manofsteel319 wrote:stu I did check out gymjournal.com and I'm on there now as well and if I'm not mistaken I seen you on there too. but that is incredibly in depth. If you want to track calorie intake workouts done work done each workout size gains and goals on there that seems like an amazing site to do it on. The only thing I'm not too fond of is that if you were to have an avatar on there you'd have to be a final fantasy character :lol: And thats it nothing else. wierd. Another great site though.
John

The webmaster of Gymjournal saw this post and he changed it so you can add your own avatar.

Stu

Manofsteel319

Post by Manofsteel319 » Fri May 23, 2008 2:34 pm

You know what that means stu? Im amazing.... lmao jk jk but it shows one man can make a difference!!! Ha. Not counting politics that is. Are you sure thats what he read or just decided time for more options? I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only one that thought wtf? lol

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri May 23, 2008 2:38 pm

No, he wrote me that he read the post, and I made the suggestion. I've changed my avatar. Log in and see.

Manofsteel319

Post by Manofsteel319 » Fri May 23, 2008 2:39 pm

Sweet will do. Good stuff.

Manofsteel319

Post by Manofsteel319 » Fri May 23, 2008 3:04 pm

Support the troops. Good stuff man. Good stuff. I'm going to have to look for something see what I can come up with.

Manofsteel319

Post by Manofsteel319 » Fri May 23, 2008 3:15 pm

Check mine if you can stu I changed it.

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri May 23, 2008 4:22 pm

Cool, that's the Dallas Cowboy star isn't it? Somehow I expected this: Image

Stu

Manofsteel319

Post by Manofsteel319 » Fri May 23, 2008 4:33 pm

haha genious...I'll change it to that now. It wouldbe more fitting wouldnt it? lol By the way I have that tattooed in the middle of my chest lol

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri May 23, 2008 4:39 pm

Ha, it's there!!