Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

Manofsteel319

Post by Manofsteel319 » Fri May 23, 2008 4:40 pm

do what I can my friend, do what i can. :lol:

uvhst3p
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by uvhst3p » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:59 am

hey all! i got a question about moving up weight.

so i have been lifting 10 lb dumbbells for bicep curls for a couple of weeks now. i have been comfortable now with the exercise, and now able to pull off the exercise with minimal to zero body language, and still have energy afterwards. so i decided to move up weight to the next possible weight and that is 12.5 lbs dumbbells. now, i find it difficult to lift the weight and i use body language now to curl the weight up. did i make the right decision to move up weight? thanks

stuward

Post by stuward » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:30 am

That's the trouble with dumbells, it's hard to make small progressions. You have to do what you can. There's nothing wrong with a little body english but you shouldn't rely on it. One alternative is micro weights, but they can be expensive.

You don't say how many reps or sets you do. You can progress by increasing reps and/or sets. For example, once you are able to do 10 reps with 10 lbs, 2 reps at 12 should be possible. Once you are at 20 reps at 10lbs, you will probably be able to do 5 reps at 12 lbs. You can switch back and forth, just keep increasing the reps for each weight level. Eventually you can drop the lower weight. There's no value in a weight once you get past 20 reps.

Many here will tellyou that bicep curls are relatively useless for a beginner anyway. You should be focusing on rows and pull ups. The main focus will be on your back but the biceps will get trained at the same time.

Stu