HIIT - Guidance please...

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

duly noted
Rookie
Rookie

HIIT - Guidance please...

Post by duly noted » Tue May 20, 2008 5:42 pm

My son is 15 and trying to bulk up. At the same time, he is getting in shape for football and wants to work on legs/explosiveness/speed. I don't think he needs long, slow cardio... I believe he needs HIIT, but what form should that take? 100 yard wind sprints? How much rest in between? 40 yard sprints? How many? I don't want to steer him wrong...

stuward

Post by stuward » Tue May 20, 2008 6:02 pm

At 15, just about anything will work. 40 metre sprints with 30 sec between sprints would simulate game play. Make it fun. Add agility drills.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Wed May 21, 2008 4:54 am

Plyo's in the form of box jumps wouldn't hurt either.
Tim

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: HIIT - Guidance please...

Post by Stephen Johnson » Wed May 21, 2008 9:40 am

duly noted wrote:My son is 15 and trying to bulk up. At the same time, he is getting in shape for football and wants to work on legs/explosiveness/speed. I don't think he needs long, slow cardio... I believe he needs HIIT, but what form should that take? 100 yard wind sprints? How much rest in between? 40 yard sprints? How many? I don't want to steer him wrong...
Why don't you talk to the football coach at your son's high school and ask him about what's involved in the conditioning programs that they have for their athletes? Armed with that information, you can design a conditioning program for your son that is relevant to what is actually done by the team.

Although HIIT work is more important than LSD-type cardio, your son should work up to being able to jog a mile in 10 minutes or less. Some endurance work has its place in training.

Manofsteel319

Post by Manofsteel319 » Wed May 21, 2008 11:11 am

Train him geared towards football. Set up the three cone drill which measures lateral movement. Also make him run 50 yards when practicing so he's not dead at the end of the 40. A lot of sprinters and football players look at the 40 as a finish line therefore they would slow down.

Also I would do position specific drills. Anything more than nothing will help your son. To get faster at the 40 he needs to run it more. To get explosiveness he needs to jump more also like take on a sled to simulate taking on a defender or a blocker.

If your bigger than him and able to semi train with him you can be a great help. Get a football and go to a field. As a safety he's the guy that is the last hope for a long pass. He needs to have a good transition with his hip swivel from running back wards to turning and running.

Here's some things that I would think would help.

Buy a wind resistance chute** so that when he sprints he's training with the resistance of the wind but remember you don't want to over do it.

Also you can buy your own sled for like 150$ put weight on it and that would help give him strength that way.

Hills are good too. By running up hills or stairs he'd be working his hip flexors which actually bring the leg up and helps with top end speed.

Calf raises with heavy weight dead lifts and squats. Imagine him being 150 lbs squatting 300? Imagine him being able to calf raise 250 lbs. Now imagine the explosiveness that those combined with his weight and speed would =.

Cable cross overs for tackleing strength. Everyone would love to be that safety that can blast the ball carrier and knock him down but you need to be able to tackle as well. You combine explosiveness with great form he will a safety to fear.

To conclude I would say work on strength a lot in legs because legs are a big part of football strength also work on starting speed explosiveness. Work on lateral movements and lateral speed. Finishing a play and hustling is considered heart and to have heart thats what really makes a football player.
Last edited by Manofsteel319 on Wed May 21, 2008 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrWonderful
Novice
Novice

Post by MrWonderful » Wed May 21, 2008 1:45 pm

A lot of good suggestions here already, I'll add a couple. I would like to preface also by say that while I believe strength is important for football I believe explosiveness, agility, and speed are far more important especially at the high school level and especially for skill positions. The reason I believe this is that I think that the type of exercises that you perform to enhance speed, agility, and quickness have a lot more carry over to on the field performance than weight lifting does.

Things I would suggest for your son to do would be:

40yd dash

20yd lateral dash for each leading hip

20yd backwards shuffle

Cone drill

Box jumps as mentioned by Tim

Single leg jumps up stairs (you could use the stadium for this)

Single leg jumps for height (Ex. You jump on your right leg as high as you can as many times as you can for 10yd, switch to your left and repeat)

Running routes

There are many other plyos that you can probably find on youtube.

Also getting a chute like John said would be good and if you don't feel like paying for a drag sled you can buy some old tires from a junk yard and tie them together. Jerry Rice used to drag 5 tires to train. Doing these exercises 2 to 3 times a week over the summer should result in huge speed and quickness improvements for your son.

duly noted
Rookie
Rookie

Post by duly noted » Wed May 21, 2008 4:16 pm

MrWonderful
How often are those done? repetitions? # days in the week?

MrWonderful
Novice
Novice

Post by MrWonderful » Wed May 21, 2008 7:00 pm

duly noted wrote:MrWonderful
How often are those done? repetitions? # days in the week?
I would recommended 2-3 days a week on days that he isn't lifting. Depending on how in shape your son is I would start at 10 for each of the dashes with around 30-45 seconds of rest in between and once he is comfortable or if he is already in better shape bump it up to 15. Also if you decide to use a chute/drag device you can sub running with that for straight dashes, maybe every other session and extend the rest time when using that.

For the jumps I would focus on doing 2 sets of each (2 for each leg). For the boxes (use double legs for this) I would do reps of 10-15 (I would youtube this because you will get a better idea of it than me describing is in writing), the stairs you kind of have to judge for yourself (if they're really long 1 set with a rest in the middle would be fine), the single leg jump for height should be done as many times as your son can in 10yds while maintaining forward motion (it's the same idea as lifting to failure). Once your son feels comfortable add an extra set or two. These exercises should be executed focusing on quickness and control. Ex. on the single leg jumps for height his foot should immediately be jumping back up once it hits the ground.

If needed I would rotate plyo and running days until comfortable with doing both.

As a side note, for variety you can change the single leg jumps to double leg and focus on distance rather than amount of repetitions in 10yds, i.e. jumping 20-40 yds in the fewest jumps.

Good luck.