kettlebells

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, parth, stuward

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

kettlebells

Post by robertscott » Wed May 21, 2008 9:05 am

Does anyone ever use kettlebells? What advantages -if any- do they have over dumbells/barbells. The gym i use just now doesn't have them so I've never had a chance to use them but as of next month i'm using a new gym which does so I'm just wondering if there's any point.

Cheers guys.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: kettlebells

Post by Stephen Johnson » Wed May 21, 2008 9:50 am

robertscott wrote:Does anyone ever use kettlebells? What advantages -if any- do they have over dumbells/barbells. The gym i use just now doesn't have them so I've never had a chance to use them but as of next month i'm using a new gym which does so I'm just wondering if there's any point.
Why not give it s shot? Experience is the best teacher.

Kettlebells are an old school training tool that's been making a comeback in recent years. I haven't used them much myself, but people who are into doing complexes-type lifting seem to prefer kettlebells to dumbbells. I don't see any advantage of kettlebells over dumbbells for traditional bodybuilding type work.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Wed May 21, 2008 10:14 am

yeah fair enough, I was going to use them for things like shoulder raises, flyes etc but it just seems like I'd be using them as dumbells which isn't very exciting.

Is there any kettlebell specific stuff worth trying?

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Wed May 21, 2008 1:49 pm

You can go over to the dragondoor.com forum for a lot of different ideas, but from personal experience, I use them mainly for swings and the 1 and 2 arm Oly lifts and their variations. Because of the handle , the 2 arm1 KB swing (which is a great conditioner and back move) places the palms pronated and facing down, which just makes the movement feel much "in the groove" and allows the beels to go between the legs much more comfortably than the two hand 1 DB swing with a thumbs up grip. Other things to try are figure 8s, a between the legs KB passing movement. As to the 1 arm O lift variations, it's about the same as using a DB, but the balance is off.
Tim

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Thu May 22, 2008 9:56 am

thanks for the link Tim, think I'll have a go at those swings, they look pretty cool.

Also think i might try using complexes as a warm up on my push/pull days.

sickboy
Novice
Novice

Post by sickboy » Fri May 23, 2008 12:18 pm

I second Tim with the swings, they are fantastic! Since Kenny and Tim suggested them to me I have not stop using them. I warm up with swings also, most of the time. By the way, I made my KB's from a tricep-bar that I never used (I think TimD suggested that...Thanks again Tim!) Even with this home made version, the KB is much better than the DB.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri May 30, 2008 7:40 am

I came across this, and thought you might find it interesting. It's just Boris lifting his KB for 10 minutes, but it's impressive. The thing weighs 70#!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW7T3TNM ... gspot.com/

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Fri May 30, 2008 8:14 am

Nice video. And browsing the related videos I see there is an English-speaking RKC instructor in Tokyo. Hmm...maybe I should email the guy, see about visiting sometime. I haven't gotten to try kettlebells, I'd like to, I do enough dumbbell swinging and snatching, so why not?

TeeBee
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by TeeBee » Fri May 30, 2008 3:26 pm

I bought a 40-lb. kettlebell just for fun. I like the way it looks. I use it primarily for cardio (the swing-between-the-legs routine). Also I press it in the morning to get my heart started.

I think you'd have to go up to a very heavy kettlebell to reap benefits; that is, I don't think a kettlebell is any better for weight-lifting purposes than a dumbbell. But YouTube is packed with kb exercises, something for every taste.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri May 30, 2008 4:43 pm

TeeBee wrote:... I press it in the morning to get my heart started.
I'm REALLY curious about what you mean by "get my heart started."

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Fri May 30, 2008 6:03 pm

Bob, I can't really recommend my method of nasal pre-surgical preparation. Maybe if you got it whacked with a kettlebell?

jonbey
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jonbey » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:28 pm

I think that they are just an different way to work the body. Adds a bit of spice to the standard routine. If everyone was doing kettlebells, then a few people would ask "what are these dumbbells that I see people using, why do they sue them?"

I think that kettles allow for a more dynamic workout, with snatches etc, which improve grip strength and timing, coordination, much more so that standard bars and dumbs. Ultimately it is a matter of preference. Some people just enjoy swinging a kettlebell around, in the same way that some people like carrying sacks and dragging chains, and other wacky strength training methods.

Manofsteel319

Post by Manofsteel319 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:07 pm

and other wacky strength training methods
Hilarious. What you may consider wacky may be the best way. I have never done too much different type of training but if the wacky way works why not do it? LOL

TimD

Post by TimD » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:12 pm

Makes me think when I was yound and lunacy ruled. On saturdays, after either the game or a hard workout, we'd have a BBQ, and after some food and a few beers, we'd start playing around with the kegs. Was pretty fun, with all the beer sloshing around inside,it made it much more difficult than lifting a standard barbell. Also making it challenging was the fact we were doing it while buzzed.
Tim

Manofsteel319

Post by Manofsteel319 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:15 pm

LOL Tim .... Funny. I haven't actually even tried to carry a keg in a few years. The last time was like 5 years ago and I helped carry it. LOL Crazy. My guess is that beer has gotten a lot heavier since you last did it. :wink: lol....