Cutting Fat

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

duly noted
Rookie
Rookie

Cutting Fat

Post by duly noted » Wed May 21, 2008 2:08 pm

I'm lifting four days a week and eating relatively healthy... I am not losing any weight and seem to be stuck at 200 lbs. I am seeing some muscle definition, so maybe I am replacing some fat with muscle. How do I burn up some fat. Hours of cardio does not seem to be the answer because it interferes with building muscle... Correct?

Manofsteel319

Post by Manofsteel319 » Wed May 21, 2008 2:26 pm

HIIT Run for short periods of time but make them really intense. Like 20 minutes total 15 minutes of joggin with 30 second intervals of really fast running. I'd not reccomend this on a treadmill. I think it would be better suited to running out side. You can burn like 400 calories in 20 minutes if you just kill yourself... its tough but man ... its good stuff.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Wed May 21, 2008 2:30 pm

First, diet is key, and when you say relatively healthy, you can ask ten people and get ten different answers. Could you describe it please. As to the training, HIIT intervals are probably the best, but don't discount complexes and such with weights. They can supplement the heavier basic stuff. Have you read our sticky on that subject?
Tim

duly noted
Rookie
Rookie

Post by duly noted » Wed May 21, 2008 2:31 pm

I don't really have a good spot around here (at work) during the day... except the gym next door (with treadmills). How often do you do this? Can it be done on treadmills? Probably, but pushing all the buttons would be tedious... 30 second bursts followed by how long of jogging?

Thx...

Manofsteel319

Post by Manofsteel319 » Wed May 21, 2008 2:32 pm

I would say what ever you feel comfortable with. If you want to do it job then burst for thirty then jog untill you feel that you can do it again. I go job a minute run 30 seconds jog a minute run faster for 45 jog a minute run really fast 15 seond jog for two minutes.... etc what ever you can handle.

duly noted
Rookie
Rookie

Post by duly noted » Wed May 21, 2008 2:35 pm

I'll have to read about the complexes...

Diet: I could definitely get better... When I say "relatively healthy" I mean that I am eating 5-6 times per day, but not supplementing (yet). I am watching fat and the protein/carb balance. I'm not eating any dairy and limiting grain input to whole wheat wraps with ~ 6 net carbs. I don't have a meticulously defined diet with calorie counts though... I'm thiking some sort of supplementation should occur with a shake before and after lifting.... Trying to work out exactly what form that will take.

TimD

Post by TimD » Wed May 21, 2008 2:42 pm

The diet does sound relatively good. Might want to read our sticky in the D and N section on guidelines, which links to Berardi's article on the 7 habits of an effective nutrition system, which is very similar to what your doing. I don't know what your training split is, but you might want to approach it full body in at least one session. Bodypart splits with long rest periods aren't all that conducive to burning fat. The more muscle you can get active at once, the more you can kickup the metabolism. Another idea is to finish your weight session with "finishers", i.e. 2-3 sets of 20DB swings, 30 sec rest between sets.
Tim

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: Cutting Fat

Post by Stephen Johnson » Wed May 21, 2008 3:28 pm

duly noted wrote:I'm lifting four days a week and eating relatively healthy... I am not losing any weight and seem to be stuck at 200 lbs. I am seeing some muscle definition, so maybe I am replacing some fat with muscle.
Get measured - waist, hips and chest in particular. Also, take full body pictures of yourself in a swim suit or the like, both front and back. Then one month later, repeat the process. See if there's any improvement. If there is, you're on the right track.

Don't get too hung up on scales, unless you're obese.

duly noted
Rookie
Rookie

Post by duly noted » Wed May 21, 2008 4:10 pm

So what happens to waist, hips and chest measurements with fat loos and muscle gain? Is it possible for those to offset in the measurements? What am I looking for?

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Wed May 21, 2008 4:16 pm

duly noted wrote:So what happens to waist, hips and chest measurements with fat loos and muscle gain? What am I looking for?
The waist and hips are depositories of fat in most people. If that describes you, you're looking for their measurements to get smaller.

duly noted
Rookie
Rookie

Post by duly noted » Wed May 21, 2008 4:28 pm

The waist and hips are depositories of fat in most people. If that describes you, you're looking for their measurements to get smaller.
Ahh... True.