Question about 5 x 5

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

Chris_A
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Chris_A » Wed May 28, 2008 10:35 pm

You're right Tim! I signed up and downloaded the full PDF of that program, and he goes on and on about Ripptoe. He's only made a few modifications to what Rippetoe was doing based on his personal experience. Looks like a great beginner program.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Wed May 28, 2008 10:53 pm

Yes, for someone wanting to get strong and maybe add some size. However, and this may seem strange coming from me, my personal beliefs are that for true beginner's, never having lifted weights, to embark on a rogram that utilizes a wide variey of exercises , for 1-2 sets, full body, circuit or not, for about 4 weeks, then go into something like the above. The object being, get your body used to the overload priniple.
Just my 02 on the subject.
Tim

Chris_A
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Chris_A » Wed May 28, 2008 11:01 pm

TimD wrote:Yes, for someone wanting to get strong and maybe add some size. However, and this may seem strange coming from me, my personal beliefs are that for true beginner's, never having lifted weights, to embark on a rogram that utilizes a wide variey of exercises , for 1-2 sets, full body, circuit or not, for about 4 weeks, then go into something like the above. The object being, get your body used to the overload priniple.
Just my 02 on the subject.
Tim
I can actually really agree with that. Well said!

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu May 29, 2008 5:59 am

I did Madcow last year. The 4 week workup is essential. You don't want to start near your max to start with as you won't get the adaptation you need. Make your increases small and regular. For example if your current 5 RM is 100, start at 80 and go up 5 every week. You'll pass your old max in 4 week and will just keep on building.

If you are a beginner, don't start with this program, you will make better progress on Rippetoe or Stronglifts. Do it only after you have exhausted the gains you get from those that type of program.

Neb154
Novice
Novice

Post by Neb154 » Thu May 29, 2008 9:21 am

stuward wrote:I did Madcow last year. The 4 week workup is essential. You don't want to start near your max to start with as you won't get the adaptation you need. Make your increases small and regular. For example if your current 5 RM is 100, start at 80 and go up 5 every week. You'll pass your old max in 4 week and will just keep on building.

If you are a beginner, don't start with this program, you will make better progress on Rippetoe or Stronglifts. Do it only after you have exhausted the gains you get from those that type of program.
Thanks for the input. I was wondering though, which diet did you pair with the lifting program (especially in the first 4 weeks)? And what were your results with the program?

And I think that I have lifted for long enough that I don't qualify as a beginner, so I think I will stick with the Madcow.

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu May 29, 2008 9:33 am

I don't recall my diet. I know I burned out after about 8 weeks. A younger person might get a better run at it.

The first 4 weeks seemed too easy but the intensity built fast.

Neb154
Novice
Novice

Post by Neb154 » Thu May 29, 2008 2:20 pm

First, thanks for all your input.

Second, I have another question.

I went to see my physical therapist today and he cleared me for all exercises, except he actually advocated my using of military instead of incline press, although with dumbbells.

How would I incorporate dumbbells?

Should I just do a simple shoulder press (i.e with a bench supporting me)?

TimD

Post by TimD » Thu May 29, 2008 3:19 pm

Just take the DB's, clean them to your shoulders, no bench necessary, but one with a back support wil work if you find it necessary, and press them. Use the same set re sequence as for the inclines. I find that a palms facing grip is much easier on my shoulders, but a pronated grip works as well.
Tim