Diet and Exercise Question - Skinny Guy

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, parth, stuward

rafabos
former lurker

Diet and Exercise Question - Skinny Guy

Post by rafabos » Thu May 29, 2008 12:05 am

Im 6'2 165 Lbs - I've gained about 8 pounds by eating alot of fat and calories and now I've cut down to the following:

Oatmeal/Coffe for breakfast
Cereal bar at 10AM
Turkey/Cottage cheese sandwich at 12
Lunch - Veggies and meat at 3pm
Peanut Butter sand after the gym - 7PM
and maybe a late night snack - Soy milk

I do weights 3 times a week and cardio(Running or eliptical) 2 times a week -

But see no reduction in my Gut - Belly - Fat.... Which I dont mind but its concerning because I am skinny and it just looks like it shouldnt be there!

Should I be doing something Different?

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Thu May 29, 2008 12:44 am

The short answer is: diet. Your diet is the component that most affects your body fat level. I'll let others comment on your diet, Ironmaiden especially is a source of good information on diet.

What is your training like? You do cardio and weights 3x a week, but what do you lift? Is your routine heavy on isolation exercises (curls, tricep pushdowns, flys, leg extensions) or compound exercises (squats, deadlifts, pullups, bench presses)? What kind of set and rep scheme do you use? Are you pushing for heavier weights on your lifting or shorter time on your circuits? How about your cardio? Is that high-intensity (i.e. sprints, rowing for speed) or low intensity (jogging, treadmill)?

All of those factors tie in together. I know your pain, though, I can only rarely get rid of my stomach flab even at a fairly low bodyfat level. "Skinny fat guy" is annoying. I've found personally that building up my strength and muscle size has done more to overcome that. I may not have a six-pack, but I've got enough overall size that it's less noticeable. Compared at least to the class high-school famine victim lookalike who has a six-pack and a heroin junkie's build. :wink:

Hope that helps,

Peter

Jungledoc

Re: Diet and Exercise Question - Skinny Guy

Post by Jungledoc » Thu May 29, 2008 4:02 am

rafabos wrote: Oatmeal/Coffe for breakfast
Cereal bar at 10AM
and maybe a late night snack - Soy milk
I'll just offer some thoughts about the diet. As I understand what you're saying, your goal is to lose the fat, even if that makes you thinner, right? Or are you hoping to "bulk up" your muscles while losing the fat? The former is realistic, the second isn't.

What are you focusing on, diet-wise? Are you trying to eliminate fats mostly? I'd suggest that that isn't the most productive way to go.

Here are my "laws" of diet:

-Eat often, eat well
-Don't get hungry
-Favor low GI carbs and low GL foods over high (http://www.mendosa.com/common_foods.htm)
-Eat fat and/or protein with your carbs
-Get most of your carbs from fruit and vegetables
-Favor unsaturated fats and fish oil over saturated and trans fats
-Favor high-quality complete proteins (animal sources) over vegetable proteins (except peanut butter, which is vegetable but fairly complete)
-Calories count, but you don't necessarily have to count them. If you are losing 1 to 2 pounds of weight per week, your calorie intake is low enough. If not, it isn't.

So in the sample diet that you posted, I don't see much protein, little meat, no eggs (a great source). Peanut butter is good, but you can get it other ways than on sandwiches. I don't see much in the way of fruit and vegetables. I see lots of bread. Be cautious of serving size of oatmeal. Be cautious of the cereal bar. Many are high in sugar. If you are allergic or intolerant of cow's milk, the sow milk is an OK substitute. If not, and you like milk, drink cow's milk--it contains protein (good quality, not large amounts), fats (largely saturated) and carbs--but for me, it's carbs I don't need for little benefit.

Sorry for being so long-winded. Hope this helps.

rafabos
former lurker

Post by rafabos » Thu May 29, 2008 3:19 pm

pdellorto wrote:The short answer is: diet. Your diet is the component that most affects your body fat level. I'll let others comment on your diet, Ironmaiden especially is a source of good information on diet.

What is your training like? You do cardio and weights 3x a week, but what do you lift? Is your routine heavy on isolation exercises (curls, tricep pushdowns, flys, leg extensions) or compound exercises (squats, deadlifts, pullups, bench presses)? What kind of set and rep scheme do you use? Are you pushing for heavier weights on your lifting or shorter time on your circuits? How about your cardio? Is that high-intensity (i.e. sprints, rowing for speed) or low intensity (jogging, treadmill)?

All of those factors tie in together. I know your pain, though, I can only rarely get rid of my stomach flab even at a fairly low bodyfat level. "Skinny fat guy" is annoying. I've found personally that building up my strength and muscle size has done more to overcome that. I may not have a six-pack, but I've got enough overall size that it's less noticeable. Compared at least to the class high-school famine victim lookalike who has a six-pack and a heroin junkie's build. :wink:

Hope that helps,

Peter

Alright, so I really am trying to bulk up, and if that means I will have some fat over my abdomen that fine too! ...
My exercise ---

I concentrate on arms, chest, biceps - and its always on isolation exercises....

I'll do 3 reps of 12 for each arm with free weights
2 reps of 15 for biceps
and 3 reps of 12 for chest...

I try to push myself to be able to lift more weight -- right now when I do arms with 20lbs - I find myself struggling at the end.

Should I do more?

My cardio is running and elyptical - I usually do 35 - 45 minutes of it - on and of every 15 minutes -- I let my heart rate go down while I do some abs and then go back for another 15 until I got to 45 minutes or so.

Should I do less cardio? or something different?

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: Diet and Exercise Question - Skinny Guy

Post by Stephen Johnson » Thu May 29, 2008 3:31 pm

rafabos wrote:Im 6'2 165 Lbs - I've gained about 8 pounds by eating alot of fat and calories and now I've cut down to the following:

Oatmeal/Coffe for breakfast
Cereal bar at 10AM
No offense, but the thought of a turkey/cottage cheese sandwich grossed me out. :wink:
rafabos wrote:Alright, so I really am trying to bulk up, and if that means I will have some fat over my abdomen that fine too! ...
My exercise ---

I concentrate on arms, chest, biceps - and its always on isolation exercises....

I'll do 3 reps of 12 for each arm with free weights
2 reps of 15 for biceps
and 3 reps of 12 for chest...

I try to push myself to be able to lift more weight -- right now when I do arms with 20lbs - I find myself struggling at the end.

Should I do more?
Yes.

That isn't a real weight workout. I don't know what equipment that you have available, but if you don't train your legs and back, you aren't training two thirds of your body.

If you don't train your whole body, you can forget about bulking up.

DontPanic
n00b
n00b

Post by DontPanic » Thu May 29, 2008 3:48 pm

I'll chime in on this one since I'm the same build.

For two months I followed all of the diet and exercise guidelines to a T. I did a 2 day Push/Pull split, ABXABXX, doing all of the optional exercises on each day.

I put on 10 pounds in that time.

It was a bit time intensive though and I tried cutting some corners which got me in trouble.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Thu May 29, 2008 6:08 pm

rafabos wrote:Alright, so I really am trying to bulk up, and if that means I will have some fat over my abdomen that fine too! ...
Then you'll need to eat more. You can't shed belly fat while getting bigger, they are essentially contrary goals.

Stephen Johnson is right - that's not a routine you're doing. It's just some cardio and arm exercises. Your rep range is aimed more at endurance than hypertrophy (increased muscle size). You can get stronger doing higher reps, but it's slower because it just doesn't make the demands other rep ranges do. You're also doing a lot of cardio, which burns calories - the same calories you want to bulk with.

Two things to do:

- get a better diet. You'll need to eat more food to get bigger. The other guys here can advise you on that, I'm a novice there.
- get a better exercise plan. Go into the "basic routines" sticky and check out any of the "beginner" routines there, or just go for Simplefit (if you've got almost no equipment) or Crossfit (if you've got equipment and want to olympic lift as well).
All of the routines have a few things in common - you'll be doing leg exercises, not just chest and arms. You'll be doing a full-body workout. You'll be doing compound exercises. You can't build the foundations of good physique with isolation exercises. You build way more muscle with pullups, bench presses, squats, and deadlifts in a much shorter time than you will doing isolation exercises. Save them for later!

Find one of those routines that seems interesting, and get started. It's hard to go wrong if you do any of them as written.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri May 30, 2008 4:19 am

It sounds like you're just jerkin my chain. Funny. If you really are serious, you should read the stickies.

TeeBee
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by TeeBee » Fri May 30, 2008 3:35 pm

Squat!

Bench press!

Dead lift!

Eat!

Rest!

You have to build a foundation before you put up the house. Try to do the exercises mentioned above twice a week, or around every 4 or 5 days. (Not on the same day; that would be too much.) You can do curls and presses and things, but the above are what's going to get you big. And once you start LIFTING, you will notice that you are going to start EATING. I agree with previous posts on the diet . . . try to get at least 100 g of protein a day (buy a good whey powder protein) . . . don't eat junk food (ease up on the bread) . . . eat smaller, more frequent meals . . . drink plenty of water (makes yer muscles feel good) . . . and rest. Recuperation takes place outside of the gym. (If you feel yourself getting burned out, take a week off and enjoy yourself.)

Okay, let us know how you're doing, and good luck.