Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

scs217
Novice
Novice

Form check on olympic lifts

Post by scs217 » Sat May 31, 2008 5:19 pm

Hey guys,

I just finished recording and posting some more youtube videos.

As a refresher, this video was my first posting over a month ago, cleans at the indicated weights http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h03vFlwaFkY, while these next two are new and have slightly improved form I think. New 3/4 front view as requested by Tim, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db_Q-AOu5QU and both views on snatches with higher weight, then lower weight and platforms to simulate proper bar height, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMjh4kXE_ow. Tear my form up, whatever you can find.

scs217
Novice
Novice

Post by scs217 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:14 pm

Ok no hits on this so far with lots of views... Either I'm doing something right or nobody cares :-P
I am seeing with all of the lifts that the bar seems to be coming up much higher than it needs to. That may be something that remedies itself with time and more weight. I see the olympians on youtube only bringing the bar high enough to catch it in the full squat, and they catch it at the apex without any downward acceleration on the bar to be stopped before squatting it up.
I'm also seeing that I either land on my toes or roll towards them while catching. I'm not sure what may be causing this, either using running shoes, ankle inflexibility, or some other thing that I'm not aware of.
I have started to implement the "scoop" or hip pop on most of the lifts as well, which is good to see finally showing up.
With the snatches, the bar is too low to the ground, and I'm not up to using 35lb plates yet, so my back isn't in the best position on the first pull. Ideally it seems that I would be in the top position of an RDL at the end of the first pull from the video I have seen of professionals.

Please any criticism or suggestions?

Also there are slow motion videos posted of the side and 3/4 front views on snatches:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN-iTDvWEHU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPfE13RQcDo

and one of the videos I am using for comparison of form is Pyrros Dimas setting a WR:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12bczFB2X-4

Manofsteel319

Post by Manofsteel319 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:28 pm

I'm at work amigo sooooo I can't even see the videos so thats why I didn't comment. Someone check this guys stuff and give em an opinion! LOL

Ryan A

Post by Ryan A » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:14 pm

It looks like you have trouble front squatting the weight you are using. I would work on those whenever you train cleans, probably right after. That will also address any flexibility issues with your ankles/hips/etc.

It looks like you are not getting much pop with your hips so it might be helpful to work on jump shrugs or something that takes the emphasis away from catching the weight and more on getting the weight higher; you should be able to add weight (throw on straps if you want) and just pull. In contrast, you don't need to get the bar nearly as high as you are getting it, you should work on getting those elbows around faster (the position looks pretty good). Although this sounds confusing, I am saying you want to pull harder as though to get the bar higher, but you can receive it quite a bit lower, translating to a lot more weight used.

scs217
Novice
Novice

Post by scs217 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:58 pm

Ryan, I agree with what you're saying about lots more weight. I bring the bar way higher than I need to, which means that I should be able to do more weight with less height. I don't need to worry about straps, I can DL 275 with an overhand grip.

I don't know how you mean with pulling harder, so as to bring the bar much higher, but recieve it lower.

I do work on front squats almost exclusively (for squat variations).

Also how do I work on getting elbows around the bar more quickly?

MrWonderful
Novice
Novice

Post by MrWonderful » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:25 am

After the jump phase work more on pulling yourself under the bar rather than pulling the bar itself higher. That should help with getting your elbows around the bar faster.

scs217
Novice
Novice

Post by scs217 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:09 am

Any recommendations for my center of gravity being too far forward during the catch?

stuward

Post by stuward » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:54 am

scs217 wrote:Any recommendations for my center of gravity being too far forward during the catch?
Start your pull by pushing from the heels and keep the bar close to your body on the way up. It seems to drift out a bit throwing you forward.

scs217
Novice
Novice

Post by scs217 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:40 pm

Well as a quick update I lifted at the university gym today with their expensive Ivanko equipment and bars. I got all the way up to 132# on snatch and 164# on clean and jerk. It seems that my form is starting to improve. With the additional weight the bar was NOT coming up shoulder high anymore, it was at an appropriate height. The lower height required to pull myself under the bar more consciously so that I would arrive in the catch position before the bar did. Still working on the hip pop with the 3 position drills that Tim recommended (those being floor, below knee, above knee) for both the snatch and clean.