Heavy walking lunges

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:02 am

Oh, no, I only complex relax at the bottom if I'm doing high-rep walking lunges and run out of gas and have to stop before the next rep. If I'm doing any kind of weighted lunges, I "touch-and-go" - my kneepad touches* and I go right back up. If I can't get out of the hole I set down the weights and end the rep.

Maybe totally relaxing at the bottom on a walking lunge is a bad idea, but then so would be kneeling down or kneeling on one knee, which I do all the time. I don't usually need to do that with a weight over my head though.

Peter

* Yes, I'm wearing kneepads. Three words - "bare concrete floor." I need those knees for knocking people out and for kneeling. :lol:

KPj

Post by KPj » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:17 am

Ah, ok :lol:
pdellorto wrote:Maybe totally relaxing at the bottom on a walking lunge is a bad idea, but then so would be kneeling down or kneeling on one knee, which I do all the time. I don't usually need to do that with a weight over my head though.
I think it's ok if you have something soft between the knee and the floor. If you know anyone has any manual job that requires a lot of kneeling, such as tilers, plumbers, electricians - bad knees are very common.

As an amusing aside, when i was going through my shoulder rehab, I was seeing this really bad sports therapist. I was fixing up a house at the time and was tiling the bathroom and k-word. I happened to mention that I may have hurt my knee.. The tiling came up, and her face lit up, then she said "well, your knees aren't really designed to bend".... Ah! So that's where i'm going wrong! ... Don't open that door, it's not designed to open!

She also told me there was 6 rotator cuff muscles, and that most therapists 'miss the other 2" lol.

KPj

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:22 am

KPj wrote:She also told me there was 6 rotator cuff muscles, and that most therapists 'miss the other 2" lol
They're the ones in the knee that keep it from bending. That's how they miss them.

Manofsteel319

Post by Manofsteel319 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:05 am

Physical therapists....lol I have yet to need one and hope I never do.

What would you guys think of holding the slosh pipes over head while doing walking lunges? :evil:

That would be intense...lol I wish I knew someone who could make one of them if I made one I'd have my 8 month old crawling around trying to grab the damn thing. All I need is some weight training equipment to injure my kid!!! LOL

My four yr old lifts a full gallon of milk and then flexes her bicep and says welcome to the gun show boom boom... lmao she's hilarious. Obviously she gets the corniness from her father! haha

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:40 am

Manofsteel319 wrote:...
What would you guys think of holding the slosh pipes over head while doing walking lunges? :evil:
Video tape that for us.

Manofsteel319

Post by Manofsteel319 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:44 am

Will do I'll have to put buying that pipe and the tools to make it on my agenda. I'd do it.

Some people call me crazy I call me unique! lol

Manofsteel319

Post by Manofsteel319 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:45 am

And than I can call them the Corless sloshes... they work the core.... sooooooo if you work them you wont be corless? lmao whatever. Thats a play on my last name by the way if you don't know lol.....

unexpected
n00b
n00b

Question on lunge form...

Post by unexpected » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:58 am

After you complete a lunge, is it better to proceed straight into the next lunge, or is it okay to come back to a rest position (standing) before beginning the next lunge?

I'm a tall guy (6' 4") and going straight into the next lunge feels really awkward....

Manofsteel319

Post by Manofsteel319 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:09 pm

It completely depends on you. I know it feels awkward because I do it. LOL I just do it because I feel not only the motion of not moving makes more force when you actually plant. I think if you stop then step its almost like taking it easy. I'm not into that. Thing is I'm only 5'8 and that is probably the difference right there. Doing lunges either stepping stopping then stepping again or just walking through it is better than not doing them at all...lol

KPj

Re: Question on lunge form...

Post by KPj » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:21 pm

unexpected wrote:After you complete a lunge, is it better to proceed straight into the next lunge, or is it okay to come back to a rest position (standing) before beginning the next lunge?

I'm a tall guy (6' 4") and going straight into the next lunge feels really awkward....
Either. They are both different and good exercises. If your just starting lunges, do them so that you just go straight into the next lunge. When you get competent at them, try doing the other way, which requires a bit more of an explosive movement, which is always good. You need to push up faster to get back to the starting position and starting again from the 'standing' position creates the need for more deceleration and general control...

So, neither is better... If there is a best one, its the variation that you haven't been doing :smile:

KPj

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:36 pm

Manofsteel319 wrote:Will do I'll have to put buying that pipe and the tools to make it on my agenda. I'd do it.

Some people call me crazy I call me unique! lol
You won't need tools, really.

At most home centers they'll cut the pipe to length. Also buy 2 end caps and a can of PVC cement. You'll need a piece (a scrap will do) of very fine sand paper to clean about 2" of the pipe at each end. Then smear a coat of the cement evenly around the end, and slide/twist the cap into place. Try to slide it into place with one movement; if you stop for more than a moment it will stick where it is. I'd give it a couple of hours for the cement to dry on the first end before doing the second. Stand the pipe on end, get on your stepladder or whatever you need to reach the top of your massive long pipe, and pour the water in. Then put the cement around that end and put the second cap in place. Give it a little time to dry, and start lunging.

scs217
Novice
Novice

Post by scs217 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:58 pm

Do you think that adding something to prevent the water from getting nasty would be a good idea? Like a little bit of bleach or some lysol?

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:25 pm

I don't really think it matters much. It will be sealed, and will probably last for years. You won't see that water for a long time, if ever.

Manofsteel319

Post by Manofsteel319 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:29 am

Sweet I'll do that this weekend doc. I'll go to the home depot or some place close. My gf will think im nuts so will pretty much everyone else should be amazing though. Can't wait.

Manofsteel319

Post by Manofsteel319 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:22 pm

It is done. I made the slosh pipe and I like it a lot

Total cost about 45$ the pipe itself was a 10 foot long 4 inch in diameter pvc pipe that cost $17.76 the caps were 5.96 a piece and the primer and the cement brought the total up. I was surprised how much it cost but I'm gangster son. I can throw some dough around!!!! hahah yea right I'm as white as a white person...lol

Anyways I did it i made it and actually used the faucet in my k-word and my daughters sand bucket for the beach and filled it that way. It weighed a total of 42 lbs.

Then the test and trial. It's a slosh pipe for real it really freaking sloshes.

It's actually very light I can do walking lunges with it while holding it over my head the only hard part is stabalising yourself laterally. When it gooes from right to left you then sway or stagger almost drukennly and then one of my neighbors was like do you want me to have 911 on the line? I'm like ummm no this is a new training thing I'm doing... lol it's only filled with water. Then she said " What are you scottish or something?"

Long story short I did it that night for about 5 minutes and it kicked my butt. I can still own and do what I said I would it's just hard balance wise. Also it's hard on the shoulders because when it moves around you have to stabalize and you use your shoulders.

did lunges normal walking with the pipe on my shoulders and also did lunges with it on my shoulders and over head also walked and lunged with it cradled in the crook of my arms. Even harder like that.

I did it in 92 degree hot sunny weather for about 5 minutes and I was DRENCHED. I actually recorded myself doing it for literally 1 minute 48 seconds and when I watched myself I looked retarded but you can feel your core straining to maintain balance. I'll post the video on testosterone nation.com shortly.

Long story short walk the walk fellas it's worth it.