wrist injury

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

kunalbh
Rookie
Rookie

wrist injury

Post by kunalbh » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:26 pm

hi every one could ny one please help me with something im facing these days. ive been workin out since quite a long time by now am quite satisfied with the results, but its since the past month im facing a problem with my left wrist. its that whenever i lift up heavy weights i notice some kind of pain in my left wrist. i bunked the gym for a week thinking that would help but dint, yesterday had been to the gym for my chest/shoulders/triceps and could notice the pain again. ive been gyming from the past 3 years by now and never ever have noticed such a thing.

wat could be going wrong is it the grip or something else?
should i try using wrist bands would it help?
is there some exercise or some thing i can do about it
(im left handed if that may be useful)

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:08 am

I really would need more info. If your telling me it hurts, regardless of what you do in the gym, then go see a physio!

Did you hurt the wrist i.e. you were benching and your wrist bent way back, got sore, and has hurt every since?

Or has it just started to get sore for no apparent reason ?

If you 'just hurt it' then in my experience, it will more than likely be a sprain. If it's a sprain, a week isn't really enough time to let it heal... So it could just be a case of letting it get better. You should be able to find exercises that don't hurt it, most pulling exercises should be fine, but really, it depends what you've done.

If any exercises aggravate it, don't do them... You'll just make it worse.

KPj

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:54 am

Exactly what part of the wrist hurts? What kind of motions make it hurt?

Manofsteel319

Post by Manofsteel319 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:51 am

Wow.... I will strictly comment on the question.

It depends on how you hurt your wrists. I'm assuming you hurt it lifting with your legs since you mentioned the wrist straps. It may be a grip thing you may have sprained it. Which wrist is it? And what workout were you doing when you noticed it.

Sometimes pain while lifting is normal. There is a difference in pain and an injury though. You have to decide which. Let us know.

kunalbh
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kunalbh » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:11 am

hi everybody i really appreciate your suggestions. i really dont remember when i hurt my wrist but im sure that i realized it while doing bench press. may be its because of the grip. i asked my trainer about it he asked me to apply some onitment called NIZER applied it last night seems to be good. i think it must be a sprain only. what should be the exact form of your wrist while doing bench press should it exaacly be straight or a bit bent is ok??

scs217
Novice
Novice

Post by scs217 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:16 am

What I have read is that a straight wrist grip on bench press alleviates some stress on your triceps, thereby making them fatigue less. The difference is a few pounds on your bench or another rep or 2 in a set. See how it feels with your wrist; if it helps, then go for it. Seriously consider resting if the pain persists though.

kunalbh
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kunalbh » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:22 am

but is it that bench press is the only work out where you get the feel on your wrist. i mean i only can feel the pain in my left wrist while workin on my chest. however if i take care of the grip and dont jerk it much it doesnt hurt

KPj

Post by KPj » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:15 am

kunalbh wrote:hi everybody i really appreciate your suggestions. i really dont remember when i hurt my wrist but im sure that i realized it while doing bench press. may be its because of the grip. i asked my trainer about it he asked me to apply some onitment called NIZER applied it last night seems to be good. i think it must be a sprain only. what should be the exact form of your wrist while doing bench press should it exaacly be straight or a bit bent is ok??
Don't suppose you sleep on that elbow?

KPj

EDIT: I actually meant to post this in the 'elbow pain at full contraction' thread. But it's relevant anyway...
Last edited by KPj on Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:40 am

kunalbh wrote:but is it that bench press is the only work out where you get the feel on your wrist. i mean i only can feel the pain in my left wrist while workin on my chest. however if i take care of the grip and dont jerk it much it doesnt hurt
I'm not understanding very clearly.

I'd be glad to chip in a thought or two if you could be more specific as to the location of the pain. The wrist is a pretty complex joint--can you describe more what part of it you're feeling the pain in?

KPj

Post by KPj » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:43 am

Also, I come across people all the time with that kind of pain. I think it's mainly due to the abundance of elbow extension that is performed in your typical lifters program.

I always refer them to the following article, if not i just verbally recommend the stuff that's in it, and it seems to work really well,

13 tips to mighty elbows and wrists
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1270397

I've also got a friend who was a little over zealous one day on the bench. He unracked too quickly and lowered the weight too quickly and his wrist just 'went'. It hurt him for days, so he had to take some time off. With ice etc the pain started to subside but he couldn't press anything. His work out was almost exclusively rows and lower body lifting because this was all he could do pain free. Back squats caused pain too, so they couldn't be done (he front squats anyway).

Anyway, from my own experience I have used the following recommendation and they've worked great,

-The thick bar stuff (this makes a big difference if you have wrist pain and I highly recommend it)

-The High rep band work (specifically, this helps more with elbow pain, in my quite limited experience anyway. Increased blood flow will always help anyway. It's a 2minute thing every day, just do it and see what happens)

-Balancing elbow extension with flexion

-The wrist straps in the article, they are very good for heavy benching. I too have very skinny wrists and the wraps feel great.

-deloading, i just happen to deload anyway. Could be why my elbows and wrists never give me any problems....

-The wrist stretches in that article...

KPj