squat and deadlift in single routine?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, parth, stuward

Gantz
Apprentice
Apprentice

squat and deadlift in single routine?

Post by Gantz » Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:44 pm

i have a 2 day split workout, ABX with upper body/lower body. i'm thinking of doing just squats and deads for lower, 1 warmup set with 2 sets of 8-12 reps. would doing squats and deads both on the same day be a bad idea?

stuward

Post by stuward » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:15 pm

No it's not a bad idea but you should pick one to focus on. Do squats first while your back is fresh. One way to do it is front squats and deadlifts one workout, then back squats and Romanian deadlifts the next time.

Gantz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Gantz » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:32 pm

so basically back squats and straight-legged deadlifts put a lot of stress on my back, and front squats and romanian deads don't as much. is this correct? can i substitute the regular deads with ones where i bend my knees while picking up the bar from the ground?

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:01 pm

Regular deads are the one where you bend your knees. Straight-legged DLs are a variation of those.

The idea is essentially that you don't want two heavy exercises that put a large demand on your back - squats do that, so do deadlifts. So he's suggesting if you want to do both, mix in variations of them so you have one that's more quad dominant (front squats) with one more hip dominant (deadlifts) on one day, and then the same split (back squat, Romanian DL) on the next day.

Another option is the squat heavy, but do low-volume deadlifts. So if you're squatting 3 x 5, do deadlifts 1 x 5 at the end of the workout. They both make big demands on your lower back, but it's more likely your lower back will be tired at a bad moment if you DL first...if you squat first and your back is tired, you will just lift less on a DL. The other way around, you'll be squished under the bar.

Gantz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Gantz » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:21 pm

alright thanks. do you know any more variations of these two exercises that put less stress on the back?

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:29 pm

What's the point of doing them at all if you want to avoid ALL stress on the lower back? Your lower back needs stress in proper doses, and with proper recovery.

scs217
Novice
Novice

Post by scs217 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:24 pm

I hope you don't mean that you'll front squat and DL on day A then back squat and RDL on day B, that would be too much for your back by FAR. Workout A then the next workout A would be fine for alternating those exercises.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:34 pm

pdellorto wrote:Another option is the squat heavy, but do low-volume deadlifts.
I'm a natural deadlifter and a so-so squatter. So if I do both exercises in one workout, heavy deadlifts come first. Once my ego is stoked, knocking out a couple of moderate sets of squats is no problem. :wink: