Trap Bar v. Regular Barbell Deadlift

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:16 am

Rack pulls really work your upper back. Don't neglect your regular deadlift or Romanian deadlift. They work a different range of motion which you need to continue to work on.

amivan

Post by amivan » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:26 am

i do use alternate grip but it always throws off my form with DLs, i'll find myself angling to the underhand grip side so i prefer to use the regular overhand grip on deadlifts, i also feel it the most in the hamstrings when I use the overhand grips versus under/over

i always thought rack pulls were cheating but looking at some of its benefits according to that link, I may start finishing out my posterior chain workouts with a few sets of those.

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:45 am

aye i think what I'll try is rack pulls, building up to a romanian deadlift, then once I've done that for a bit I'll go for the regular deadlift.

the deadlift's the bane of my weightlifting existence, but I'll get it licked one day. Mark my words.

KPj

Post by KPj » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:00 am

lol - rack pulls are rack pulls, and a great exercise. It's hardly cheating if you purposely reduced ROM. For example, I would say that if you bench press until your upper arms are parallel to the floor and no more, than that's cheating. If you floor press, your not cheating, your floor pressing.

You need to look at rack pulls as a deadlift variation, other than an assisting exercise to the deadlift. It uses the same muscles as a full ROM deadlift, but the back is emphasised, as are the glutes, because you should be over loading the lock out portion of the lift in comparison to from the floor.

If all you do is conventional dead lift, then your never going to pull a lot of weight. Suppose it depends on what everyone defines as a lot of weight, but you'll only get so far from just dead lifting. You need to utilise other vatiations - if you pull conventional, then go sumo style for a while, try sumo rack pulls, snatch grip from floor, snatch grip rack pulls, SLDL variations, etc etc. When you revert back to conventional, you'll be stronger....

As for the alternate grip - maybe you just need to get used to it. I've never heard of any issues with it. Only caution is to switch sides each set to avoid any imbalances...

KPj

amivan

Post by amivan » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:37 am

KPj wrote:
As for the alternate grip - maybe you just need to get used to it. I've never heard of any issues with it. Only caution is to switch sides each set to avoid any imbalances...

KPj
well thats probably why, when i was in high school i didnt realize that and for at least a year i would do deadlifts with underhand grip on the right and overhand on the left.. probably led to some imbalance

KPj

Post by KPj » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:03 pm

Normally, for your heaviest sets anyway, your 'overhand' will be your strongest hand.

Give it a go over a few sessions and see how it feels. It will take your limiting factor (your grip) straight out of the equation.

There's always varying opinions but I like to hold on to it with the double overhand for as long as I can, without completely zapping my grip strength. So when warming up to my working sets I will use double overhand grip, when it about a 5 rep max, i'll switch to alternate, using the weak side as the overhand.. then when i get to 3 rep max and under, stronger side becomes over hand. When I start climbing back down on the weight, I switch overhand to my weak side again.

Sounds complicated, but really you just make sure both sides are getting equal reps

KPj