pull-ups vs pull-downs and Arnold

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, parth, stuward

sickboy
Novice
Novice

pull-ups vs pull-downs and Arnold

Post by sickboy » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:19 pm

I have been trying to get ready for pull ups for a while. I can only do 3-4 in a row. I complement them with pull-downs. I know most people favors pull ups over pull downs, if they can do them. I had this same discussion with a friend, which has been weight training for years. He can clearly do pull-ups with ease, but he has chosen not to do so. He claims that pull-downs are as effective as pull-ups, and he added "Arnold never did pull-ups, watch pumping iron, he only did pull-downs"

Is this true? It's almost impossible to believe, or is it possible that pull-downs are as effective?

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:21 pm

Read "The Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding." Lots of pictures of Arnold doing pullups with various grips, and it includes the recommendation to set a high-rep number (like 50 or 100) and do them in as few sets as possible.

Arnold loved pullups. He may have been doing pulldowns in Pumping Iron but he also did pullups if you believe everything else he wrote, er, co-wrote.

sickboy
Novice
Novice

Post by sickboy » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:23 pm

Thanks...I knew someone of you guys would have the come back to this guy... He is just lazy, I got him this time :twisted: !

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:31 pm

I think you need to ignore the "do behind the neck pullups to widen the sweep of the lats" portion of the advice, but yeah, Arnold's books have pullups in there. It was "Encyclopedia" that made me start thinking I needed to do more of them.

Mind you Arnold seems to have done both pulldowns and pullups, and I only do pullups, so I might be biased. But only pulldowns? Nah, there is photographic proof in the book.

work of art
n00b
n00b

Post by work of art » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:47 pm

I love doing pull-ups,my back development went through the roof when i began doing them.Pulldowns can give you a great contraction but they in no way come close to pulling your body vertically into space.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:36 am

Video time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0CV6EYMDbE

Arnold knocks off a few quick pullups.

sickboy
Novice
Novice

Post by sickboy » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:00 am

Peter,

Thanks again mate! Now there is enough evidence... ha! I got him this time. He also claims that deep squats are bad for me... go figure.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:03 am

pdellorto wrote:Read "The Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding." Lots of pictures of Arnold doing pullups with various grips, and it includes the recommendation to set a high-rep number (like 50 or 100) and do them in as few sets as possible.

Arnold loved pullups. He may have been doing pulldowns in Pumping Iron but he also did pullups if you believe everything else he wrote, er, co-wrote.
Franco Columbu, Arnold's best friend and workout partner during Arnold's Bodybuilding days, was a pullup maniac. And he had the back to prove it. Columbu did one-armed pull-ups for reps. I could only wish :wink:

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:51 am

You have to remember something. They took the 1000+ hours of footage for pumping iron and condensed it into 1 1/2 hours.