It's summer

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

Oniw17
Rookie
Rookie

It's summer

Post by Oniw17 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:34 pm

It's kind of a long story, but it ends with me having a small fracture in my ulna. The doctor said that I can't put too much stress on it for two weeks(I wouldn't have went to the doctor, but my hand went numb doing cleans, and I wanted to see if I could continue working out). I swam for about two hours today and I was fine, and I can jumprope without any pain also, but this is kind of going to mess up the exercising schedule. Should I just use the next two weeks for core and cardio(what do people normally do in this situation?)?

TheHeb
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by TheHeb » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:07 pm

I'm not medically qualified to recommend anything really, but if it hurts I would just take a couple weeks off. Let it heal, so it doesn't nag you for months.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:50 pm

I always do what the doctor tells me. If I'm told to take it easy on it for a couple weeks, that's what I do. Weight training would NOT be taking it easy. I would stick to things that don't involve the injured part.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:36 pm

I never listen to my doctors, but even I lay off on fractures. Let it heal. It'll be easier to come back after a layoff than it will be to come back after an improperly-healed fracture.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:46 pm

Ironman wrote:I always do what the doctor tells me.
I'm glad to hear it. Not sure I believe it, but I appreciate the sentiment.
pdellorto wrote:I never listen to my doctors....
I'm really hurt on behalf of doctors everywhere. :lol:
Oniw17 wrote:...but this is kind of going to mess up the exercising schedule.
Not really. Yeah, use it for recovery, core, cardio, take a friend out to dinner, read a book, go to a museum. All those things are good for you!

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:13 pm

Ok, Doc, you got me. My doctor gave me some really crappy diet advice which I totally ignored. But other than that I do.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:37 pm

Okay, I sometimes listen. But I tend to listen to my body more. If I listened to my current doctor, I wouldn't have started to lift after I got out of the hospital until the end of May, two months after I was able to start. I was matching my old PRs in squats and DLs before he was willing to clear me for "light jogging."

But yeah, you do need to be careful and take the advice seriously. I ignored my doctor on lifting, but when he says "No contact" on my broken facial bones, I didn't allow any contact. He said "Keep the bandages on 24/7 until I say otherwise" and I've done that.

I'm aggressive in my own rehab, usually far more than the doctors are willing to allow for, but I treat breaks and muscle tears with utter seriousness and care. I didn't do this as much when I was younger, I'd ignore strains and pains, and NOW I'm paying for that. It's one thing to push your rehab hard, it's another to set yourself back. If you actually listen to your body you can easily tell the difference.

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:39 pm

Ok, Doc, you got me. My doctor gave me some really crappy diet advice which I totally ignored. But other than that I do.
Doctors and media are the ones who fill people will conventional wisdom (sodium evil, fat bad and causes weightgain, low-fat diets) which then these people pass it on to other people. I didn't like my last doctor she decided to fill my ears with horror stories of kids she knew taking creatine. These days I wish I could go back, and ask to see the papers which show a direct correlation between creatine and kidney damage (but they don't exist).

My ex phys teacher disagrees with the low carb notion and preferred a general reduction in calories without disrupting the caloric ratio. But thats still not as good as low carb since low carb will more dramtically affect cholesterol and such and increases insulin sensitivity. Just a side note.

Ahh me and my rambling.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:47 am

That's why you don't go to doctors. They screw your life up. Besides, what do you call an incompetent doctor?

Jungle, I'm sure you are the exception to the rule :wink:

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: It's summer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:06 am

Oniw17 wrote: Should I just use the next two weeks for core and cardio(what do people normally do in this situation?)?
Yes, you should. If you extend your injury you won't be able to llift for a lot longer than two weeks. Is it really worth taking the chance?

Two weeks isn't that much time. Three days of the fourteen have already gone by since you posted your message. You won't shrink if you don't lift for two weeks. I promise. :wink:

amivan

Post by amivan » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:13 pm

its true, it takes you twice as long to return to base as it took you to get away from it, so in two weeks worth of rest you'll be 1 week back practically (not true for CVE)

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:09 am

hoosegow wrote:That's why you don't go to doctors. They screw your life up. Besides, what do you call an incompetent doctor?

Jungle, I'm sure you are the exception to the rule :wink:
Gee, thanks. :roll:

Oniw17
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Oniw17 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:01 pm

I went to see an orthopedic doctor the other day and he said that the fracture is healed, but the muscles around my wrist are really tense and refuse to relax, no matter how much I stretch or use them, and it's just a little painful. Is there any magical cure for tense muscles?

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:04 pm

What did the orthopedist say about treating them?

Oniw17
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Oniw17 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:29 pm

Jungledoc wrote:What did the orthopedist say about treating them?
He said that the stiffness would go away in a few days, and it was from wearing the splint.