Simple, Functional, Power Exercises?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

RogerWilson
former lurker

Simple, Functional, Power Exercises?

Post by RogerWilson » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:09 pm

I've been working out regularly for about 6 months. I've gotten great advice from the ExRx website and these forums. I normally do a push/pull routine where I do cardio two or three days a week for 30 min and then on the alternating days do either a push/pull for two to three days a week.

I don't care about raw numbers. My goal is to be strong because it makes my job a lot easier. The work I do is prone to a lot of back and shoulder injuries. Things that are career enders for a lot of people.

I've started to look into some other alternatives to the isolated strength exercises. Yeah, things like the bench press does a good job of building pec strength, but that in and of itself isn't going to do a lot for me.

What I want to do is find some good, compound type exercises that are just good, hardcore, old fashioned strongman type exercises. Things like the farmer carry, dead lift etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look?

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:21 pm

Pullups or Chinups. Deadlifts. Squats. Overhead/Military/Push Press. And yeah of course, bench press. Isolation usually is not going to = strength, especially 6 months into a program. There are some tagged routines for strength on the top of this forum, pick one and stick to it.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:47 pm

Bryce Lane's home page is full of that old fashioned strongman stuff.
http:// www.ironsports.tv
He has a forum too. Should be linked from his home page. Lots of stuff with barrels, kegs, 1 and 2 arm O lifting with BBs and DB's.
Tim

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:11 pm

Hard physical labor requires a lot of leg, hip and back strength. The deadlift is probably the best single exercise that you can do to address these areas. Deadlifts also develop the lower back and one's grip - two weak links for most people.

Weak abdoninals - particularly when accompanied with a potbelly - are another problem area. But the abs (and lower back) are trained isometrically by squats, deadlifts and overhead presses (military and push). Overhead presses are also good for developing shoulder strength.

Thoise are my thoughts just off the top of my head. Some of the other posters might put together a routine for you.

TimD

Post by TimD » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:21 pm

I was assuming the OP was looking for a source of information more than a routine.
Tim

leanmuscle13
Novice
Novice

Post by leanmuscle13 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:18 pm

This thread has been very informative. I primarily strength train due to the line of work that I'm in. In all of the literature that I have read indicates that compound exercises are superior for building overall strength as opposed to isolation exercises. One exercise that people do not mention often is the Power Clean. I love them because they help build both strength and endurance. In my line of work we often times have to restrain out of control individuals so along with practicing technique for what I do I also strength train.

WSUdj_ExMet
Rookie
Rookie

Different Approach...

Post by WSUdj_ExMet » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:53 am

Have you thought about supplementing to your strength training with some functional training? Functional training may seem like a waste to most bodybuilders, but if your goal is to increase strength, flexibility, burn fat and keep injury free... FUNCTIONAL TRAINING is your friend.

You can youtube search functional training to get some great demos
OR
at expertvillage.com search functional training for some great resources from highly dignified Personal Trainers.

I could go off for a while about functional training, but in short
-it increases coordination to muscles producing strength increases in the gym
-trains the joints, reducing injury susceptibility

anyways, yeah just a different approach.

WSUdj_ExMet
Rookie
Rookie

Post by WSUdj_ExMet » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:58 am

leanmuscle13 wrote:One exercise that people do not mention often is the Power Clean. I love them because they help build both strength and endurance.
I love power cleans completely, but they have nothing to do with muscular endurance... Possibly at high reps (where it ceases to become a power movement), but the exercise strictly just trains powerful contractions made within a time > 20 seconds.

TimD

Post by TimD » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:27 am

Leanmuscle, with the addititives of what you're looking to improve, check outrossfit.com and also coach ruts blogspot at http://coachrut.blogspot.com
these 2 sites should be right up you're alley.
Tim

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:14 pm

Some good strongman link I've got bookmarked:

Joe DeFranco on strongman for athletes
http://www.defrancostraining.com/articl ... ongman.htm

A strongman training split:
http://www.nlpbodybuilding.com/strongman-training.html

Everything on this site:
http://www.ontariostrongman.ca/
especially
http://www.ontariostrongman.ca/Resource ... ining.html

I love strongman training. It's just fun. More like "playing with stuff" than working out, really.

Plus I've mentioned many times before - when I take out my tire-dragging rig here in Japan, my main problem is convincing the neighborhood kids not to "help" me by pushing the tire, and getting them to wait their turn until my sets of drags are over before they can play with it. If I had barbells, they'd be less interested. Dragging tires? I had that rig out for 5 minutes the first time and kids starting jumping on them to go for a ride.

leanmuscle13
Novice
Novice

Post by leanmuscle13 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:36 pm

Thanks for the responses everybody, I'll adjust my training accordingly.

KPj

Re: Different Approach...

Post by KPj » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:42 am

WSUdj_ExMet wrote:Have you thought about supplementing to your strength training with some functional training? Functional training may seem like a waste to most bodybuilders, but if your goal is to increase strength, flexibility, burn fat and keep injury free... FUNCTIONAL TRAINING is your friend.
Strength training can be functional, if you train smart. Especially if the OP is just looking to get stronger, as opposed to competing in PL or something. But still, functional training is really just training smart...

But then again, we all have different definitions of it.

KPj

WSUdj_ExMet
Rookie
Rookie

Post by WSUdj_ExMet » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:01 pm

KPj wrote:
WSUdj_ExMet wrote:Have you thought about supplementing to your strength training with some functional training? Functional training may seem like a waste to most bodybuilders, but if your goal is to increase strength, flexibility, burn fat and keep injury free... FUNCTIONAL TRAINING is your friend.
Strength training can be functional, if you train smart.
KPj
This is true. Some people's way to train "smart" is doing ridiculous exercises. The key is really just education, not the education you get through word of mouth though.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:00 pm

Wazzu:
WSUdj_ExMet wrote:Some people's way to train "smart" is doing ridiculous exercises.
Examples of "ridiculous exercises"?

Andy (an old Husky)

WSUdj_ExMet
Rookie
Rookie

perfect example

Post by WSUdj_ExMet » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:11 pm

Here's an example:

Doing the good morning exercise @ 150% of 1Rep Max (also been called good nights)

Does anyone on here remember guidoandluigi.com?