Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Re: perfect example

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:35 am

WSUdj_ExMet wrote:Here's an example:

Doing the good morning exercise @ 150% of 1Rep Max (also been called good nights)
Doing any exercise with 150% of 1RM could be called "Good Nights." Even if performed as an eccentric.

Good mornings are an excellent lower back exercise. They are quite similar to hyperextensions/back raises.

Using HEAVY loads with 1-5 repetitions is a great way of increasing one's lower back strength.

Good mornings are a staple exercise for most powerlifters due to the effectiveness of developing lower back strength fo the deadlift and squat.

Kenny Croxdale

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Re: Different Approach...

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:25 am

I could go off for a while about functional training
Well, let me expound on "functional training." Here is an over used, misunderstood, hyped term in the general populas.

For them the term,"functional traiing" means performing some exercise on some type of unstable surface. That does not appear to be what you were talking about in your post.

Training on an unstabel surface is NOT very fuctional. Very few situstions in "functional" every day life will place the majority of indivuduals in this situation.

Only a few idiots would stand on a chair with wheels on it and change a light bulb. If you change light bulbs that way, then train on a chair with wheels on it. The "Law of Specificity" in training.

Also, "Unless you're training to be part of the circus...these foo-foo pieces of equipment have no place in a healthy individual's training program." Training Disasters by Tony Gentilcore http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do; ... id=1785278

Tudor Bompa stated at a NSCA National Conference, "Tudor said that balance training is only good for women's gymnastics, and even they don't use all this gimmicky equipment. Instead, they train for balance on the apparatus itself." http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=462024

A squat is a functioonal exercise. It increased strength in the primary and stabilizer mucle groups. Thus, enabling one to sit and get up off the tolit, a chair or the sofa. Now that an important "fuctional" movement.

As Tim noted, Cross Fit has some great functional exericses...exercise that relate to what we all do in life.

Kettlebell programs are quite functional. The question is, "What don't they work?"

Also, Cross Fit and Kettlebell training is brutal. In discussing kettlebell training with someone once they told me the could have me puking in 10 minutes.

I replied, "I DON'T think so. It would only take 5 minutes."

Kenny Croxdale

WSUdj_ExMet
Rookie
Rookie

Re: perfect example

Post by WSUdj_ExMet » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:36 am

Kenny Croxdale wrote: Doing any exercise with 150% of 1RM could be called "Good Nights." Even if performed as an eccentric.

Good mornings are an excellent lower back exercise. They are quite similar to hyperextensions/back raises.

Using HEAVY loads with 1-5 repetitions is a great way of increasing one's lower back strength.
Kenny Croxdale
That was supposed to be a joke lol.... the joke being if anyone ever did 150% on good mornings their head would be pummeled into the ground!
Guidoandluigi.com was an online comic strip that would develop jokes on weight room etiquette and fitness.

Also the term Functional Training means much more than just training on an unstable surface.

Chris_A
Associate Member
Associate Member

Re: Different Approach...

Post by Chris_A » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:29 pm

Kenny Croxdale wrote:Also, Cross Fit and Kettlebell training is brutal. In discussing kettlebell training with someone once they told me the could have me puking in 10 minu
Last week, Stronglifts took a look at CrossFit and how you might be able to use it in a 5x5 strength program. First he discussed what he liked about CrossFit and then what he didn’t like. One of the things he didn’t like was:
Crossfit also seems to think that puking is normal/hardcore.
I thought he might be joking, but I guess he was serious.

Edited to add the link to the Stronglifts article.
Last edited by Chris_A on Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:13 pm

Chris, I think those guys use the idea of puking like Stephen Crane's "The Red Badge of Courage". I like Crossfit, the principles, but thin they don't invest enough in Maximal Strength. A lot of others feel the same way, and the idea of mixing one lift a day, ME (max effort) Blackbox and 5X5 comes out a lot. Coach Rut has a template out there outlineing mixing up cossfit with ME days, and even has an example of 3 months worth starting in Jan 01 over on his blog at
http://coachrut.blogspot.com
Tim

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:03 pm

Training at 100% intensity is strongly admired in the Crossfit (CF) community. There are those who don't workout until they puke, but generally, it's seem as a red badge of courage like TimD suggested. "Pukie the Clown" is a "mascot" of sorts.

I can see the good and bad of it. The bad is that vomiting is not a good thing - bad for your teeth, bad for your diet...it's the body telling you in no uncertain terms you went too far. It sure as hell isn't anabolic, is it?
On the other hand, if you're trying to train for the "puke periphery" you will certainly be pushing hard.

I do think it's funny, because most CFers would categorically reject any Arnold advice, but he glorifies puking in the gym in Pumping Iron!

FWIW, I push but stop short of it. I think puking is a bad thing. I also have asthma, and I can't accept the idea that pushing until you puke is fine when I know if I push too hard I can trigger an asthma attack...that's never going to help me. I figure it's better to train hard but short of puking, asthma attack, failure, and just monitor my gains. If I do workout X in Y minutes and then a month later it's Y-2 minutes, I've improved...if my DL max goes up 5kg, I've improved. No need to measure it by how much I puked.

To followup further, there is a thread on the Performance Menu boards about hybrid programming - gynmastics + ME lifting + short metcons - as a way to replicate or exceed CF at the same game. But even there, the original poster says the goal on metcons is to "Jimi Hendrix yourself" - push until you've collapsed or puked, as I parse that.

TimD

Post by TimD » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:15 am

Mod's note-the thread by Pete on hybrid programming has been saved in "Good Enough To Keep". It's an easy find
Tim