weird question regarding pain in my hand...

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

tyler

weird question regarding pain in my hand...

Post by tyler » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:38 pm

Ok...so this has sort of been an ongoing problem for a little while, and lately its been getting worse. About 5 years ago I started to notice pain in what I first thought was my wrist. It was so hard to describe to anyone that I just assumed it was wrist pain that was aggravated by doing certain activites. But lately I don't think its my wrist. I think it is literally in my hand, but to narrow it down even further than that, it is the area where if you took the base of where the thumb meets the palm and circled around the area say, an inch and a half, that is where the pain is. It is a weird pain...a sharp, stabbing pain, and it is made worse by the weirdest of things. The most noticable activity that aggravates it is bowling- who would have thought one could injure themselves bowling. It is a pain that affects grip, but it is different than being a sore, or achy. It doesn't hurt unless I move it in a certain way, and pushing down on the area only hurts if I do it really hard. But, another activity is holding the wheel in my car for an extended period of time in one position (my old car needed an alignment like you wouldnt believe, and to keep it from running off the road I had to hold the wheel in a certain angle). The next day my thumb-palm area hurt like crazy. But today I noticed just holding a book made it just as bad. Any ideas?! LOL

tyler

Post by tyler » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:42 pm

Oh...and some weight related info...it sounds weird, but doing free weight exercises, like benches for example, really inflame the pain. When done on a smithy machine, the pain is not bad at all. Also deadlifts hurt it, as do dips and pullups and rows and the like. But the worst is free weight benches.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:17 am

You might ask your doctor what he or she thinks. There are several pretty well-defined tendonitis syndromes involving the base of the thumb. It might not be mysterious.

You also might just try stopping the things that cause the pain for a couple of weeks, and resume with less intensity and gradually build back up.

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:28 am

You really need to have it looked at. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is more common than you think. This is probably due to more people spending too much time on the computer. I'm not saying this is what you have but it's possible and unless addressed it can get worse and it's potentially disabling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpal_tunnel_syndrome

ellerbus
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ellerbus » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:50 am

I had a similar "weird" pain in my thumb. I'm on the computer 40+ hours a week (software programmer). I had a pain in my left thumb that was caused by me holding my thumb above my laptop's touch pad when I was typing (hate to type and all of a sudden the mouse flies across the screen). Anyways, the pain got incredibly intense if I held my left forearm parallel to the ground and twisted my hand outward (inward the pain went away). Luckily, my doctor didn't say the typical "Well don't twist that way have a nice day".

It was a syndrome with my the tendon that went from my elbow to my thumb. I know how to say it, but I have no idea how to spell it ...

De-kio-vanny Syndrome

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:10 am

De Quervain's

Yep, that's one of them. And yes, Stu, CTS is a good thought, although people usually complain of the numbness in the palm more than pain. I also wondered about "Game Keeper's Thumb" though honestly mostly because I like the name.

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:23 am

I found this just before I read Doc's post. He beat me to it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeQuervain's_syndrome

I like the colourful names these type of injuries have. This one is known as "washerwoman's sprain".

tyler

Post by tyler » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:55 pm

Both of these syndromes sound promising...with more of De Quervain's than Carpal...but neither hit it dead on. I guess soon enough, I will have to visit a health care profession :neu:

amivan

Post by amivan » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:14 am

Jungledoc wrote:De Quervain's

Yep, that's one of them. And yes, Stu, CTS is a good thought, although people usually complain of the numbness in the palm more than pain. I also wondered about "Game Keeper's Thumb" though honestly mostly because I like the name.
be careful about CTS, it is the likeliest but it's often overdiagnosed and people receive surgeries that arent necessary, you dont want to find out afterwards that it wasn't CTS. make sure your doctors sure.

PS

the area you're talking about is cutely nicknamed the "snuff box" for... reasons only the 80s can explain.

PS PS

the easiest way to check for DQs is by making a fist with your hand and then tucking your thumb inside the fist (this is all in the same hand :-p ) then flex your wrist down (bringing the pinky closer to the forearm). How's that feel? If it's painful as hell then theres a high likelihood its DQ.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:08 am

amivan wrote: the area you're talking about is cutely nicknamed the "snuff box" for... reasons only the 80s can explain.
Aaah...

the 1880s? Maybe 1780s. Certainly long before the 1980s.

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:02 am

You're right, the stuff that was snorted in the 1980's certainly wasn't snuff.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:19 am

Speaking of snuff, I dip Copenhagen. Here in the US it's called snuff. You take apinch,and putitinbetween your upper lip and teeth. its not the dry powder snuff you find elsewhere. A fewdays ago,a guy saw my can and asked if he could try some. I said sure, and the idiot snorted it. Man, did his face get all red, and tears poured down his face. Bet he'll never do that again.
Tim

Chris_A
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Chris_A » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:38 am

TimD wrote:A fewdays ago,a guy saw my can and asked if he could try some. I said sure, and the idiot snorted it.
Holy &*#%!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd pay to have seen that!

tyler

Post by tyler » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:49 pm

LOL...what's the difference between dip and snuff? Personally...I'd rather just smoke :green:

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:16 pm

tyler wrote:LOL...what's the difference between dip and snuff? Personally...I'd rather just smoke :green:
It's the same but in Europe, snuff is powdered and you sniff it.