Novice

Progression question

Post by Mr_Schneebly » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:55 am

Hi everyone

I'm doing a 3 day a week routine:

Day 1: Chest and triceps
Day 3: Back and biceps
Day 5: Legs and shoulders

The question I have is - is it neccessary to add weight every time I do the routine to be making progress? I ask because the last time I did bench presses I managed 45kg for 12 reps, then 12, then dropped to 41.5 for 9 reps. This time I did 45kg for 12 reps, then 12 reps, then dropped to 42 for 9 reps. Does that count as ok progress? If I'm having to drop the weight for my final set, does that mean I'm starting too heavy?

Any general tips on progression very welcome!!

Mr_Schneebly
Novice
Novice

Post by Mr_Schneebly » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:25 pm

Just been speaking to my friend who says that she stays on a certain weight for an exercise until she can do 3 sets of 10 reps with perfect form before she increases the weight. Is that a method I could use? Would I still get increases in size doing it that way?

stuward

Post by stuward » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:28 pm

If you can increase the number of reps you do at a given weight that's progress. You can also progress with the number of sets or reducing rest between sets.

Mr_Schneebly
Novice
Novice

Post by Mr_Schneebly » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:32 pm

stuward wrote:If you can increase the number of reps you do at a given weight that's progress. You can also progress with the number of sets or reducing rest between sets.
Excellent! Thanks :)

So if I wait until I can do 3 sets of 10 perfect reps before increasing the weight for each exercise, I'll still be adding size? (In tandem with the correct nutrition of course)

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:54 pm

Yes, rep ranges of 8-12 are generally ideal for adding muscle mass, while lower reps (5 or less) are better for strength and power.