Should you work muscles that are really sore?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

Helena115
Apprentice
Apprentice

Should you work muscles that are really sore?

Post by Helena115 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:49 am

This might be a really dumb question, but is it bad to work out muscles that are really sore from a work-out session two days ago?

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:54 am

There are no dumb questions, just dumb people. :lol:

It's ok to work them. But at some point they need to recover. If you are new to this, you are just going to be sore all the time for a few weeks. It will get better though.

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:00 am

Ibuprofen before the workout heps.

Helena115
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Helena115 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:17 am

The actual soreness doesn't bother me - I was just curious if it'll break down rather than build a muscle that's already sore.

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:38 am

Training in general will break down muscle and the rebuilding is done during recovery. It really depends on how intensely you're training. If you are new to lifting, you can't really train intensely enough to be concerned. 2 days is adequate time to start training again. You can train frequently and as Ironman said, you will adapt and it will get better. After a while (several months, maybe years), you will need to take longer to recover, but soreness isn't really a very good measure of recovery. You are really looking for the point at which you are strongest. That may be sooner or later than when the soreness subsides.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:33 am

What I and others have done is this: yes, work them, however drop the weight down drastically (maybe 50 percent or maybe more) from your original workout weight and put them through their paces with that. Helps reduce the DOMS in kind of an active rest way.
Tim

AWeightLifter
n00b
n00b

Sore Muscles

Post by AWeightLifter » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:36 am

Just something to add...

The book that came with my dad's weight machine said to never lift with sore muscles.

Im sure that this would be the conservative approach.

Just use good judgment ... avoid long term injury.

Above information seems correct.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:55 am

I lift with sore muscles quite a lot. I find most of the pain and stiffness is gone by the time my warm up is finished though.

This is because I use an upper lower split. One of the reasons I use this split is because sometimes I need to train 2 days in a row. So, as an example, if I do lower body on Monday, and I dead lift, then I can pretty much be certain that going into my upper body day on Tuesday, my whole back will be experienceing DOMS. Incidentally, this only happens in the first week of my programs - when i'm doing something different. Normally, I get all the DOMS out of the way in week 1...

KPj