Getting in shape

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

CoreAlex
Rookie
Rookie

Getting in shape

Post by CoreAlex » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:11 pm

hey guys im getting ready for season and i was wondering can i run a lot during lifting days . I already run 1 mil before lifting to get my muscles warmed up but i was wondering if its a good idea to run a few miles and a few sprints after my workouts. My goal is to get a lot of stamina and a lot of strength improvement before wrestling starts and i wanna know if this is a good idea or not

Gantz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Gantz » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:31 pm

how often do you plan to lift and what kind of workouts do you do?

Rik-Blades
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Rik-Blades » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:44 am

In my opinion, no, it's not a good idea.

You will be in serious danger of overtrainning, and actually lose strength and stamina.

Run on your non-lifting day's, and make sure you get a couple of rest day's per week. You get stronger and repair when you rest. This is just as important as the lifting.

Rik

drummaniac
Rookie
Rookie

Post by drummaniac » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:03 am

I'm with Rik on this one. Basically you have to decide which is more important for wrestling, stamina or strength.

I wouldn't run before a workout especially a mile because you're using a lot of your energy that way. For a warm up for lifting just to light weight with more reps as a warm up. going for a light jog after a work out is a good idea though cause it keeps your blood pumping and will help u cool down. I've read numerous times that jog after a workout is better than sitting and doing nothing but a few miles or sprints would be over doing it.

Sp really i'd say train stamina for a little while then train for strength cause those two things don't really go hand in hand if you want serious gains in both.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: Getting in shape

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:06 am

CoreAlex wrote:hey guys im getting ready for season and i was wondering can i run a lot during lifting days . I already run 1 mil before lifting to get my muscles warmed up but i was wondering if its a good idea to run a few miles and a few sprints after my workouts. My goal is to get a lot of stamina and a lot of strength improvement before wrestling starts and i wanna know if this is a good idea or not
Running before your workout will compromise your lifting if you're lifting to gain strength. And the stamina that you get from running are in the legs and lungs, not the upper body.

Running is the most effective form of cardio and as such, it neutralizes muscle growth more. Excess weight, especially on the upper body makes running harder. The more you run, the more your body will try to rid itself of excess weight.

Sprinting during nonlifting days would make more sense than endurance running. The demands of sprinting on your cardio system are closer to the demands that wrestling puts on it than are the cardio demands of endurance running.