Shrug Hints and Tips

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

lightningsix
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by lightningsix » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:51 am

When I do shrugs I usually use something around 40lb dumbbells in each hand. Hold at the top of the shrug for 3seconds, pinch my shoulders back for another 3seconds and then drop as low enough to feel them stretch and repeat.

just my 2cents

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:39 pm

When I do shrugs I usually use something around 40lb dumbbells in each hand. Hold at the top of the shrug for 3seconds, pinch my shoulders back for another 3seconds and then drop as low enough to feel them stretch and repeat.
Thats worthless unless you have traps comparable to the strength of a 4 year old girl.

lightningsix
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by lightningsix » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:51 pm

ironmaiden708 wrote:
Thats worthless unless you have traps comparable to the strength of a 4 year old girl.
what do you mean?

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:52 pm

He means use heavier weights.

lightningsix
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by lightningsix » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:54 pm

stuward wrote:He means use heavier weights.
Oh.
I try but with reps going past 8-10 it gets really hard holding the grip.
Maybe I should do shrugs on the smith machine instead?

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:03 pm

If grip is a problem, get some straps. Dumbbells work better than a smith machine. A barbell works good too. Are you doing deadlifts? Doing deadlifts will improve your strength all over, but will help your traps directly.

Also, rather than doing the long holds and pinching, etc, do them like this: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Tra ... Shrug.html
"Bottom line: It's only necessary to raise and lower the shoulders during shrugs."

Rik-Blades
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Rik-Blades » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:29 pm

According to his (lightningsix) journal:

http://exrx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5097&start=0

He does deadlift, but 110 lbs only. This seems very light for 3 years lifting!?

I know this isn't what this thread is about, but are you limited all round by your grip? I would look into that if you intend to progress.

lightningsix
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by lightningsix » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:39 pm

Yeah my DL is lacking because I'm having to use dumbbells which don't feel as stable as a barbell. Other than the dumbbells I only have the smith machine to do DL's which are not great for form.

Also, I have never included DL's into my workouts until I started my journal. On the same note.... I never squatted either for the entire 3 years, I know I know, very stupid and I agree; However, since I added squatting my legs have been growing like weeds it's really amazing.

I've been saving to invest in a barbell and plates so DL's will soon raise in coming weeks/months.

As far as straps... I'll have to look into it. It definitely sounds beneficial.