Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

mkwilliams
n00b
n00b

Deadlift injury info

Post by mkwilliams » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:08 pm

Hey everyone,

Thanks in advance for your time and repsonse(s)!

I made great gains in my deadlift. I have been doing it with great consistency for about 8 months. I've used this site and YouTube and various reading material to focus on form. I've been told that I have great form. (I trust these guys; we look out for each other's health). I think that this recent injury is related to weakness/too much weight.

Last week during deadlift when placed the bar on the ground, when i let go i felt a tightness and pain in my right side rib cage/lat (mostly in back and side). I only felt the pain after each set upon opening my grip from the bar. It was subtle the rest of the week. Didnt take any pain meds.

Deadlifted today, after week of rest. Pain was noticable in early sets but not bad. Last set, pain stayed, got worse upon trunk motions and laughing or coughing or deep breathing. Now, 4 hours out of gym, pain is mostly positional. So its not there unless provoked.

I feel like it is an injured lat muscle? I need some advice on rehab? (i.e. severity, healing, ice/heat, rest (how long), can I/should I stay out of gym etc....) and about the cause, the thing or things to do to avoid it, does it sound typical to a form injury?

Thanks again

Mike

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:47 pm

Well, there is a Doctor that frequents this board, and he might be able to give you some opinions, but quite frankly, no one can physically see you to diagnose you. My question, is why haven't you gone to a physician to get diagnosed?
Tim

mkwilliams
n00b
n00b

happened 6 hours ago....

Post by mkwilliams » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:22 pm

Headed to physician Friday, thanks. happened this morning at the gym. I was not looking for a online diagnosis, it just hurt so I was thinking about it while sitting at my desk, couldnt get to doc today, thought I'd swing by and see what I could find on the topic here. Posted message, hope its no big deal?

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: happened 6 hours ago....

Post by Stephen Johnson » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:37 pm

mkwilliams wrote:Headed to physician Friday, thanks. happened this morning at the gym. I was not looking for a online diagnosis, it just hurt so I was thinking about it while sitting at my desk, couldnt get to doc today, thought I'd swing by and see what I could find on the topic here. Posted message, hope its no big deal?
No big deal. I'm sure the concern is more for your health than for a rule that you think you may have broken. Hope everything turns out OK, I'm sure that it will.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:12 pm

Well, while I agree with what Tim said about getting the diagnoses, one thing that comes to mind is that you may have pulled an intercostal muscle. Those are the short fibers that connect the ribs (think spare ribs!). The pain on coughing or laughing suggests irritation of the chest wall, which can happen with intercostal muscle strains, costochondral joint sprains, inflamation of the pleura (the membrane that lines the chest cavity, or I suppose that it may happen with inflamation at the point the external obliques attach to the lower ribs.

Let us know what the doctor says, and what kind of doctor you're seeing. Good luck.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:40 am

Hey, MK! How are you doing?

amivan

Post by amivan » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:10 pm

Does it hurt the most in the morning?

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:24 am

Does it still hurt at all?