how to get rid of 'man boobs'

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:39 pm

No one gets made fun of, unless you walk around in a ridiculously tight shirt or have a weight belt on through the entire workout ;)

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:04 pm

The bad thing is, if you have some serious boobs, it is probably genetic. They may not go away 100% until you get your bodyfat is pretty low. If you have loose skin from being obese, this compounds the problem.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:18 am

Well he can wear a shirt to the gym, a loose one, perhaps. It doesn't have to be in a gym--it could be in a home exercise room. The point is that resistance work is important to achieving his goal, wherever it is done. And the OP clearly has ideas of spot loss. Most people think that spot loss requires less work and commitment than losing fat from the whole body. I think Brook's response was spot-on.

Rik-Blades
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Rik-Blades » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:09 am

:lol: okay, okay

Let me put what I said in context.

It's not that I disagree with brook (sorry brook, I didn't mean to yank your chain) but he highlighted the fact he wont go to the gym to be the reason he has manboobs. Thats what I meant by unfair. 99% of guy's I know dont go to the gym and they dont have manboobs.

I'm sure we all agree that bad diet and lack of some sort of exercise will compound the problem, unless of course it is a hormone issue as suggested etc.
A gym is a great place to get that exercise and I would also recommend he investigates his college and finds out what options are available.
They may have times when the gym is quieter of even cardio classes are held. A quick walk past my local gym often reveals men and women attending that have bigger issues than just manboods! BUT, nobody is laughing at them, in fact quite the opposite. I personally respect anyone that is prepared to put in the effort to achieve thier personal goal.

I'm wondering now if this guy is actually watching this thread?

julius
n00b
n00b

Post by julius » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:25 am

@Rik-Blades: yes i am watching this thread. shyness, not cash, keeps me away from gym. the thing is that this website simply OVERWHELMED me when i searched for info.. so many links etc.. i wrote about my manboobs because honestly they are nagging me most.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:02 pm

julius wrote:@Rik-Blades: yes i am watching this thread. shyness, not cash, keeps me away from gym. the thing is that this website simply OVERWHELMED me when i searched for info.. so many links etc.. i wrote about my manboobs because honestly they are nagging me most.
Are you overweight, or do you just have excess fat on your chest but are normal weight overall? If it's the latter, your man boobs are most likely due to hormonal changes common among men your age. They will disappear on their own over the course of time if that's the cause of the problem.

If, on the other hand, you're overweight, you will have better success in losing weight if you combine resistance training, cardio and diet. And the gym is the best place to do resistance training, though not the only one.

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:54 pm

What I did was put a hoodie on. Works fine. Working out will build confidence, and eventually, with some work, you wont need it anymore. My problem now is that my t-shirts are too small for my chest/shoulders :(

amivan

Post by amivan » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:57 pm

julius wrote:@Rik-Blades: yes i am watching this thread. shyness, not cash, keeps me away from gym. the thing is that this website simply OVERWHELMED me when i searched for info.. so many links etc.. i wrote about my manboobs because honestly they are nagging me most.
honestly, unless you're really overrweight, chances are it's a dietary thing, its been linked to zinc deficiencies in men so taking some of those supplemental vitamins once a day or once every 2 days would likely help (as would, you know, working out ;-p )

PS how old are you?

and PS PS

doing resistance exercises that work the lower chest, shoulders, and upper back will help reduce the appearance on them.

julius
n00b
n00b

Post by julius » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:01 am

i'm 18; and the exercises you suggested are definately on my list.. as long as i get round to what they actually involve that is :) the beg page is useful, but as i said, has loads of info that i get lost into..which is why i told you guys i want to target my chest first. now if in that process the rest of my body loses weight, so much the better

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:29 pm

Don't feed the trolls.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:23 am

julius wrote:i'm 18; and the exercises you suggested are definately on my list.. as long as i get round to what they actually involve that is :) the beg page is useful, but as i said, has loads of info that i get lost into..which is why i told you guys i want to target my chest first. now if in that process the rest of my body loses weight, so much the better
"Targeting your chest" won't be the most productive route to achieving your goal. Working the whole body will help your chest most.

julius
n00b
n00b

Post by julius » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:04 pm

would 30-45 mins of walking/treadmill suffice? i don't think so

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:47 pm

I'm not sure why I'm answering. As Ironman said, "Don't feed the trolls." But just in case you are serious, I'll answer anyway.
julius wrote:would 30-45 mins of walking/treadmill suffice? i don't think so
That will not cause you to lose body fat. Many do it in hopes that it will but it's very ineffectual. Diet changes will provide most of fat loss. Resistance training will build and maintain lean mass while cutting fat and will help maintain the fat loss after the cutting stops. HIIT will provide a boost to fat loss by raising metabolism rates. The treadmill work will help in raising calorie burn but that will only be effective in support of a proper diet, resitance training and interval training. It would be the lowest priority training of the 3 types and would be virtually useless in all but the most detrained people.

Stu

julius
n00b
n00b

Post by julius » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:54 am

i am serious. dont' feed the trolls" - sorry, but i dont get the joke, maybe who said it can explain himself. i know i am a noob but that is why i joined the forum in the first place;

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:06 pm

The Ironman might explain himself, but I think he was just expressing how frustrating it is to answer questions about targeting a particular body part (and the chest is possibly the most common that people ask about) when the people who ask the question don't seem to believe or accept the answer. 6 or 8 people answer, repeating the standard (and true) advice that you can't "target the chest" or at least that it doesn't do any good, but they go on talking about whether lateral flyes or decline benches are what they need.

"Trolls" are people who get on forums and make controversial or contradictory statements in order to trigger argument on the forum, often under a false identity. I don't think you're a troll. I just think that the myth of spot reduction of fat is so common, and so deeply believed, thet you are having trouble accepting that it's not true.

If you "target the chest," there are 2 or 3 possible results. 1. Nothing at all. 2. A few muscles that are slightly stronger than they used to be, still tucked in behind the fat of your man boobs. 3. Shoulder injuries, because chest work without back work leads to imbalances and joint dysfunction.

If you improve your diet and do whole-body weight lifting, and possibly some HIIT, you will get stronger, and the man boobs will decrease along with the rest of your body fat.