I feel exhauseted after my day

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

uvhst3p
Associate Member
Associate Member

I feel exhauseted after my day

Post by uvhst3p » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:52 pm

hi guys! i am asking for tips on how to NOT feel tired and exhausted after working all day. i am asking because it's hard to exercise when i feel exhausted

here's what would likely be my normal schedule throughout the day:

6:00 a.m. - wake up
6:05 a.m. - boil water for a hot/warm bath. i don't know but when i take a bath with cold water, my stomach aches
6:06 a.m. to 6:19 a.m. - eat breakfast
6:20 a.m. to 6:35 a.m. - take a bath
6:36 a.m. to 6:50 a.m. - other bathroom activities like brushing teeth and toilet stuff
(sometimes i interchange the bathroom schedule)
6:51 a.m. - leave for work
7:50 a.m. - arrive at work. it takes a long time because traffic is hell. if there was no traffic, my commute time would be about only 35 minutes
...work throughout the day...i am a software engineer aka computer programmer
5:30 p.m. - leave the office
7:00 p.m. - arrive home. yes, it takes longer to travel home after work because other people go home from the office too and it's also the same time the children get out of their schools
7:01 p.m. to 7:05 p.m. - change to workout clothes
7:06 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. - exercise. < just an estimate. TThS weights, MWF (optional) cardio, EVERYDAY 2 gymnastics holds (see my journal)
8:01 p.m. to 8:25 p.m. - dinner preparations
8:26 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. - eat dinner
9:01 p.m. to 9:05 p.m. - bathroom
9:06 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. - relax before going to bed
10:01 p.m. to 5:59 a.m. - sleep
(if i don't get my 8 hours of sleep, i feel really tired and sleepy the next day. so, see the complications?)
Last edited by uvhst3p on Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amivan

Post by amivan » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:37 pm

You could prepare your meals the day before (also helps with dieting/eating well) as well as on the weekends when you have more time (and make meals for monday and tuesday) , instead of going home head to the gym right after work (bring your gym clothes/shoes with you). Other suggestions; drinking a a cup of coffee and/or green tea can help. So can power naps. Just remember, if you've had 8 hours of sleep then there's no reason you shouldn't have energy. Just throw some music you enjoy on and get into it, just be invested in your activities and you'll be much more awake and focused.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: I feel exhauseted after my day

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:22 pm

uvhst3p wrote:hi guys! i am asking for tips on how to NOT feel tired and exhausted after working all day. i am asking because it's hard to exercise when i feel exhausted
Drinking a cup of coffee or having an energy drink before working out is a stopgap measure to boost energy, but it might affect your sleep.

Fatigue can be the symptom of numerous conditions, some physical - like anemia, and some psychological - like depression. If your job is stressful it can invoke fatigue as a response. You're sleeping 8 hours a night, which is good on the surface. But some people (particularly those with sleep apnea) are shallow sleepers, and never get much of the deep restorative sleep. Such people often go through the day fatigued. Not consuming enough calories from your food or deficiencies in B-vitamins can result in fatigue. Not really being into exercise (going to the gym because it's something that you think that should do, not something that you want to do) or not having a clear exercise plan or fitness goals can cause a listless feeling at the gym. And on it goes.

Quite frankly, you should see a doctor if the fatigue that you're experiencing is affecting your quality of life.

Labyrinth
Novice
Novice

Post by Labyrinth » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:36 pm

To expand on Stephen's reply, fatigue is also a sign of over-training.

What's your exercise program consist of?

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:18 am

Anshan trains at home, not at a gym. You can see his routine on a day-by-day basis on his journal. I don't think he's overtraining.

Anshan, I'm concerned that you don't get enough total calories. We keep bugging you about eating more protein and less carbohydrate, but if you're not getting enough calories to meet your daily needs, it would be better to go ahead and eat the carbs. A less-than-ideally balanced diet is better than slow starvation. What's your weight been doing?

uvhst3p
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by uvhst3p » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:52 am

hmmm...so green tea can give me an energy boost? i drink that sometimes when i'm in the office. that's my afternoon snack most of the time. maybe i should drop by the 7-11 near us on my walk home and buy some gatorade or the 'fit-n-right' drink that contains l-carnatine and b vitamins.

i have to try that sometime...the music while working out.

well, i'm just tired when i arrive home after work but i feel fine when i'm at the office and i am only concerned with the fatigue because it affects my workout session. i don't know if i have sleep apnea but i am anemic that's why i drink the the multivitamins + IRON + stress reliever tablet every morning.

i'm sorry guys if i haven't been following your advices on diet much since i am affected by economic constraints.

about my weight, i think i weight about 110 lbs a month or two ago right? well, i just weighed myself just now and i dropped 1 pound making me 109 lbs

stuward

Post by stuward » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:34 am

Anshan, don't bother with Gatorade and the like. It's really not required and not that useful anyway. Save your money and buy some more eggs, fish and spinach.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:33 am

uvhst3p wrote:about my weight, i think i weight about 110 lbs a month or two ago right? well, i just weighed myself just now and i dropped 1 pound making me 109 lbs
For someone who isn't overweight, exercising under a calorie deficit will worsen your physical condition, not enhance it.

If you want to beat the fatigue, try upping your calories.

BTW - when I said "energy drink" in my prior post, I meant caffinated products like Red Bull rather than hydration drinks like Gatorade. But for your situation, both types of drinks are useless.

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Re: I feel exhauseted after my day

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:35 am

uvhst3p wrote:hi guys! i am asking for tips on how to NOT feel tired and exhausted after working all day. i am asking because it's hard to exercise when i feel exhausted

here's what would likely be my normal schedule throughout the day:

6:00 a.m. - wake up
6:05 a.m. - boil water for a hot/warm bath. i don't know but when i take a bath with cold water, my stomach aches
6:06 a.m. to 6:19 a.m. - eat breakfast
6:20 a.m. to 6:35 a.m. - take a bath
6:36 a.m. to 6:50 a.m. - other bathroom activities like brushing teeth and toilet stuff
(sometimes i interchange the bathroom schedule)
6:51 a.m. - leave for work
7:50 a.m. - arrive at work. it takes a long time because traffic is hell. if there was no traffic, my commute time would be about only 35 minutes
...work throughout the day...i am a software engineer aka computer programmer
5:30 p.m. - leave the office
7:00 p.m. - arrive home. yes, it takes longer to travel home after work because other people go home from the office too and it's also the same time the children get out of their schools
7:01 p.m. to 7:05 p.m. - change to workout clothes
7:06 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. - exercise. < just an estimate
8:01 p.m. to 8:25 p.m. - dinner preparations
8:26 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. - eat dinner
9:01 p.m. to 9:05 p.m. - bathroom
9:06 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. - relax before going to bed
10:01 p.m. to 5:59 a.m. - sleep
(if i don't get my 8 hours of sleep, i feel really tired and sleepy the next day. so, see the complications?)
There are some good idea's posted for you.

1) Drinking a cup of coffee or having an energy drink before working out/Stephen Johnson.

2) Fatigue is also a sign of over-training/Labyrinth.

3) Not consuming enough calories/Jungledoc.

Kenny Croxdale

recmatt
Novice
Novice

Post by recmatt » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:03 am

What's your work environment like? Being in an air-conditioned office all day breathing in recycled air can affect you. Also what do you eat and drink at work? Are you drinking enough water? How stressful is your job? There are many factors that could be contributing to your post-work exhaustion.

Rik-Blades
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Rik-Blades » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:05 am

You mention you are a Software Programmer, I can relate to your fatigue.

I program in html, asp and php and have alway's found it VERY tiring when troubleshooting problems and debugging.

It requires total concentration, more so than any other job I know, following the lines of code and doing the calculations in your head. If someone even comes over and talks to you, you lose your place and mainly have to start again. This is extremely taxing on the old grey matter!

The brain runs on glucose, and cannot metabolise fat to produce it's own fuel. Therefore it will steal all the available fuel from your bloodstream.

I would recommend you sip a sugary drink throught your working day or snack regularly and ALWAYS take a power nap if you can during breaks.

This wont be good for cutting, but unfortunatley this is one of the evils of your profession. You will just have to work harder at the old cardio to make up for it.

ellerbus
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ellerbus » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:10 am

Rik-Blades wrote:You mention you are a Software Programmer, I can relate to your fatigue.

I would recommend you sip a sugary drink throught your working day or snack regularly and ALWAYS take a power nap if you can during breaks.
I can relate as well, I develop 8+ hours a day plus I'm finishing my thesis. I find that getting up about once an hour to stretch helps as well. And my stretch usually consists of me walking to the water cooler to refill my glass or getting a snack out of the fridge.
Last edited by ellerbus on Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wouter
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Wouter » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:30 pm

When I need to study for exams, I usually do something active every 2 hours this helps to up my concentration and energy levels. When you don't do anything active for a few hours straight, several fatburning mechanisms are shut off, this results in a lower energy level.
My favourite is jumping rope, I don't know if it's possible for you to jump rope 10 min every 2 hours. You can also do a mini-circuit of bodyweight excersises like push-ups, chin-ups, burpees, mountain-climbers, jumping jacks, etc. there are endless options available.

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:51 pm

I am a stim-junkie through and through, and I can say that nothing beats having caffeine tablets or caffeine + yohimbine hcl + chocomine. Ups your mood and energizes you without all of the crappy sugars in your energy drinks (High Fructose garbage...)

uvhst3p
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by uvhst3p » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:38 pm

hi guys! i've been busy so i haven't been able to post the past couple of days

well, i am in an air conditioned office 9+ hours a day. a job's a job so i think i feel normal stress? you can see my journal on what i eat and drink throughout the day (which is close to none)

i didn't think that there's another software programmer(s) here in the forum. it's nice that to know people who i can relate to.

yeah i have to work on my cardio. i recently just started jumping rope again. i can do more than 30 minutes before but now i feel tired after 10 minutes.

hmmm...power naps...i can't do that. i never have been able to do that all my life. i really only sleep at night. you know, i am the only active person here in our IT department during lunchtime. see, after eating lunch, they turn off all lights and sleep. i can't sleep so i just surf the net until lunch break is over