Bear crawls

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

CoreAlex
Rookie
Rookie

Bear crawls

Post by CoreAlex » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:40 pm

I only have a simple question you see i added bear crawls to the workout and for some reason i feel stronger than ever, in fact i went to the wrestling mat yesterday and i was like faster and more explosive at taking shots after a mere 2 weeks of doing bear crawls, my question is why is this, and also can i do bear crawls everyday and eventualy get to the point where i can bear crawl as good as i walk?

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: Bear crawls

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:28 am

CoreAlex wrote:I only have a simple question you see i added bear crawls to the workout and for some reason i feel stronger than ever, in fact i went to the wrestling mat yesterday and i was like faster and more explosive at taking shots after a mere 2 weeks of doing bear crawls, my question is why is this, and also can i do bear crawls everyday and eventualy get to the point where i can bear crawl as good as i walk?
Bear crawls use both the arms and legs for locomotion. It's possible that the arm and upper body usage of bear crawls has some carryover to wrestling.

As for your questions about doing bear crawls everyday and the possibility of your bear crawling as fast as you can walk, that's pretty much for you to establish in your training routine and your training goals. But I doubt that bear crawls are a silver bullet that will make you into a champion wrestler.

CoreAlex
Rookie
Rookie

uhhh

Post by CoreAlex » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:40 am

I didnt say it was my silver bullet, i just said it helped me out a little, i just need to know if i can work out every day

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: uhhh

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:47 am

CoreAlex wrote:I didnt say it was my silver bullet, i just said it helped me out a little, i just need to know if i can work out every day
You can. Whether or not it will be of benefit to you is another question. Nobody on this site has a crystal ball where predictions can be made about how you'll react to a training exercise. We're all different in that regard. You have to learn by doing. Experience is the best teacher.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:43 am

Bear crawls aside, you could do almost ANY exercise everyday. The key isn't if you do it everyday or not, but rather, the volume and intensity of it. If you tried to do it every day for an hour, then of course, no, I wouldn't do it daily. But if you were using them as a finishing move for a workout, done for "X" amount of yards for maybe 2-3 runs after the weights, then yes, they probably could be used. Beneficial? Who knows. As Stephen said, just do it, and find out if it helps or not.
Tim

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:50 pm

I used to do bear crawls every practice in football. I got to where I could do them faster than I could walk. That was 18 years ago, though.

CoreAlex
Rookie
Rookie

hmmm

Post by CoreAlex » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:41 pm

so by the way im guessing bear crawls condition legs and shoulders, anything else?

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:29 am

I used to do bear claws years ago. They condition the stomach. Mine was like a big gelatinous beer keg. Took me a couple years to work those off. Never tried the crawls though.

:lol:

stuward

Re: hmmm

Post by stuward » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:39 am

CoreAlex wrote:so by the way im guessing bear crawls condition legs and shoulders, anything else?
coordination?

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:37 pm

The ability to do bear crawls?

TimD

Post by TimD » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:15 pm

How about GPP? General physical preparation. Thats what most coaches use them for. The abiity for strength endurance for the entire body used as a whole. Something very much needed for a sport such as wrestling.
Tim

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:59 pm

And much needed by stiff old codgers. I'll try them.

CoreAlex
Rookie
Rookie

yes!!!

Post by CoreAlex » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:14 pm

Guys i swear to god by doing bear crawls every day i have been dominatiing in wrestling. Its made my stance solid and no one can hold me down at bottom because im to used to the position so all i have to do is explode up. I just one a tournament by beating guys that beat me last year and i was so happy. By the way I bear crawl better than i walk now and i think i can do it almost as fast as jogging and whenever at my house alone i move around by doing bear crawls. I love them

lightningsix
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: yes!!!

Post by lightningsix » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:27 pm

CoreAlex wrote:Guys i swear to god by doing bear crawls every day i have been dominatiing in wrestling. Its made my stance solid and no one can hold me down at bottom because im to used to the position so all i have to do is explode up. I just one a tournament by beating guys that beat me last year and i was so happy. By the way I bear crawl better than i walk now and i think i can do it almost as fast as jogging and whenever at my house alone i move around by doing bear crawls. I love them
HAHA!
Sorry, no offense at all, I just got that mental image.
Be wary of strain on the back though, other than that, bear crawls are a great exercise.

Good Luck

Jungledoc

Re: yes!!!

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:40 pm

CoreAlex wrote:Guys i swear to god by doing bear crawls every day i have been dominatiing in wrestling. Its made my stance solid and no one can hold me down at bottom because im to used to the position so all i have to do is explode up. I just one a tournament by beating guys that beat me last year and i was so happy. By the way I bear crawl better than i walk now and i think i can do it almost as fast as jogging and whenever at my house alone i move around by doing bear crawls. I love them
Yeah, but is that the ONLY thing that's different than last year? Have you grown a lot in the year? Are you lifting more, or more consistently, or better than last year?

That's great, whatever the reason. Congratulations!

By the way, you "won" the tournament, not "one" it.