What's in a Gym? Depends on the "Gym"

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

nygmen

What's in a Gym? Depends on the "Gym"

Post by nygmen » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:01 pm

I can't help it, I'm on fire and I hope you guys can see where I'm coming from.

If you read my other post/novel you know I just started lifting again. Well I had gone to this "gym" because I received a coupon in the mail. My first mistake, I know, I'm not always bright, but I am always broke so 20 a month sounded like a great deal.

The place has limited equipment, I mean if you need a DB over 40lbs, you better be the only one, because they only have one set of any weight over 40lbs. Ok I can deal with that. No hyper stand/bench thing, Ok again I can live without that. It smells moldy and looks like my grandfathers house that he has been smoking in for 35 years, ok I mean it's only 20 dollars a month.

So I ask the young woman specifically when I signed up;

"It says on the coupon '3 days a week' membership. Does that mean I am limited to three days a week?"

"No, that means you have to work out at LEAST 3 days a week for 16 weeks in order to cancel, otherwise you are locked into a 2 year contract," she says.

I reply "perfect! Where do I sign?"

So today is one day short of 3 weeks I've been going, and the dude that punched me in has punched me in probably 7 out of the 14 times I have been in the last 3 weeks. And he decides today is the day to "enlighten" me that my membership only allows me to lift Tues, Thurs & Sunday. Long story short he was an arrogant pri*k to me, and kept with his, you're gonna have to talk to the owner bull. You have the authority to talk to me like I'm a second class citizen, and bust my balls, but not solve the problem? Hey buddy, if you can't solve a problem you encounter keep your fat mouth shut and tell someone who can solve it to approach me, because this just makes you an arrogant fat head with a power trip. (I didn't say that, I remained professional like it was a work conflict.)

I know legally they can't bind me to the contract under these conditions, but it's the principle of the matter that he won't just end it now and I have to drag this crap into next week and maybe even have to have a lawyer call for me.

The worst part is I feel horrible right now. I lost a sanctuary; I lost what keeps my head on my shoulders. The place I started going to again to eliminate my stress has caused me MORE stress.

The place down the street is month to month @ 37 a month, and has a ton more equipment. Looks like I'm going down the street and I will be better off in the end, but I still feel like I lost today.

UGH!

Thanks for reading, I kind of feel better now.

tyler

Post by tyler » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:40 pm

Makes me glad I work out at home now... :). I think gyms are dumb.

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:53 am

tyler wrote:Makes me glad I work out at home now... :). I think gyms are dumb.
Gyms are not dumb. The people that work in them are.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:01 am

brook011 wrote:
Gyms are not dumb. The people that work in them are.
Some of the people who work in SOME of them are dumb.

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:59 am

I wonder if gyms will have better employees if the traffic that goes in there is more BB/athlete oriented, rather than a gym full of big bobs trying to burn off those 25 chicken wings by doing 10^3 in ab crunches or silly sallys walking on the treadmil for an hour trying to burn off that tub of ice cream she had before she went.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:20 am

ironmaiden708 wrote:I wonder if gyms will have better employees if the traffic that goes in there is more BB/athlete oriented, rather than a gym full of big bobs trying to burn off those 25 chicken wings by doing 10^3 in ab crunches or silly sallys walking on the treadmil for an hour trying to burn off that tub of ice cream she had before she went.
So you have been to this gym? Because you seem to know the clients well.

The only ones your forgetting is the dudes that can curl 80lbs with ease but can't do a dip or bench 135lbs more than twice. (Insert smilie of little yellow face smashing itself against a wall.)
Jungledoc wrote:Some of the people who work in SOME of them are dumb.
Very true, but the question is: How does one tell which gym, and which people are NOT dumbasses when you have a 5 min tour? (Aside for the shoulder machine thread i've seen around here before.) Are there any warning signs us "forever newbies" can look out for?

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:33 am

I have space, funding, and motivation issues at home, but in a perfect world, I envy those that do/can work out at home sometimes.

Other times I like the gym. Especially if someone else is doing something I have never done and it looks like it will kick my ass. Always got to be on the lookout for people that know how to do stuff you don't.

And the gym is to me generally like church is to crazy Mel Gibson. It's my place to be me, it is my sanctuary. (Except, I don't hate Jewish people.) No family, no work, no cell phones (aside from the few jackasses), my blackberry stays in the car, my friends aren't standing around drinking telling me stories starting drama like hens in a pen, no dishes to wash, no laundry to do, no gas to buy, no 401k to worry about, no exams to study for, no worries, no pain, no tears, just me and some weight.

It's like hitting the reset button 5 times a week. God why didn't I start lifting again months ago?

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:25 pm

Just a stupid side note, but the 25 chicken wings wouldn't be that hard to burn off. It should be something like 500 calories of chicken, mostly protein, virtually nothing in the hot sauce. Then a little butter an oil maybe 200 calories, all fat. You may get a little glucose conversion from the protein and then the fat of course. provided you didn't eat anything else, you could end up with a calorie deficit depending on your metabolism. Chicken is 35 calories per ounce, and mostly protein. The thing with a protein/fat meal is, that it is very filling. It is extremely difficult to overeat with that because of how filling it is. It delays your next meal too because of how much longer it takes to digest it. I forgot to mention the high thermal effect of the protein too. You loose a lot of it through heat. So while chicken may produce 35 calories in a blast furnace, you loose a good chunk of that energy during digestion.

Most likely that hypothetical fat guy had, a couple chicken wings, a bunch of tortilla chips, a giant burger with a huge white flour bun, a gigantic plate piled with a pound of fries and 30 to 50 ounces of HFC loaded soda. and then topped it off with a large helping of dessert. Likely taking in as many as 2000 calories of mostly quick digesting food. Then he half asses it on the treadmill for 20 minutes, does some easy ab work, and burns maybe 300 calories. That is probably a more accurate description of your average American.

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:30 pm

All dumb employees aside, gyms are great for keeping you motivated. When you work out at home, you are alot less likely to work out for the proper amount, and on a regular basis "for most people". You can get a good workout at home, but I think for most people, they're not going to stick with it. As for the people inside my gym... I swear 5 o clock is work on your biceps hour. You can literally see 8-10 guys, all over by the freeweights, curling dumbbells... or worse, using a power rack to curl while I wait to squat. Oh, and drinking energy drinks or the 3$ bottled water from the cooler up front.

Personally, I love going back to the school gym, after using a World Gym all summer. I press weight over my head that most people are trying to bench. 8 months ago I was lucky to bench 135. The benefit of going to this gym, was the broader range of weights, and the motivation of "since I'm here, I should work hard" attitude. You don't get that at home.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:57 pm

Ironman wrote:Just a stupid side note, but the 25 chicken wings wouldn't be that hard to burn off. It should be something like 500 calories of chicken, mostly protein, virtually nothing in the hot sauce. Then a little butter an oil maybe 200 calories, all fat. You may get a little glucose conversion from the protein and then the fat of course. provided you didn't eat anything else, you could end up with a calorie deficit depending on your metabolism. Chicken is 35 calories per ounce, and mostly protein. The thing with a protein/fat meal is, that it is very filling. It is extremely difficult to overeat with that because of how filling it is. It delays your next meal too because of how much longer it takes to digest it. I forgot to mention the high thermal effect of the protein too. You loose a lot of it through heat. So while chicken may produce 35 calories in a blast furnace, you loose a good chunk of that energy during digestion.

Most likely that hypothetical fat guy had, a couple chicken wings, a bunch of tortilla chips, a giant burger with a huge white flour bun, a gigantic plate piled with a pound of fries and 30 to 50 ounces of HFC loaded soda. and then topped it off with a large helping of dessert. Likely taking in as many as 2000 calories of mostly quick digesting food. Then he half asses it on the treadmill for 20 minutes, does some easy ab work, and burns maybe 300 calories. That is probably a more accurate description of your average American.
Hilarious…

People with minds like yours are the only reason I have hope for America in my life time.

Please have like 35 kids and teach them.

That's the best part of this site, you guys are like a collection of Yoda's...

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:32 pm

Ironman wrote:Most likely that hypothetical fat guy had, a couple chicken wings, a bunch of tortilla chips, a giant burger with a huge white flour bun, a gigantic plate piled with a pound of fries and 30 to 50 ounces of HFC loaded soda. and then topped it off with a large helping of dessert. Likely taking in as many as 2000 calories of mostly quick digesting food. Then he half asses it on the treadmill for 20 minutes, does some easy ab work, and burns maybe 300 calories. That is probably a more accurate description of your average American.
What? No beer? Or soda?
nygmen wrote:Please have like 35 kids and teach them.
Just a warning--the rumor is that Ironman's girlfriend just took out a contract on your life. Watch out! :lol:
nygmen wrote:That's the best part of this site, you guys are like a collection of Yoda's...
Many of the guys are wise like Yoda. Sadly, I only look like him.

By the way, how slow will a treadmill go? While I was on vacation in the US I worked out in a gym, and saw a lady walking on a treadmill, and I'm sure she was walking slower than she could have walked in from her car. In fact, if she'd walked that slowly in the parking lot, someone would have knocked her down and started CPR on her. What's the treadmill for? To slow you down and keep you from over-doing it?

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:55 pm

Jungledoc wrote:By the way, how slow will a treadmill go? While I was on vacation in the US I worked out in a gym, and saw a lady walking on a treadmill, and I'm sure she was walking slower than she could have walked in from her car. In fact, if she'd walked that slowly in the parking lot, someone would have knocked her down and started CPR on her. What's the treadmill for? To slow you down and keep you from over-doing it?
Was just having this conversation with my wife about a friend of hers that goes to the new gym I went to.

Yeah, Americans can justify any activity or lack there of to themselves, and think they are doing wonders for themselves and the world. Think OJ Simpson, he honestly believes he didn't do it. (I love America and all, we just need focus & maturity on a nation wide scale. We are kind of like a puppy that keeps dropping muffins on the carpet when you go to work.)

IMO if you can keep your hand and head steady enough to read a book while on the treadmill or elliptical, you're not working hard enough.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:14 pm

Welcome you are. Too much is 35 kids. Have them I shall not. Have one perhaps shall I. Have none might I though.

Actually I did put soda in there.

It is amazing what people can justify. Look up the world peace topic in the lounge. We get to talking about religion. It is pretty interesting. There is a politics thread in the lounge as well.

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:00 pm

You know what point I was trying to make. You probably are right that they probably have other foods in the mix as well if they are eating wings. Next time we get some wings in our house i'll post the nutrition label from the bag on here.

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:38 pm

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calori ... ngs-499037

In all honesty, the last time I had wings from wingstop, I think I pounded out a good 25 wings. I'm sure a light treadmill walk will burn that off :)