What's in a Gym? Depends on the "Gym"

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:09 pm

Ironman wrote:It is amazing what people can justify. Look up the world peace topic in the lounge. We get to talking about religion. It is pretty interesting. There is a politics thread in the lounge as well.
Umm. I'm half way through the 3rd page of the religion thread. Had to stop for a min, touchy stuff, but I do hope this turns out as good as the dumb shoulder machine thread...

I'm pretty sure that is too much salt for anything to taste good let along wings, IMO... Ugh

tyler

Post by tyler » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:24 pm

My main beef with gyms is not what anyone has said here. Then again, I've only had one positive experience with one employee, so yes, I haven't had great experiences with the employees. But none of the rest have been particularly friendly. In fact I think one personal trainer was trying to move in on my ex...but that is another story.

My main beef is the long contracts they make you sign...especially before you have had a chance to really experience a place. I signed up for a year contract...and when my wallet was stolen I had to cancel the Credit card. Long story short...while all the mumbo jumbo that was going on at the time, I forgot to tell my gym that my wallet had been stolen and blah blah blah. Well...they told me about 2 months later, and also slapped on some dumb late fees, even though I was perfectly willing to finish out the contract and just had this one mistake. I decided to instead just work out from home for now on...no more gyms...I am actually more motivated at home then I ever was at the gym anyhow. I know its different for some...but I prefer solitude I guess.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:09 am

brook011 wrote:http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calori ... ngs-499037

In all honesty, the last time I had wings from wingstop, I think I pounded out a good 25 wings. I'm sure a light treadmill walk will burn that off :)
Er, 188 calories and 0g of protein in a wing? Geez. I ran up 25 x 1 wing serving on that site and I can't believe the result.

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:39 am

I think I'll have wingstop today :)

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:17 pm

Those must be some gigantic wings and something sugary or breading with that kind of a calorie count.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:03 pm

Oh man, first workout in the new gym.

Why is it my luck it’s a push day? I kind of fit right in with the highschool kids except they can bench more than my scrawny ass. Sweet so the Trainer/Salesman, that was a cool dude, no pressure, no following me around bugging me about what I was doing, even thinks I'm a frat boy bench artist.

Although when they all skipped off to work Tri's I was still making my way back down and on my 6th bench set, so that made me feel a bit better.

Just incase you guys cared about an update, I'm still fighting the old gym over the contract, but the owner seemed to realize I understand the law today, and I think she is going to give up the fight.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:35 pm

There are often very good articles at T-Nation. The T-Nation forums are something else; I don't frequent them at all, but I check the new articles every week.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:44 pm

pdellorto wrote:There are often very good articles at T-Nation. The T-Nation forums are something else; I don't frequent them at all, but I check the new articles every week.
Yeah, what you do is probably correct, I did the opposite and it freaked me out.

stuward

Post by stuward » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:52 pm

I used to spend a lot of time on their forums. In fact I still have more posts there than here. I've cut way back the last few months as I have found it stopped being a place where people want to learn. There are a couple of threads I watch, particularly in the Over 35 forum but it's not fun anymore.

KPj

Post by KPj » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:19 am

I agree. The forums are too much. It's like a virtual school playground. If you have the time you can find some pretty good threads, and well known coaches occassionally chime in on random threads. The articles, in my opinion, are unrivalled. I've yet to see a site with so much good information (directly from reputable coaches), and such a diverse range of information as well. There's stuff there for everyone, of all training levels.

I think the locker rooms are brilliant too - places where you can go and question whatever coaches are on line. Also threads for products (like MM or I/O) where you can ask specific questions. Sometimes you learn more from these Q and A type threads than you do with the articles. Also, Tony Gentilcore has a training log on it now, which is worth checking out.

KPj

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:21 am

and on my 6th bench set,
Ugh why are you doing 6 sets of bench? Thats worthless and overkill for what level you are at. 3 sets of 8-10 should do you just fine.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:13 am

ironmaiden708 wrote:
and on my 6th bench set,
Ugh why are you doing 6 sets of bench? Thats worthless and overkill for what level you are at. 3 sets of 8-10 should do you just fine.
My lifting goals these days are body fatigue for stress relief. On my push days if I do 3 sets I still feel pretty good, and it doesn’t quite wipe me out like I need. My job is pretty stressful right now, and I need help.

I know it’s not necessarily the smartest thing in the world, but hey, I breathe heavy and feel wasted after, so it works for me right now.

Plus I’m not lifting all that much weight and only doing 30 or so reps total:
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
As many as possible @ 45

All with DB and enough rest so I won’t pass out, but not a lot.

Same thing for incline except with 30, 35 & 40lbs.

Then all shoulder work is 3 sets low weight.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:24 am

It depends on intensity. If your are lifting to failure 6 is overkill. But if your aren't it might be ok.

That said, I think more weight is required.

KPj

Post by KPj » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:36 am

Just last night, I done 6 sets of 6-8 reps on DB incline bench press. However, it was an upper body day and the only other 'push' in the work out was 'T-Pushups'.

Just thought I would stir it up a little :grin:

KPj

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:38 am

Ironman wrote:It depends on intensity. If your are lifting to failure 6 is overkill. But if your aren't it might be ok.

That said, I think more weight is required.
HA HA Yeah more weight is absolutly needed. I'm still a huge pansy, but i figure at the rate I have been going the last month, i should be at least back to where I was in college in about 12 more weeks. (assuming all the secondary factors fall in place.)

I only lift to failure on the heavyest weight and the last set, i leave something in the tank on the rest of them.

Man if i put it up you guys would hammer me about my pull days SO much worse...

(I do appreciate the advise BTW.)